09/26/14 - NNHS Newsletter - Smile
“If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it.”
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
I tend to forget that Charlie Chaplin wrote the melody for this great classic.
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu-rLA4POkI - Smile - Michael Jackson and Charlie Chaplin
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vubC4mnGXCE&NR=1 - Smile - Nat King Cole
BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I85ApzR43jU - Smile - Nat King Cole
|"Smile" is a song based on an instrumental theme used in the soundtrack for the 1936 Charlie Chaplin movie Modern Times. Chaplin composed the music, while John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons added the lyrics and title in 1954. In the lyrics, based on lines and themes from the film, the singer is telling the listener to cheer up and that there is always a bright tomorrow, just as long as they smile. "Smile" has become a popular standard since its original use in Chaplin's film...|
From http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelongbeauty/tp/smiling.htm - Top 10 Reasons to Smile:
Top 10 Reasons to Smile
By Mark Stibich, Ph.D., About.com Guide
Updated February 04, 2010
Smiling is a great way to make yourself stand out while helping your body to function better. Smile to improve your health, your stress level, and your attractiveness. Smiling is just one fun way to live longer read about the others and try as many as you can.
1. Smiling Makes Us Attractive
We are drawn to people who smile. There is an attraction factor. We want to know a smiling person and figure out what is so good. Frowns, scowls and grimaces all push people away -- but a smile draws them in (avoid these smile aging habits to keep your smile looking great).
2. Smiling Changes Our MoodNext time you are feeling down, try putting on a smile. There's a good chance you mood will change for the better. Smiling can trick the body into helping you change your mood.
3. Smiling Is ContagiousWhen someone is smiling they lighten up the room, change the moods of others, and make things happier. A smiling person brings happiness with them. Smile lots and you will draw people to you.
4. Smiling Relieves StressStress can really show up in our faces. Smiling helps to prevent us from looking tired, worn down, and overwhelmed. When you are stressed, take time to put on a smile. The stress should be reduced and you'll be better able to take action.
5. Smiling Boosts Your Immune SystemSmiling helps the immune system to work better. When you smile, immune function improves possibly because you are more relaxed. Prevent the flu and colds by smiling.
6. Smiling Lowers Your Blood PressureWhen you smile, there is a measurable reduction in your blood pressure. Give it a try if you have a blood pressure monitor at home. Sit for a few minutes, take a reading. Then smile for a minute and take another reading while still smiling. Do you notice a difference?
7. Smiling Releases Endorphins, Natural Pain Killers and SerotoninStudies have shown that smiling releases endorphins, natural pain killers, and serotonin. Together these three make us feel good. Smiling is a natural drug.
8. Smiling Lifts the Face and Makes You Look YoungerThe muscles we use to smile lift the face, making a person appear younger. Don't go for a face lift, just try smiling your way through the day -- you'll look younger and feel better.
9. Smiling Makes You Seem SuccessfulSmiling people appear more confident, are more likely to be promoted, and more likely to be approached. Put on a smile at meetings and appointments and people will react to you differently.
10. Smiling Helps You Stay PositiveTry this test: Smile. Now try to think of something negative without losing the smile. It's hard. When we smile our body is sending the rest of us a message that "Life is Good!" Stay away from depression, stress and worry by smiling.
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday today to
Happy Birthday this week to:
|28 - Richard Dawes (NNHS / HHS - '62) of VA AND My Granddaughter, Kaiya Harty of IL;|
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
100 YEARS AGO TODAY:
September 26, 1914 - The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) was established by the Federal Trade Commission Act.
THIS DAY IN WWII:
September 26, 1942 - The Holocaust: August Frank, a higher official of the SS concentration camp administration department, issued a memorandum containing a great deal of operational detail in how Jews should be "evacuated".
September 26, 1944 -
Operation Market Garden failed when thousands of British and Polish
troops were killed in an attempt to seize bridges in the Dutch town of
THISDAY IN 1964:
Saturday, September 26, 1964 - Singer and dancer Nicki French was born in Carlisle, Cumbria, England.
From Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 09/24/14:
|SO TRUE! Thank you, Sarah Sugah!|
From Catherine Slusser Hudson ('64) of VA -09/24/14 - "Getting Out of Bed":
Ha ha ha oh so true
OHHH! Thank you so much, Bobby! These are precious - definitely something I will make to give as gifts!
From My Friend, Laura, of NC - 09/23/14 - "Pray More, Worry Less":
"And now, my beloved
brethren, I perceive that ye ponder still in your hearts; and it grieveth me
that I must speak concerning this thing. For if ye would hearken unto the
Spirit which teacheth a man to pray, ye would know that ye must pray; for
the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must
"But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul."
Satan wants so badly to cut off your communication with your Father in heaven. So, pray always! Thank Him for your blessings, ask Him questions, tell Him about your day! He wants to hear from you and help you with everything you do!
AMEN! Thank you, Laura!
From Susie Overton Jones ('63) of VA - 09/25/14 - "Wendy's Chili":
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain off the fat. Put the beef and the remaining ingredients in a 6-quart pot. Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
MMMM! Thanks, Susie!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 09/08/14 - "Church Pics (#14 in a Series of 17)":
IN GOD WE TRUST--If GOD is your co-pilot, change seats!
GIGGLES! Thank you, Joyce!
From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of NC - 09/12/14 - "Pets that don't know how furniture works! (#10 in a series of 21)":
John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - 09/18/14 - "So God Made a Dog
(#2 in a series of 23)":
BONUS THANKSGIVING CROCHET PATTERN (Sorry; not theme-related):
http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/turkey-talk-throw - Michelle Maks' Turkey Talk Throw - "This crocheted throw is perfect for napping after having Thanksgiving dinner! You’ll love having this throw as part of your fall decorating style."
|BONUS RECIPES (Sorry; not theme-related):|
http://cookingclassy.blogspot.com/2012/08/cheesy-bacon-ranch-potato-soup.html -Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potato Soup - "Traditional rich and creamy potato soup just got a makeover with this awesome recipe for Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potato Soup. This satisfying soup recipe has everything you love about "loaded" baked potatoes, but in the form of a warm and comforting soup. When the weather gets cool, there's nothing quite like curling up with a big bowl of hearty potato soup, so be sure to save this dish to your list of easy soup recipes. You're going to love it!"
http://www.recipelion.com/Crock-Pot-Entrees/Lazy-Mans-Pot-Roast/ml/1 - Lazy Man's Pot Roast - "For a hearty meal that doesn't require a ton of time in the kitchen, turn to this easy recipe for Lazy Man's Pot Roast. With the help of your slow cooker, you can make a flavorful meal for the whole family and you'll barely have to lift a finger. Like all of our favorite easy slow cooker recipes, this pot roast recipe allows you to go about your day while your dinner basically cooks itself. How convenient!"
From www.ajokeaday.com - 09/25/14:
|John received a
free ticket to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately. John's seat was in the
last row in the corner of the stadium. He was closer to the Goodyear
Blimp than the stadium. He noticed an empty seat 10 rows up from the
He decided to make his way to the empty seat. As he sat down he asked the man next to him if anyone was sitting there. The man told him no, it was empty.
John was very excited to have a seat like this at a Super Bowl and asked why in the world no one is using it.
The man replied that it was his wife's seat but she passed away. He said this was the first Super Bowl that they had not attended together since they were married in 1968.
John said that it
was really sad and asked if he couldn't have found someone, a relative
or a close friend, to take the seat.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
Charlie Chaplin (16
Apr 1889 – 25 Dec 1977), 1936
Nat King Cole
Mar 1917 – 15 Feb 1965), 1954
Music by Charlie Chaplin (16 Apr 1889 – 25 Dec 1977), 1936
Nat King Cole
Mar 1917 – 15 Feb 1965), 1954
"Smile" lyrics courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_%28Charlie_Chaplin_song%29 - 09/26/10
Smiley Face clip art courtesy of http://www.shecards.net/greetings/resource/skin/Smilies/top.gif - 10/12/05
Animated Smiley Faces clip art
used to make Large Divider Lines courtesy
Smiley Face Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars5.html - 10/12/05
Animated Smiley Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars3.html - 03/30/05
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Animated Fat Frog courtesy of
Stokes ('65) of VA - 07/16/08
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Animated "Happy Little Rabbits We Are" clip art courtesy of http://users.bigpond.net.au/jellery/index.htm - 04/25/09
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06