12/03/10 - NNHS Newsletter - Christmas Sonata for Brass
“The earth has grown old with its burden of
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
We've been making NNHS Christmas Newsletters for six years now, and in addition to all "the old familiar carols" and songs, from time to time I like to bring you the more unusual and downright obscure. Along with a few reruns from past years, you may jolly well expect quite a few of those this year!
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday today to Ann Lillaston Wilson ('57) AND Jimmy McDonald ('57) AND George Konstant ('65) of VA!
Happy Birthday tomorrow to The late Barbara Nell Howard Floyd ('67) (deceased 10/01/88)!
Happy Birthday this week to:
04 - William D. Dangler ('57) of VA AND Howard Williamson (Hampton HS - '63) of VA;
05 - Eugene Peters ('57) AND the late Gene Peters ('57) (deceased - 07/24/09) AND Melody Clendenin DeBerry (Warwick HS - '66) of VA;
06 - Frances Scheinman Berkman ('57);
07 - Jay Styles ('68) of VA AND Janice Pratt McGrew (Hampton HS - '67) of VA AND Tim Parsons ('73) of VA;
09 - Shirley Smith Langston ('57);
10 - John Murden ('60) of VA AND Glen Davenport ('63) of VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
THIS DAY IN WWII:
THIS DAY IN 1965:
Friday, December 3, 1965 - Actor
was born in
Friday, December 3, 1965 - George Konstant celebrated his birthday.
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of VA - 08/05/10 - "Vote for Grace (REPEATED)":
This is my daughter Laura's dog in a contest to be on the cover of a bag
of dog food.
Vote every day for Grace. Thanks.
Oh, Laura is your daughter, Norris! Well, that makes it all the more important!
Grace was named the September 2010 People's Choice! This is the last month we can vote for Grace - the last 31 days we have to make a difference.
It only takes about two seconds to cast your allotted daily vote)!!!< Doncha wanna go shopping and spot Grace's image on a bag of dog food and know that YOU played a large part in placing her there?!?
From My Friend, Judy Bundy Bowermaster (Litchfield HS, IL - '59) of IL - 12/01/10 - "This is a Christmas Tree":
YES YES YES!!!!
CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always has been, ALWAYS WILL BE! I hope and
pray your CHRISTMAS Season will be filled with warmth, cheer, lots of
love and warm hugs so wrap your arms around yourself and have your first
CHRISTMAS hug from me!
This is a Christmas Tree.
And these are Christmas Trees also.
|Thanks, Judy! Hugs and Merry Christmas to you, too!|
"In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians called it 'Christmas' and went to church; the Jews called it 'Hanukkah' and went to synagogue; the atheists went to parties and drank. People passing each other on the street would say 'Merry Christmas!' or 'Happy Hanukkah!' or (to the atheists) 'Look out for the wall!' "
~Dave Barry, "Christmas Shopping: A Survivor's Guide"
From George Helliesen ('61) of MI - 12/01/10 - " Yes, I'm a redneck, and proud of it, bet you are too":
|This is very good! Not the
type of redneck jokes we hear.
We have enjoyed the redneck
jokes for years. It's time to take a reflective look at the core beliefs
of a culture that values home, family, country and God. If I had to
stand before a dozen terrorists who threaten my life, I'd choose a half
dozen or so rednecks to back me up. Tire irons, squirrel guns and grit
-- that's what rednecks are made of. I hope I am one of those. If you
feel the same, pass this on to your redneck friends.
You might be a
It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "Heavenly
Thank you, George!
From Phil Hammond ('64) of UT - 12/01/10 - "Chewy Coconut Macaroons":
Since you are the baking expert do you have a recipe for Chewy Coconut Macaroons? I remember them from somewhere, probably Mom, but the only recipe I have is for the fluffy type with egg whites.
I'm sure there are those among us who would be amused at your description of me as the baking expert, but how about this recipe?
From Jerry ('65) and Judy Phillips ('66) Allen of VA - 12/01/10 - "Candy (also Cookies, Cakes, Pies, Breads, and More!) Recipes at a click of a button!!":
Thought you might like this one for the holidays!
YUM-YUM! Thank you so much, Sweetie-Pies!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 12/01/10 - "Thursday":
"Best Quotes Of All Time."
The Places You'll Go
Thank you, Shari!
(Warwick HS - '57) of VA - 11/19/10 - "Newport News
scenes." (#7 in a Series of 8):
Chambers of VA -
07/01/09, 02/07/10, AND 07/31/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD" AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA AND DRAMATIC WORKSHOPS STUDENTS:
Contact Dr. Chambers at email@example.com.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Friday, December 3, 2010, 10:00 AM -
You are invited to attend “A Celebration of the Life and Photography
of NMNH Photographer
in Baird Auditorium, National Museum of Natural History. This
illustrated program will be an opportunity to celebrate his career,
stories and accomplishments.
2. Wednesday, December 8, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.(firstname.lastname@example.org, 757-244-4443, ext 4)
5. Thursday, January 6, 2011 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have fiends in that year, go visit with them.6. Wednesday, February 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
7. Saturday, April 30, 2011 - The NNHS Class will have a Luncheon. Team Leaders are Mickey Marcella (email@example.com - 757-249-3800), Betty Hamby Neher (firstname.lastname@example.org - 757-898-5099), and Dr. Harry Simpson (email@example.com - 804-694-0346). - CLASS OF 1954
8. Saturday, July 9, 2011 (6:30 PM to 11:30 PM) - The Class of 1971 will hold its 40-Year Reunion at Newport News Marriott at City Center, 740 Town Center Drive, Newport News. For details, contact Richard Rawls at Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 08/22/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 10/21/10
Y'all take good care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE: http://www.nnhs65.com
==============================================Carol Buckley Harty
Christmas Sonata for Brass
"Christmas Sonata for Brass" midi (sequenced by M. J. Starke) courtesy
of http://www.classicalmidiconnection.com/cmc/midiplay/playmidi.shtml?midi/t/msbrsson - 12/02/10
Image of Christmas Brass Cover courtesy of http://bongolongland.blogspot.com/2007/07/christmas-brass.html - 11/02/10
Poinsettia Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/christ-htm/lines-christ7.htm - 12/12/09
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of
Replaced courtesy of http://www.hamptonhigh1964.com - 02/17/09
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Marine Corps Seal clip art courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI -
one of my
who served in the South Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!
Litchfield High School's Purple Panther Paw Print courtesy of http://www.litchfield.k12.il.us/ - 06/23/07
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy ofhttp://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Animated Hiding Mallard (by AF Artist - Josh Doohen) courtesy of http://www.animationfactory.com - 08/28/08
Animated Ringing Christmas Bell clip art (designed by Art Holden) courtesy of http://www.animationfactory.com- 12/08/05
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965