03/15/08 - NNHS Newsletter
“Beware the Ides of March.”
of March is the fifteenth; which day of the month the ides is
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
All this week leading up to St. Patrick's Day, we'll be singing Irish songs. This one describes transportation to Van Dieman's Land (Van Dieman's Land was changed to Tasmania, which is now part of Australia), a common punishment in 19th century Britain and Ireland until the 1850's.
I've long owned a copy of the Irish Rovers singing it, and it's a favorite of mine. Unable to locate that version for you, I have two very different arrangements instead. As it is a traditional folk song, you'll notice the lyrics will vary with each interpretation:
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cnzstOtW2k - The Dubliners
DOUBLE BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGVct6391lo - The High Kings - The Black Velvet Band AND The Wild Rover
1. Ruth Ann Reece Horace ('67) of FL - "NNHS news":
I got your website from Marty Whitmore McCoy ('67 - of VA) and would like to get the newsletters. My brothers Bill ('68) and Garland ('70) graduated from NNHS. My sister Kathy was in the class of 72 and had to go to Warwick. This is a wonderful service and I will tell Bill and Kathy about it. Garland drowned in a kayak accident in 2001. He worked for NASA and loved to play Country music with bands in the tidewater area, even though he was profoundly deaf. It really surprised people to learn that, as he could read lips. More than once it got him into trouble at school for talking when the teacher called for quiet. He is dearly missed.
I'm in a little place (not
even a town) in west central Florida called Lecanto (lee-can-toe). We have a
piece of land (7.5ac) and rescue horses. My husband was born near here in
Homosassa FL and works at the Nuclear power plant in Crystal River. We love it.
It's warm, the fishing is good and the boating is great. Tampa (where our 20 and
21 year olds go to USF) is a little over an hour away, as is Orlando. There is
always something to do. We also have two married daughters (31 and 29) and a son
who passed away 2 years ago at 30. Five grand kids, all Florida Crackers like their
Thank you for a job very well done,
Ruth Ann Reece Horace
Welcome aboard, Ruth Ann! I just added your name to my address book and to the Alumni and Contact Pages for your Class, and your comment to Garland's name on the In Memoriam page for the Class of 1970:
Give our best to Bill and Kathy, and of course, they're welcome to join us. Thanks!
Happy Birthday today to Joan Williams Eberwine ('57) AND Linda Robinson Gillespie ('71) of VA!
Happy Birthday this
16 - Linda May Bond Crayton ('66) of VA AND Jacque Ray Fisher ('66) of NC;
Barbara Brewer ('69) of VA;
18 - Johnny Mitchell ('57) of VA AND Kay Knight Midkiff Evans ('59) of VA AND Wade Scott ('66) of MO;
19 - Cheryl Mays Howard ('66) of VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Me ('65) of NC - 03/13/08 - "Don't forget to search for the leprechauns on Monday morning!":
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/14/08 - "BEACON - 04 OCT 63 (Part Two of Two)":
|Friday, October 4, 1963||Friday, October 4, 1963||Friday, October 4, 1963||Friday, October 4, 1963|
|Page Three - TOP||Page Three - BOTTOM||Page Four - TOP||Page Four - BOTTOM|
OH, GOODY - a new set! Thank you, Brown Eyes!
From Christine Wilson Starkman ('68) of CA - 03/14/08 - "Homework!":
I was up all night viewing versions of this lovely song! I've never heard the Irish lyrics before. Beautiful! I found this moving version, sung by a soldier who is currently stationed in Irag. Perhaps we can post some Typhoon comments?
I attended grade school in New York City, where St. Patrick's day is a national holiday. We learned all the popular songs (my favorite was "Galway Bay") and dancing our version of the Irish jig. So each year, my family is treated to at least four days of Irish Chrissie!
Speaking of genealogy, I am Dutch/French Huguenot on my father's side. My grandmother Boutellier was from Nova Scotia. Maybe we're cousins?
Erin go Bragh! and Typhoons Forever!
Thanks so much for this link, Chris! YouTube always welcomes comments, and it would be nice to see some from among the Typhoon Nation!
And I've thought for some time if we keep searching far enough back, we'll find just how closely we all seem to be related to one another. Here's a link to some of my pedigree charts (about 2/3 down the page; those particular lines would begin on Charts #6 and 7), but we'd probably need to go back a few more generations to find that relationship. If any of these names or places seem even vaguely familiar to you, let me know and I can provide that earlier information back much further:
That would be so cool!
From Christine Wilson Starkman ('68) of CA - 03/14/08 - "Check out YouTube - Shanagolden":
So nice - thanks again, Chris!
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of VA - 03/14/08:
Thanks Carol, you have been busy.
I noticed Johnny Mitchell ('57 - of VA) had a birthday. I have not heard about him in over 40 years. He was on the Apprentice School football team with me. He is of course a lot older than me.
Oh, of course! Much, much older - at least a couple of years! Johnny's not really on our mailing list, but I saw him last fall at Evelyn's (Fryer Fish, Head Cheerleader of 1958, of TX) Birthday Party for All of Us at Buckroe Beach.
For some really great vintage Johnny stories, don't miss this link. Be sure to have some tissues handy. You might just laugh so hard you'll cry:
From Butch Ragland ('63) of CO - 03/14/08:
Thanks so much, Butch! I'm glad you enjoyed these two projects as much as I did! And our thanks extend to the anonymous donor who sent all those Beacons to David! I'm regaining sections of my own personal history that I thought were forever lost in time and space - and having an enormous amount of fun in the process.
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 03/15/08 - "Tom the Baptist":
Johnny's mother looked out the window and noticed him
"playing church" with their cat. He had the cat sitting quietly and he was
preaching to it. She smiled and went about her work.
A while later she heard loud meowing and hissing and ran back to the open window to see Johnny baptizing the cat in a tub of water.
She called out, "Johnny, stop that! The cat is afraid of water!"
Johnny looked up at her and said, "He should have thought about that before he joined my church."
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancerlast week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape.
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent escalation of shortness of breath, heart and blood pressure problems plus the usual .....; update of 03/12/08: not a great deal of change; still ups and downs
6. Evelyn Casey Snead ('57) of VA - gallbladder surgery on 03/12/08
7. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever
8. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08
9. My Daughter, Adrienne Harty (Hillsboro HS, IL / American School, IL) of NC - slight brain concussion - 03/09/08 - update of 03/14/08: still taking it easy, but probably progressing as well as can be expected
10. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08
11. Heidi Hice MacKay of MI and her Family - stressing over their beloved patriarch since late January 2008; update of 03/10/08: still needing our prayers
12. Herb Hice of MI and the MacKay Family - triple bypass surgery plus carotid artery cleanup - @ 01/25/08; update of 03/10/08: still being sedated while not on the ventilator, but made it for nine hours on 03/09/08; "holding his own"
13. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA? - recovering from surgery on her ankle
14. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"
15. Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) of VA - suffered second massive heart attack - 01/31/08; update of 03/13/08: "is doing very well. She is taking some kind of cardio rehab therapy and she is feeling well enough that she has gone back to work. She's only working 1/2 days..."
16. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
17. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm
18. Catherine Slusser Hudson ('64) of VA - recent surgery on right knee
19. Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - suffered heart attack 02/13/08
20. All of Us
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958
Y'all have a good weekend - and take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Black Velvet Band
Her eyes they shone like the diamonds
You'd think she was queen of the land
And her hair hung over her shoulder
Tied up with a black velvet band.
In a neat little town they call Belfast
Apprenticed to trade I was bound
And many an hour's sweet happiness
I spent in that neat little town.
Till bad misfortune came o'er me
That caused me to stray from the land
Far away from my friends and relations
To follow the black velvet band.
Well, I was out strolling one evening
Not meaning to go very far
When I met with a pretty young damsel
Who was selling her trade in the bar.
When I watched, she took from a customer
And slipped it right into my hand
Then the Watch came and put me in prison
Bad luck to the black velvet band.
Next morning before judge and jury
For a trial I had to appear
And the judge, he said, "You young fellows...
The case against you is quite clear
And seven long years is your sentence
You're going to Van Dieman's Land
Far away from your friends and relations
To follow the black velvet band."
So come all you jolly young fellows
I'd have you take warning by me
Whenever you're out on the liquor, me lads,
Beware of the pretty colleen.
She'll fill you with whiskey and porter
Until you're not able to stand
And the very next thing that you'll know, me lads,
You're landed in Van Dieman's Land.
"Black Velvet Band" midi and lyrics courtesy of http://www.contemplator.com/tunebook/ireland.htm - 03/10/08
Celtic Heart clip art derived from Celtic Heart Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars11.html - 10/05/05
Multicolored Celtic Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.ireland-information.com/celticclipart/celticclipart.htm - 10/31/05
Animated "NEW" clip art courtesy of http://gifsnow.com/ - 03/07/06
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Fiddling Leprechaun clip art courtesy of http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/StPatricks.html - 03/17/06
Marine Corps Seal clip art
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Laughter clip art courtesy of
McCain Rose ('65) of VA - 01/24/06
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Hillsboro High School's Topper (Band Version) clip art courtesy of
American School Logo courtesy of http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/grads.asp - 09/05/06
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965