09/27/18 - NNHS Newsletter -
“Love is a strange master, and human nature is still stranger.”
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Do you remember this one from 1963?
BONUS - Hello Stranger - Barbara Lewis
|"Hello Stranger" was a 1963 hit single by
Barbara Lewis which spent two weeks at number one on the R&B singles
Billboard crossing over to #3 Pop.
"Hello Stranger" was written by Barbara Lewis herself who was originally inspired to write a song with that title while working gigs in Detroit with her musician father: “I would make the circuit with my dad and people would yell out: ‘Hey stranger, hello stranger, it’s been a long time’". The song is notable because its title comprises the first two words of the lyrics but is never at any point repeated throughout the rest of the song.
Lewis recorded "Hello Stranger" at
Chess Studios in
in January 1963. The track's producer Ollie McLaughlin recruited
Dells to provide the background vocals. The arrangement by Riley
Hampton - then working with
Etta James - featured a signature organ riff provided by keyboardist
John Young. The track was completed after thirteen takes. Lewis would
recall that on hearing the playback of the finished track, Dells member
Chuck Barksdale "kept jumping up and down and saying, ‘It’s a hit, it’s
a hit.’...I didn’t really know. It was all new to me...”
From Bill Campbell ('54) of VA - 09/25/18, 12:48 PM - " Charlie Hall":
I want to give you the link to the obituary
of one of my dear NNHS 1954 classmates, Charlie Hall.
Oh, Bill, I'm so sorry to learn this! You have my deepest condolences on the loss of your old friend.
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Birthday today to
Tommy Scott ('61)
Happy Birthday this week to: MaeLea Somervold Tweedie ('62) of VA AND Jerry Baker Cobb ('66) of VA;
Many Happy Returns, One and All! http://www.nnhs65.com/Happy-Birthday.html
THIS DAY IN WWII:
THIS DAY IN 1968:
From Joan Lauterbach Krause ('60) of VA - 09/26/17:
From the Head Flagtwirler of 1965, Janice McCain Rose of Northern VA - 09/24/18 - "Laws":
These are fun and for the most part, TRUE.
1. Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.
2. Law of Gravity - Any tool, nut, bolt, screw, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible place in the universe.
3. Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.
4. Law of Random Numbers - If you dial a wrong number, you never get a busy signal; someone always answers.
5. Variation Law - If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now.
6. Law of the Bath - When the body is fully immersed in water, the telephone will ring.
7. Law of Close Encounters - The probability of meeting someone you know INCREASES dramatically when you are with someone you don't want to be seen with.
8. Law of the Result - When you try to prove to someone that a machine won't work, IT WILL!!!
9. Law of Biomechanics - The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.
10. Law of the Theatre & Football Stadium - At any event, the people whose seats are farthest from the aisle, always arrive last. They are the ones who will leave their seats several times to go for food, beer, or the toilet and who leave early before the end of the performance or the game is over. The folks in the aisle seats come early, never move once, have long gangly legs or big bellies and stay to the bitter end of the performance. The aisle people also are very surly folk.
11. The Coffee Law - As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
12. Murphy's Law of Lockers - If there are only 2 people in a locker room, they will have adjacent lockers.
13. Law of Physical Surfaces - The chances of an open-faced jam sandwich landing face down on a floor are directly correlated to the newness and cost of the carpet or rug
14. Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
15. Law of Physical Appearance - If the clothes fit, they're ugly.
16. The 50-50-90 Law - Whenever there's a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability that you'll get it wrong.
17. Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it OR the store will stop selling it!
18. Doctors' Law - If you don't feel well, make an appointment to go to the doctor; by the time you get there, you'll feel better. But don't make an appointment and you'll stay sick.
BONUS STRANGE KNIT AND CROCHET PATTERNS:
BONUS STRANGE RECIPE:
From www.ajokeaday.com - 09/25/17:
A man was going bald and told his friends he
was going to get a rabbit tattooed on his head as it was a lot cheaper
than an implant or a toupée.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 12, 13, and 14, 2018 - The NNHS Class of 1958 will hold its 60-Year Reunion as follows:
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 03/13/11
==============================================NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE: http://www.nnhs65.com