The Wythe
2221 Kecoughtan Road
Hampton, VA 23661

THEN: NOW:
Courtesy of http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/38128 March 2002 - Courtesy of http://fsweb.wm.edu/amst370/instudy/ekrobi/wythe.htm
01/23/15 03/11/03


Located in the Wythe district of Hampton, at the corner of Kecoughton Road and Chesterfield Road. The Wythe Theatre opened on October 6, 1939, and played second-run movies.

Movies would play at the Palace Theatre at Newport News, and then transfer to the Wythe Theatre. The theatres were operated by Gordon family.

The Wythe Theatre was still open in 1950. By the late-1960ís it was operating as the Wythe Cinema.

Today it operates as an Auto Zone motor spares store.

- Contributed by Ken Roe, http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/38128
 


(This page was created on 03/11/03.)


20th Century Fox theme song midi courtesy of http://www.moviethemes.org/midis/midisa-f/20thcenturyfox.mid,
 at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 07/09/03
 Thanks, Dave!

Sparkling Theater Lights clip art courtesy of http://gifsnow.com/ - 05/22/03

October 03, 1939 Newspaper Ad courtesy of http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/38128 - 01/23/15

Back to Old Peninsula Movie Theaters

Return to NNHS Class of 1965