04/19/08 - NNHS Newsletter -
“And Moses said unto the people, Remember this day,
- Exodus 13:3
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Passover begins tonight at sundown. This theme repeats itself annually, but of course, on different days:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/04-02-07-NNHS-Passover-Wishes.html - Your Homework and Bonus Recipes are here!
EXTRA CREDIT - BONUS MENU:
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Syta-9hZYs&NR=1 - Happy Passover!
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8Lei9grg0 - Celebrate Passover- Exodus from Egypt
BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awl1KCo_oZ0 - The Passover Seder Symbols Song - Parody Lyrics by Barry Levy (I hope this lighthearted song isn't considered disrespectful; a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...)
BONUS #4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4NRvSEW8nI&NR=1 - Jerusalem - The Eternal Capital of Israel
BONUS #5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAR2uOOW7eM&NR=1 - Moscow Male Jewish Cappella - Yerushalaim Shel Zahav
BONUS #6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlIJOAZ1pak&NR=1 - Ofra Haza - Yerushalaim Shel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold), 1998 - WOWZERONI!!
BONUS #7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gvMZhMewtA - Passover in Vienna, 1947 - Never Forget (very moving)
Happy Birthday Monday to
Happy Birthday this week to:
22 - Peggy Lovic Hooper-McLain ('57);
23 - Evelyn Casey Snead ('57) AND Peggy Hartsel Sack ('57);
24 - Donald Smith ('57) of VA;
25 - Lolly Wynne Burke ('57)!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Sydney Dearing ('56) of TN - 04/17/08 - " Nancy (Dearing Berry - '62 - of TX) & Laddy":
|Somehow the Daily Press got wind of this and sent a reporter and photographer to the school They did an article which ran in the paper with these pictures. Nancy and Laddy were suddenly famous. People from all over were driving by our house and by the school to see if they could get a glimpse of the sliding board dog. All of our relatives, even ones we rarely saw or talked to were calling and telling us that they were bragging to all their friends that they were related to Nancy.|
WOWZERONI - what an enchanting story!!! Thanks so much, Sydney!
I've added this to the Woodrow Wilson School page:
From Bill ('61) and Audrey Bost of NC - 04/18/08:
Blessed Passover to all who are observing this season of Holy Days.
Bill & Audrey Bost
Thanks, Bill and Audrey!
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA - 04/18/08 - "Please email me at Jwdvt@aol.com if you can explain what is going on?":
It appears that Tom Wilkinson, Jim Van Noy, and ? (could be Don Goldenbaum) are throwing someone (who?) out of an NNHS window.
Do you recall what this is all about?
WILD GIGGLES!!! Just another fun day at school, hmm, Fellas?
From Mark Friedman ('65) of VA - 04/18/08 - "The Circle of Life":
The Circle of Life
What is Success?...
A Simple Explanation
the age of 12, Success means :
the age of 18, Success means :
the age of 20, Success means :
the age of 35, Success means :
the age of 75, Success means :
the age of 70, Success means :
the age of 60, Success means :
the age of 50, Success means :
There you have it . . .
Enjoy Success !
From Elaine Wilkinson Bracken ('61) of VA - 04/18/08 - "Tips on Junk Mail~~ A MUST Read!":
These are GREAT ideas and I will start using them just to get the satisfaction!
"And your name, Sir?"
"This is Joe Glubglub."
"And what is your address, Sir?"
"Two-ty-Two, Two-ty-Two Boogie Woogie Avenue. And I would really love to have one of these items, but could you hurry, please? The bad check squad is here to pick me up."
That Milesy! He was always such fun! I really miss him.....
From Wayne Stokes ('65) of VA - 04/18/08 - "Important Message about Getting Old":
From Rip(Collins - '65 - of TN) to me to you! You gotta hurry, or thoughts evaporate!! Some "editorial" liberties were taken regarding the first word, my good friend Rip didn't know I would forward his wisdom and therefore it was NOT sent with a "G" rating! Not that bad, really; I think?
Important Message about Getting Old
NOPE! Not bad at all! Thanks, Wayne Honey!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1.Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancer last week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"; update of 04/14/08: "now dealing with a blood clot in his pic line; receiving daily injections in the abdomen and taking antibiotics and blood thinners; feels pretty good in spite of everything and his ATTITUDE is great---as usual"
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups..... ; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08
6. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - still in pain, running a fever; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08
7. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08; update of 03/22/08: recovering nicely
8. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08; update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"
9. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"
10. Heidi Hice MacKay of MI and her Family - stressing over their beloved patriarch since late January 2008; update of 03/17/08: still needing our prayers; update of 04/14/08 - SEE: 04/14/08
11. Herb Hice of MI and the MacKay Family - triple bypass surgery plus carotid artery cleanup - @ 01/25/08; update of 03/10/08: still being sedated while not on the ventilator, but made it for nine hours on 03/09/08; "holding his own"; update of 03/17/08: not much progress, but no regression, either; update of 03/24/08: "some good days and some bad days; the doctors caring for Herbie are just taking a wait and see approach and playing it by ear day by day"; update of 03/31/08: stays awake longer, off the ventilator longer, now enjoying his beloved opera, card shower requested; update of 04/07/08: "He is still about the same, but some days better, some worse; stays off the vent for as along as eleven hours"; update of 04/14/08 -"will blink his eyes if Heidi asks him to, but otherwise...no response. The doctors are puzzled. "
12. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA - recovering from surgery on her ankle; update of 04/05/08: "has had a cast reapplied and then replaced in the past 2 weeks, and will have to have the pin in her ankle replaced on April 22nd. She is in good spirits and gets around on a little scooter. She can't use crutches because of back surgery fairly recently. She has a lot of pain and discomfort with that, too"; update of 04/14/08: "doing better and sounded great (on 04/12)"
13.Jesse Kersey ('58) of VA: update of 04/14/08 - "remains hospitalized, continues to undergo tests, and doctors suspect the problem may be thyroid related"; update of 04/18/08 - SEE ABOVE
14. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"
15. Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) of VA - suffered second massive heart attack - 01/31/08; update of 03/13/08: "is doing very well. She is taking some kind of cardio rehab therapy and she is feeling well enough that she has gone back to work. She's only working 1/2 days..."
16. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
17. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!
18. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"
19. Jimmy Shires ('57) of VA - update of 03/30/08: emergency appendectomy caused by ruptured appendix; will be in the hospital 3 - 4 days
20. Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - suffered heart attack 02/13/08
21. All of Us
1. Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 22nd Annual "Almost World Famous" Sertoma Sock Hop, Lakeland, FL
2. Saturday, April 26, 2008 - the Mary Christian Auditorium, Thomas Nelson Community College, reception at 6:30, reading at 8:00, Q&A with the playwright - Bill Black (a.k.a. Jim Quinn) ('66) of GA, director, and cast afterwards - 757-224-8937; www.ironstreetproductions.com
3. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1958.html - 03/18/08
4.Saturday, June 7, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1957 AND OTHER NNHS ALUMNI
5. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
6. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 03/31/08 - "Don't do this" (#10 in a Series of 23):
I hope you get all the pictures!!! Also notice that most all the pictures have men in them!! And they say women are dumb!!! These guys don't even have the "blonde" excuse.
These are very good examples of things that we should NOT do at home, work, or any where else for that matter.
YOWZERONI-RINI!!! Thanks, Joyce!
|HMMM, maybe he couldn't see the huge yellow sign that said CLEARANCE.|
YET ONCE AGAIN: Being unable to operate much above automatic pilot level at the moment, I am still working on the great new entry that Bill Lee (Warwick HS - '54) of NC sent me - in two different formats - on 04/13/08. I think I'm definitely making progress, but it still isn't done. I know he thinks I'm a blithering idiot, but that's only because ..... it's so true.
Have a Blessed Passover!
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Yerushalaim Shel Zahav
Avir harim tsalul kayayin
Nisa beruach ha'arbayim
Im kol pa'amonim
Uvtardemat ilan va'even
Ha'ir asher badad yoshevet
Yerushalayim she zahav
Veshel nechoshet veshel or
Halo lechol shirayich ani kinor (2x)
Eicha yavshu borot hamayim
Kikar hashuk reika
Ve'ein poked et Har Habayit
Uvam'arot asher basela
Ve'ein yored el Yam Hamelach
Ach bevo'i hayom lashir lach
Velach likshor ketarim
Katonti mitze'ir banayich
Ki shmech tsorev et hasfatayim
Im eshkachech Yerushalayim
Asher kula zahav
Chazarnu el borot hamayim
Shofar korei beHar Habayit
Uvam'arot asher basela
Alfei shmashot zorchot
Veshuv nered el Yam Hamelach
Jerusalem of Gold
The air of the mountains is as clear as wine
And the fragrance of the pine trees
Is lifted upon the evening breeze
With the ringing of the bells
And in the deep sleep of the tree and the stone
Held captive in a dream
The city which sits alone
And in her heart, a wall
Jerusalem of gold
And of copper and of light
For all of your songs
I am the harp
How the water cisterns have dried up
The city square is empty
Nobody goes up to the Temple Mount
In the Old City
And in the caves of the rocks
And no one goes down to the Dead Sea
Upon the Jericho Road
Jerusalem of gold...
Although I come to sing to you today
And to tie crowns upon you
I am less than the youngest of your sons
And the last of the sweet singers
For your name singes the lips
Like the kiss of the serpent
If I forget thee, oh Jerusalem
She is completely golden
Jerusalem of gold...
We have returned to the water cisterns
To the marketplace and the square
A shofar calls out on the Temple Mount
In the Old City
And in the caves in the rocks
A thousand suns shine forth
And again we will go down to the Dead Sea
Upon the Jericho Road
Jerusalem of gold...
"Yerushalaim Shel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold)" midi and lyrics courtesy
of http://www.greatjewishmusic.com/Midifiles/Yom_Haatzmaut/JerusalemGold.html - 04/18/08
Passover Image courtesy of http://www.cinnamonhearts.com/PassoverSeder.htm - 04/18/08
Animated Star of David Divider Line clip art courtesy of - well, I don't know, but it's been in my files since 04/02/05
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Hillsboro Topper (Band Version) clip art courtesy of
Marine Corps Seal clip art
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Animated Navy Flag courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Animated Arrow clip art courtesy of http://www.fg-a.com/arrows.htm - 04/19/08
Animated Laughing Jerry courtesy
of Cookie Phillips Tyndall ('64) of VA - 06/14/06
Animated Yehaa Typhoon
clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 08/18/05
Animated Army Flag courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Laughter clip art courtesy of
McCain Rose ('65) of VA - 01/24/06
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al
Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965