09/25/18 - NNHS Newsletter - Smile
“And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no
more death, neither sorrow,
- Revelation 21:4 (KJV)
“If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it.”
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
I trust you'll find plenty to smile about in today's Newsletter.
BONUS #1 - Smile - Nat King Cole
BONUS #2 - Smile - Nat King Cole
|"Smile" is a song based on an instrumental theme used in the soundtrack for the 1936 Charlie Chaplin movie Modern Times. Chaplin composed the music, while John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons added the lyrics and title in 1954. In the lyrics, based on lines and themes from the film, the singer is telling the listener to cheer up and that there is always a bright tomorrow, just as long as they smile. "Smile" has become a popular standard since its original use in Chaplin's film...|
From http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelongbeauty/tp/smiling.htm - Top 10 Reasons to Smile:
Top 10 Reasons to Smile
By Mark Stibich, Ph.D., About.com Guide
Updated February 04, 2010
Smiling is a great way to make yourself stand out while helping your body to function better. Smile to improve your health, your stress level, and your attractiveness. Smiling is just one fun way to live longer read about the others and try as many as you can.
1. Smiling Makes Us Attractive
We are drawn to people who smile. There is an attraction factor. We want to know a smiling person and figure out what is so good. Frowns, scowls and grimaces all push people away -- but a smile draws them in (avoid these smile aging habits to keep your smile looking great).
2. Smiling Changes Our MoodNext time you are feeling down, try putting on a smile. There's a good chance you mood will change for the better. Smiling can trick the body into helping you change your mood.
3. Smiling Is ContagiousWhen someone is smiling they lighten up the room, change the moods of others, and make things happier. A smiling person brings happiness with them. Smile lots and you will draw people to you.
4. Smiling Relieves StressStress can really show up in our faces. Smiling helps to prevent us from looking tired, worn down, and overwhelmed. When you are stressed, take time to put on a smile. The stress should be reduced and you'll be better able to take action.
5. Smiling Boosts Your Immune SystemSmiling helps the immune system to work better. When you smile, immune function improves possibly because you are more relaxed. Prevent the flu and colds by smiling.
6. Smiling Lowers Your Blood PressureWhen you smile, there is a measurable reduction in your blood pressure. Give it a try if you have a blood pressure monitor at home. Sit for a few minutes, take a reading. Then smile for a minute and take another reading while still smiling. Do you notice a difference?
7. Smiling Releases Endorphins, Natural Pain Killers and SerotoninStudies have shown that smiling releases endorphins, natural pain killers, and serotonin. Together these three make us feel good. Smiling is a natural drug.
8. Smiling Lifts the Face and Makes You Look YoungerThe muscles we use to smile lift the face, making a person appear younger. Don't go for a face lift, just try smiling your way through the day -- you'll look younger and feel better.
9. Smiling Makes You Seem SuccessfulSmiling people appear more confident, are more likely to be promoted, and more likely to be approached. Put on a smile at meetings and appointments and people will react to you differently.
10. Smiling Helps You Stay PositiveTry this test: Smile. Now try to think of something negative without losing the smile. It's hard. When we smile our body is sending the rest of us a message that "Life is Good!" Stay away from depression, stress and worry by smiling.
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Birthday today to
Jimmy Stroup ('57)
AND James Comer ('57) AND
Don Wilson (John Marshall HS -
'64) of VA AND
Jerry Allen ('65) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
150 YEARS AGO TODAY:
|September 25, 1868 - The Imperial Russian steam frigate Alexander Nevsky was shipwrecked off Jutland while carrying Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich of Russia.|
THIS DAY IN WWII:
September 25, 1942 -
British bombers attempted to destroy the local headquarters of the German
Gestapo in Norway. The plan failed.
September 25, 1942 -Swiss Police Instruction dictated that "Under current practice ... refugees on the grounds of race alone are not political refugees", effectively denying entry to Jews trying to flee occupied Europe during the Holocaust.
September 25, 1944 -Surviving elements of the British 1st Airborne Division withdrew from Arnhem in the Netherlands, thus ending the Battle of Arnhem and Operation Market Garden.
THIS DAY IN 1968:
25, 1968 -
Economist and academic John
was born John August List in
Tuesday, September 25, 1968 - Footballer and coach John Worsfold was born John Richard Worsfold in Subiaco, Western Australia, Australia.
|“There are few things
in life that bring as much joy as the joy that comes from assisting
another improve his or her life.”
From Joan Lauterbach Krause ('60) of VA - 09/25/17:
|Thank you, Joan!|
From My Friend, April, of NC - 09/24/18:
|ABSOLUTELY! Thank you, April!|
From Domi O'Brien ('64) of NH - 09/24/18:
“It's okay to be absurd, ridiculous, and downright irrational at times;
silliness is sweet syrup that helps us swallow the bitter pills of life.”|
-Richelle E. Goodrich
(b. 16 Sept 19??)
|BONUS CROCHET PATTERN (Sorry; not theme-related):|
|Michele Wilcox's Lions and Tigers and Bears Baby Blanket - "Oh my! This free blanket pattern is over the top with cuteness and fun! Crochet it for the next little babe to come into the world."|
|BONUS RECIPES (Sorry; not theme-related):|
Old Fashioned Salisbury Steak - "Served with mashed potatoes and gravy, there's nothing that says comfort food and home cooking like a delicious Salisbury steak recipe. Coming from Tina at Mommy's Kitchen, Old Fashioned Salisbury Steak is just like the kind Ma used to make. The meat is drenched in a French onion soup/brown gravy mixture, which is delicious. Gather the family around the table and enjoy a tasty, home-cooked meal this week."
From www.ajokeaday.com - 09/24/18:
|I was heading up to my parents' house driving
like 90 mph when a lady cop pulled me over, came up to my car and she's
"Young man, speeding? I've been waiting for you all day."
I looked up to her and said, "I'm so sorry I'm late officer, I got here as fast as I could..."
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Every Tuesday, 7:30 AM - Male grads meet at Angelo's
Restaurant on J. Clyde Morris Boulevard for
breakfast and camaraderie.|
2. Friday and Saturday, September 28 and 29, 2018 - The NNHS Class of 1968 will hold its 50-Year Reunion as follows:
FRIDAY: 6:30 to 9:30 PM at Cove Tavern, Newport News City Center, 711 Lakefront Commons, Newport News, VA. All food and beverages will be paid by each participant. The attire will be casual, and is OPEN to all NNHS graduates.
SATURDAY MORNING: 10:45 AM - Gather for 11:00 AM Tour of our old school. You MUST have valid ID!
SATURDAY NIGHT: Mulberry Inn on Warwick Boulevard next to Fort Eustis. Visit http://nnhs68.myevent.com, and contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 12, 13, and 14, 2018 - The NNHS Class of 1958 will hold its 60-Year Reunion as follows:
FRIDAY: 7:00 PM - ? - Welcoming Party at Holiday Inn's Burger Theory Indoor/Outdoor Cafe. Snacks will be provided, and there will be a cash bar.
SATURDAY: 10:00 AM - A private coach will take us to the downtown are of NN where we can see our old school and the different businesses we remember. Lunch is open.
SUNDAY MORNING: Farewell Brunch. Contact Gail Gaskins Roberson at email@example.com.
4. Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.