11/04/08 - NNHS Newsletter - Election Day
“Democracy is the only system
that persists in asking
Sydney J. Harris
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
It's that time again:
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday today to the ever gloriousMike Jeffers ('61) of VA!
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Patsy Blackard Hallett ('65) of VA AND My Grandson, Thomas Harty of OR!
Happy Birthday this week to:
06 - Marion Timberlake Gitchel ('57) AND Maria Velma Vidales Scott ('57) AND Pam Smith Arnold ('65) of VA;
Pam Larmer Traugott ('62) of
08 - Lawson (Buddy) Sparrow ('53) of VA AND Woody Hudson ('57) AND Joe Madagan ('57) of FL AND David McCoy ('67) of VA;
09 - Hilton Henderson ('57) of NV and FL;
10 - The United States Marine Corps - 1775 AND Tamsie Warren Ellis ('57) AND David Wittan ('57) AND
Angie Ray Smith ('64) of VA AND Steve Pullen ('65) of VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
CALLING ALL 1964 CLASSMATES:
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 11/03/08 - "NNHS 64/45 REUNION DATES":
Could you post this in each newsletter until Monday, 10 November?
NNHS 1964 Classmates,
At the first meeting of your 45th Reunion Committee, it was decided that October 2009 was the best month in which to schedule our 45th reunion. We initially selected the weekend of 10 and 11 October, which is a holiday weekend (Columbus Day). Our thinking was that you would prefer to travel and attend over a 3-day holiday. If a suitable venue is not available for that date, our alternate date is the following weekend, 17 and 18 October.
Thanks to the internet and e-mail, we have the opportunity to poll all of you about your date preference.
We are asking you to reply by e-mail with your preference for one of these two possible dates. If you have already replied to an e-mail which you received, then your preference has been recorded.
Please reply no later than Sunday, 9 November 2008, to: email@example.com
Once the responses are tallied, we will arrange a venue for your preferred date.
NNHS 64/45 REUNION COMMITTEE
From Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 11/03/08 - "winter concert series":
Hello to all!!
Attached is the information re: our Winter/Christmas concert series coming up in December. Please note that the Trinity concerts (2) have limited seating and if you are interested in attending one of those concerts I need to know which night and how many as soon as possible. I can place tickets at will call for you and you will be able to pay the advance ticket price. You can give me a call or email me. I feel this concert is MUCH better than last year. We are looking forward to it! I hope you will attend one of the concerts.
Hope to see you. Sarah
Visit http://www.vachoralsociaety.org :
DECEMBER 2008 - "A
Family Festival of Carols"
Saturday Dec 13 7 pm St. Andrew by the Sea Episcopal Nag's Head, NC
Sunday Dec 14 4 pm Gloria Dei Lutheran Church Hampton, Virginia
Friday Dec 19 8 pm St. Bede Catholic Church Williamsburg
Saturday Dec 20 8 pm Trinity Lutheran Church Newport News, Virginia
Sunday Dec 21 8 pm Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Catholic Church Newport News, Virginia
Monday Dec 22 8 pm Trinity Lutheran Church Newport News, Virginia
Bring a Stuffed Toy for "Toys for Joy"
Thanks, Sarah Sugah; it sounds fabulous!
From Brownie Shaffer Haracivet ('62) of VA - 11/01/08 - "1962 Anchor Needed":
Brownie here..... let's see if we can find a 1962
year book. One of my classmates has lost her copy and is willing to buy
one if we can locate one for sale. Perhaps someone out there in Typhoon
land has one for sale.
That's a real possibility, Brownie! How about it, Sweetie-Pies?
Thank you for being so thoughtful, Brownie!
From Glenn Dye ('60) of TX - 11/03/08:
GREAT IDEA! Thanks so much, Glenn!
From Wayne Stokes ('65) of VA - 11/03/08 - "HEALTHBEAT: Brain slows at 40, starts body decline - Yahoo! News":
Wal, tha' 'splains it, Luzie! Thanks, Wayne Honey!
From http://www.SelfGrowth.com - 11/03/08 - Happiness Tips - "7 Secrets for a Happy Life":
- 7 Secrets for a Happy Life
By Jonathan Lockwood Huie, Oct. 30, 2008
We all want to be happy, but something always
gets in the way. There is never enough time... or money. Somebody is always
failing to do what they are "supposed" to do... or not do. Our boss, our spouse,
our kids, our parents, our friends, government, big business, whoever... "They"
aren't doing it right. "They" failed us. We are angry, and we have a right to be
angry. But is that righteous anger making us happy?
Happiness is not something anyone else can give us... or take away from us. Happiness is what we make of our lives... or don't. Whatever our circumstances, we can create a joyful life... or a miserable life. It is up to us.
Here are my 7 Secrets for a Happy Life:
1. Have Self-Respect: If I don't love and respect myself, who will? It all starts right here with ME. If I think that I'm a pretty good person, it doesn't much matter what anyone else thinks. And the irony is that once I like myself, most everyone else will like me too. People enjoy being around people who speak well of themselves - not in an arrogant boastful way, but with honest self-appreciation.
2. Forgive Everyone for Everything: Angry and happy don't mix. Flush out the angry, and the happy has a place to put down roots. Until we forgive everyone for everything, we hold on to anger and resentment. Once we forgive, we can become happy. Forgiving is not a gift to someone else - Forgiving is our gift to ourselves - a great gift - the gift of happiness.
3. Be Grateful for All of Life: Each of us has been infinitely blessed - beginning with the gift of life. Whatever may appear to be missing or broken on any particular day, our glass is not half full, it is 99.9% full. More practically, when we feel ungrateful, we become unhappy. When we choose to feel and express our gratitude, the act of feeling and speaking our thanks creates a happiness within us. The more we express our gratitude, the more we have for which to be grateful. Today and every day, take time to celebrate life - whether an hour's meditation in a quiet natural space, or a brief moment's conscious pause to breathe deeply and celebrate gratitude for life.
4. Choose Happiness: Everything in life is a choice. There is never anything we ever "need" to do. Every action and thought is a choice and has consequences - pleasant or unpleasant. Whether you go to work today, change jobs, smile at the bank teller, order fried fish, yell at your kids, complain about life, hold a daily celebration of gratitude for life - they are all choices. Happiness is a choice. Stay alert and make conscious choices for happiness.
5. Begin at the End: You can never reach your destination if you don't have a destination. Decide what accomplishments you want recorded on your tombstone. Take a whole quiet day to consider your life. Be very clear that your happiness does NOT depend on reaching your goal. In fact, it's the reverse. Your happiness depends on accepting whatever life throws at you while you walk the path toward your goal. What is important for your happiness is having a goal, and working toward it.
6. Start Today: Whatever you want in life, start today. Not tomorrow - today. Let it be a small beginning - a tiny beginning. Your happiness depends on starting today - every day.
7. Life is NOT "Supposed to be Fair": Know that there is no single way that life is "supposed" to be. Demanding that life meet our expectations is a sure fire recipe for a miserable existence. Life is a game with no rules. Life just happens to us regardless of our best intentions. Our only path to happiness lies in being open to receiving whatever life throws at us - with Gratitude. Have NO Expectations of life.
Jonathan Lockwood Huie has been dubbed "The
Philosopher of Happiness" by those closest to him, in recognition of his
on-going commitment to seeing Joy in all of life. Jonathan's intention is to
share his insights for Joyful Living with the widest possible audience.
Jonathan is an author of self-awareness books and free inspirational email publications. Visit www.DanceLightly.com to sign up for Jonathan's daily happy living email.
** Today is your day to dance lightly with life. It really is. - jonathan lockwood huie **
© Copyright by SelfGrowth.com, Self Improvement Online, Inc.
From Ruth Ann Reece Horace ('67) of FL - 10/31/08 - "++++ MAXINE +++++" (#2 in a Series of 15):
..... More from the
gal everyone loves and admires.....
Whatever pops into her mind, Maxine says. Ordinarily, folks might be offended. But instead, millions of Americans have identified with the crabby, irreverent Maxine, the popular Hallmark character that lambastes everything from holidays to aging, and does not hesitate to tell it like it is - or as she sees it.....
1. Thursday, November 6, 2007, 11:00 AM - Class of 1955 Lunch Bunch - Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News, VA - OPEN TO ALL WITH FRIENDS IN CLASS OF 1955
2. April 23, 24, & 25, 2009 - Class of 1954 will hold their 55th-Year Reunion. For details contact Dr. Harry Simpson at 804-694-0346 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org - CLASS OF 1954
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 10/29/08
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 11/04/08
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Happy Days Are Here Again
- Music and Lyrics by J. Yellen and M. Ager
So long sad times
Go long bad times
We are rid of you at last
Howdy gay times
Cloudy gray times
You are now a thing of the past
Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again
Altogether shout it now
There's no one
Who can doubt it now
So let's tell the world about it now
Happy days are here again
Your cares and troubles are gone
There'll be no more from now on
From now on ...
Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So, Let's sing a song of cheer again
Are here again!
Are Here Again" midi and lyrics courtesy of
at the brilliant suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 11/05/05
and extracted with the kind assistance of my # 5 son, Nathaniel Harty (Hillsboro HS - '97) of IL - 11/07/05
Thanks, Dave and Nathaniel!
Election Day clip art courtesy of http://www.calendar-updates.com/Holidays/US/election.htm - 11/07/05
Election Day Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/patriotic.htm - 11/07/05
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!
Army Seal clip art also courtesy of Al
Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Thanks again, Al!
Animated USMC Flag clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Animated "NEW" clip art courtesy of http://gifsnow.com/ - 03/07/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965