- NNHS Newsletter -
“The moon is essentially gray, no color. It looks like plaster of Paris,
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
We now have reports from four of my little chickadees for another song for our April themes, and we may yet return to them. There are certainly plenty available on YouTube; we just haven't located appropriate midi files yet to be able to accomplish everything at once Stay tuned for further developments.
Thanks again, Sweetie-Pies!
Meanwhile, today's song, located for us by Our Wizard of Wonderment, Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA, was originally used here three years ago today:
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awRkRa2UxvE - The Marcels, 1961 (no video)
BIRTHDAYS - TODAY AND UPCOMING:
Brownie Shaffer Haracivet ('62)
of VA AND
Susan Avent Hill ('66) of VA
Kathy Cooper ('70) of VA:
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Harvey Weinstein ('57) AND Richard Rawls ('71) of VA!
this week to:
13 - Gil Hughes ('64);
14 - Linda DeShazo Hatchett (’65) of VA;
18 - Monty Phillips ('62) of VA AND Bill Wolfley ('70) of VA
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
Hit #72,000 was made on Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM by Bob Schweida ('54) of NH!
Does anyone know how to contact Billy Carmines (Hampton HS - '65) (I think). We've been searching for him for several years now with no success, and we really most anxiously would like to find him. Thanks!
From Anonymous Inquirer - 04/09/08:
From Gloria Woolard Price (Hampton HS - '65) of FL - 04/09/08, 3:44 PM:
From Anonymous Inquirer - 04/09/08, 5:03 PM:
From Tom Norris (Hampton HS -'73) of VA - 04/09/08, 6:28 PM:
Carol ... address for Billy
Carmines (HHS-65) ... from the 2003 Alumni Directory:
PO Box 880
Dillwyn VA 23936
Hope this helps ... take care ...
From Domi O'Brien ('64) of NH - 04/09/08, 7:22 PM:
While I don't find any Billy Carmines when I use Zabasearch, I find plenty of William Carmines-- 23 listings in Virginia, and dozens around the country. Some of these are obviously too young, but some have no birth years given-- and some are right in the Tidewater area....
(LOTSA addresses attached!)
Thanks so much to all who responded! The search continues, but perhaps will end well - and soon!
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of VA - 04/10/08:
Does anyone know of Norma Cox, Hampton HS 63?
Let's find out, Norris!
From Jerry Gammon ('63) of VA - 04/09/08 - "Shameless Self Promotion":
Carol, as the subject line implies, this is shameless, but it is nice to be written about for something you really care(d) about and was a big part of your life for 11 years.
The article, and multimedia video that can be clicked on at page 2, tell the story of the demise of Polaroid photography, something dear to my heart. The pictures in the video clip are me, but the voice belongs to one of the Beverly Hillbillies!
P.S. Here is my challenge: I will attend the October reunion if Louis (Fuzzy) Turner ('63 - of NC) does!
The complete article can be viewed at:
Jerry Gammon NNHS ‘63
Senior Director of Operations
Boys & Girls Club of the Virginia Peninsula
11825 Rock Landing Drive
Suite B. Chesapeake Building
Newport News, VA 23606
WOWZERONI-YOWZERONI!!! The article and video are great, but the disappearance of the Polaroid film - and thus your whole art form - is very sad and all but incomprehensible! Thanks for sharing this with us, Jerry. My condolences upon your loss.
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 04/09/08 - "In case anyone is having a rough time.........":
"True commitment begins when we reach the point of
not knowing how we can possibly go on, and decide to do it anyway."
Thanks, Shari! (If someone out there is NOT having a rough time, do let the rest of us know about it.....)
From Don Chaney ('66) of MD - 04/09/08:
Well, I would love to do that, Honey, really I would, but you've already been on there for quite some time, so I'll just wish you a Very Merry Un-Birthday instead! ;o)
30 - Don Chaney ('66) of MD - 1948
From Raoul Weinstein ('57) of FL - 04/09/08:
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 04/010/08 - "One Question IQ Test ":
Actually, I answered correctly - and the shock of that almost knocked me for a loop! Thanks, Joyce!
From Me ('65) of NC - 04/12/08 - "YIKESARONI!!!":
In preparing this Newsletter, I found FOUR emails I had not previously seen. If you haven't heard back from me by now, and you think you surely should have, PLEASE write me back! I may STILL not have found it! Thanks!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancerlast week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups.....
6. Evelyn Casey Snead ('57) of VA - gallbladder surgery on 03/12/08
7. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again
8. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08; update of 03/22/08: recovering nicely
9. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08
10. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"
11. Heidi Hice MacKay of MI and her Family - stressing over their beloved patriarch since late January 2008; update of 03/17/08: still needing our prayers
12. Herb Hice of MI and the MacKay Family - triple bypass surgery plus carotid artery cleanup - @ 01/25/08; update of 03/10/08: still being sedated while not on the ventilator, but made it for nine hours on 03/09/08; "holding his own"; update of 03/17/08: not much progress, but no regression, either; update of 03/24/08: "some good days and some bad days; the doctors caring for Herbie are just taking a wait and see approach and playing it by ear day by day"; update of 03/31/08: stays awake longer, off the ventilator longer, now enjoying his beloved opera, card shower requested; update of 04/07/08: "He is still about the same, but some days better, some worse; stays off the vent for as along as eleven hours."
13. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA - recovering from surgery on her ankle; update of 04/05/08: "has had a cast reapplied and then replaced in the past 2 weeks, and will have to have the pin in her ankle replaced on April 22nd. She is in good spirits and gets around on a little scooter. She can't use crutches because of back surgery fairly recently. She has a lot of pain and discomfort with that, too."
14. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"
15. Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) of VA - suffered second massive heart attack - 01/31/08; update of 03/13/08: "is doing very well. She is taking some kind of cardio rehab therapy and she is feeling well enough that she has gone back to work. She's only working 1/2 days..."
16. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
17. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!
18. Jimmy Shires ('57) of VA - update of 03/30/08: emergency appendectomy caused by ruptured appendix; will be in the hospital 3 - 4 days
19. Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - suffered heart attack 02/13/08
20. All of Us
1. Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 22nd Annual "Almost World Famous" Sertoma Sock Hop, Lakeland, FL
2. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1958.html - 03/18/08
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
4. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 03/31/08 - "Don't do this" (#3 in a Series of 23):
I hope you get all the pictures!!! Also notice that most all the pictures have men in them!! And they say women are dumb!!! These guys don't even have the "blonde" excuse.
These are very good examples of things that we should NOT do at home, work, or any where else for that matter.
YOWZERONI-RINI!!! Thanks, Joyce!
|Ummmm - at least someone's holding the ladder steady|
STILL TO COME - something waaay cool fromAl Simms ('60) of VA!
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Words by Lorenz Hart
Music by Richard Rodgers
Blue Moon, You saw me standing alone,
Without a dream in my heart,
Without a love of my own.
Blue Moon, You knew just what I was there for,
You heard me saying a pray'r for....
Someone I really could care for,
And then there suddenly appeared before me,
The only one my arms will ever hold,
I heard somebody whisper, "Please adore me",
And when I looked the moon had turned to gold!
Blue Moon, Now I'm no longer alone,
Without a dream in my heart,
Without a love of my own.
midi courtesy of
at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/08/05
("Man!! It was hard to find the R&R version of this one")
But it was worth it, Dave! Thanks so much!
lyrics courtesy of
also at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/08/05
Thanks again, Dave!
Full Moon clip art courtesy of http://webclipart.miningco.com/library/cos/blmoon1.htm - 09/20/04
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Moon" Divider Line courtesy of - ME - 04/09/05
("I made it myself from scratch." HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!)
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Marine Corps Seal clip art courtesy of Herbert Hice of MI - one of my Famous Marines who served in the South Pacific during WWII.
Page Hit Counter clip art courtesy of http://www.bravenet.com - 03/07/06
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Animated Laughing Jerry courtesy
of Cookie Phillips Tyndall ('64) of VA - 06/14/06
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965