- NNHS Newsletter
Mickey Rooney's 90th Birthday
“You always pass failure on your way to success.”
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
It's been a while since we've observed a celebrity birthday. Without even touching on his Newport News connection [he was married to former NNHS student Ava Gardner (24 Dec 1922 - 25 Jan 1990) from 10 Jan 1942 to 21 May 1943], how could we overlook the man Laurence Olivier (22 May 1907 – 11 July 1989) once described as, "the greatest living American actor"?
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvn9R02nICw - Mickey Rooney as Mickey McGuire - Silent Film from Late 1920's
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm74WPLxALk - Mickey Rooney as Andy Hardy Jitterbugging
BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb6_kUMDHjY- Mickey Rooney on What's My Line
BONUS #4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnkQLvrfVFo - Mickey Rooney on the Judy Garland Show - You're So Right for Me
BONUS #5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq2SDyI7Y3U - Mickey Rooney on "Hey, Mulligan"
BONUS #6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2OLeiSzVlg - Mickey Rooney on marrying Ava Gardner, love and addiction
BONUS #7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7Z8nocH84 - Movie Legends - Tribute to Mickey Rooney
From Richard Rawls ('71) of VA - 09/22/10 - "Class of '71 40-Year Class Reunion Update":
Your NNHS 40-Year Class Reunion Committee has been working hard on your behalf to plan and coordinate a Reunion to remember. The Reunion for the Class of ’71 will be held on Saturday, July 9, 2011 from 6:30pm – 11:30pm at the Newport News Marriott at City Center located at 740 Town Center Drive in Newport News.
Your committee has signed the required contracts to reserve a banquet room at the Marriott and we are excited about the current plans for that evening. In making the plans for this Reunion, we have had to pay the hotel a deposit to make certain that the banquet room and other plans are held for us. It is now time for those planning to attend to notify us of their intent and to submit a $50.00 deposit. As you know, planning an event of this nature requires funding and the source of this funding is from the people that will attend. We have made the first deposit thanks to the generosity of your committee members, but need for you to lock in your reservation and help financially by sending your $50.00 deposit by November 1st to our Treasurer, Virginia W. Pearce at 302 Gregory Drive, Yorktown, VA 23696. If you are interested in a room at the hotel for our reunion, the hotel has offered a special rate of $119.00 per night for those attending the reunion. To obtain this rate, please let us know so that we can establish the account with the hotel. A minimum of 10 rooms need to be reserved to get the special rate.
To make this reunion a success, we need your support. Please plan to attend and pass the word to other classmates with whom you are in contact.
Richard Rawls (Richard@Rawls.com)
From Bill Gross ('49) of VA - 09/08/10 - "NNHS Classes of 1948":
|Newport News High School
classes of February and June 1948 are planning their 62nd reunion on
Sat., Oct. 2nd and Sun., Oct. 3rd at Point Plaza Suites at City Center
on J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, NN. There will be a barbeque and dinner
on Saturday and a brunch on Sunday.
For details: Bill Gross, 757-595-3203.
From Dave Arnold ('65) of VA - 08/06/10 - "Update on locations - Class of 1965's 45-Year Reunion - Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES!":
Please post this updated announcement when you have a moment.
Friday evening we’ll meet at 7:00 PM at the home of Lynn Walker Brothers ’65 and her husband Barry (York HS - '65). They have graciously extended an offer to open their home for the event. Light hors d’oeuvres will be served, and we would request a $5.00 donation to assist in covering the expenses for that evening if you attend. The change in location was decided when members of the reunion committee thought the original location might not be as suitable for conversation as originally planned. The Brothers residence is located at 304 Dogwood Drive, Newport News. The telephone number is 757-595-4116. We’ll post a map providing directions.
http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65.html - significantly updated 08/07/10 and 09/02/10!
Thank you, Dave!
Now that everyone knows that Eleanor (Buckley Nowitzky - '59 - of NC) and Cheryl (White Wilson - John Marshall HS - '64 - of VA) and I ('65 - of IL) will be there, I'm sure your reservations will increase dramatically!
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 09/20/10 - "NNHS 64/64 Cruise Announcement":
http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964.html - Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk, VA - updated 07/30/10 and 09/21/10!
- 22 slots left! - updated 09/21/10!
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy 19th Birthday today to My Oldest Grandson, Andrew Harty (Collinsville HS, IL - '10) of IL!
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Mary Anne Mays Davis ('58) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
25 - Jimmy Stroup ('57) AND James Comer ('57) AND Don Wilson (John Marshall HS - '64) of VA AND Jerry Allen ('65) of VA;
26 - The late Tommy Scott ('61) - 1942 (deceased 01/05/10);
27 - Judy McCall Nesbitt ('65) of NC;
28 - Richard Dawes (NNHS / HHS - '62) of VA AND My Granddaughter, Kaiya Harty of IL!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
TODAY IN WWII:
|September 23, 1938 - The mobilization of the
Czechoslovak army in response to the
TODAY IN 1965:
|Thursday, September 23, 1965 - Nothing happened - no notable births, no deaths, just nuffin'.|
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of
08/05/10 - "Vote for Grace (REPEATED)":
This is my daughter Laura's dog in a contest to be on the cover of a bag
of dog food.
Vote every day for Grace. Thanks.
Oh, Laura is your daughter, Norris! Well, that makes it all the more important! When I tried to vote for Grace again today, I noticed the site was trying to pull a switcheroo on me. It tried to persuade me to vote for the wrong Grace! OH, NO!
Grace is #1 in pet of the month: http://www.adogslife.net/photo_gallery_contests.php?t=1
and #3 in pet of the year: http://www.adogslife.net/photo_gallery_contests.php?t=2
WOWZERONI!!! That's fabulous, Norris!
Vote early, and vote often - or at least cast your allotted daily vote!
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of VA - 09/22/10 - "how girls understand":
COMMUNICATION IS VERY IMPORTANT. THIS IS THE REAL TRUTH GRAPHICALLY DISPLAYED.
Communication! Communication! Why can't men communicate with women?
A man is driving his car on a road..
A woman is driving her car
on the same road, but in the opposite direction..
Immediately the woman responds - MONKEY !!!
Both continue their separate ways, the woman being very satisfied with her quick and smart reaction. And just as she reaches the first curve on the road..
"WOMAN NEVER REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT MEN ARE TRYING TO SAY TO THEM."
From www.selfgrowth.com - 09/22/10 - "An Article on the Law of Attraction":
|Energy Is Everything
- By Carrie Garber
In this journey we call life, awareness of our vibration is vital.
And more often than not, we have created a habit of moving through our days too quickly, too busy, too distracted. We can become obsessed with taking action. With a hyper focus on the "doing" part of designing our dream lives, we can overlook the "being." To make it even more intense, most of us have had plenty of conditioning to reinforce this way of operating.
As a result, we can end up being outrageously unaware of the energy we are radiating. And this phenomenon deserves our undivided attention.
Not only does this form of "sleepwalking" squelch our sense of joy and aliveness, but it seriously interferes with our natural capacity to manifest the life of our dreams. Why? I believe the following passage from the book Ask and It Is Given, by Esther and Jerry Hicks, goes right to the heart of the matter.
"The reason you have not already gotten what you desire is because you are holding yourself in a vibrational holding pattern that does not match the vibration of your desire.
That is the only reason...ever!"
I don't know about you, but the degree of certainty conveyed in this message certainly gets my attention!
Now, shall we look at an example?
Let's say that you are taking consistent, focused action steps to grow your dream business. You have a clear plan and set bold intentions. But at the same time, you don't really believe it is possible for you to create a thriving business. You can't imagine being paid well for honoring your passions, and you are continually talking about what has not yet materialized in your vision. Furthermore, you are plagued with fear and worries and have a tendency to ponder the worst of the what-if scenarios.
Do you see the disconnect? I can't say it enough. Your energy matters.
So, if you are feeling less than clear about your energy and the factors that contribute to your vibration, I encourage you to sit with the following questions to support a deepening of your clarity. And I mean truly sit with them. Take your time. And relish the awareness that is revealed.
1. How do you FEEL? Where are you spending the majority of your time, emotionally speaking? Are you living in the lands of joy, freedom, love, appreciation, passion and trust? Or do you only experience brief visits there? How about the lands of frustration, disappointment, blame, anger or guilt? As you explore this arena, the important piece to understand is that your feelings serve as an indicator of how much you are allowing your connection to Source, or not. By paying close attention to your feelings, you can quickly see if you are in alignment and enjoying a high vibration or if you are in resistance and embodying a lower vibration.
2. What STORIES are you telling? Are they expansive or limiting? Rooted in fear or truth? What is the picture you are painting with your words? If you are not yet convinced that your story makes such a difference, please be willing to experiment. Try on different ones and see how the telling affects your energy, especially when you get into the retelling that most of us are famous for doing.
3. How would you describe your DOMINANT PERSPECTIVE? As you travel through your days, you get to decide how you will respond to the circumstances and events of your life. This marvelous freedom and power is always available to you, even when at first glance it feels impossible to find a new perspective. So, when you evaluate the essence of your dominant perspective, what do you see? For example, do you see opportunities or disasters? Are you optimistic or skeptical? This is the time to fully recognize that the choices you make have an immeasurable impact on your vibration.
4. What is your experience of EASE and FLOW? I want to keep this one extremely simple and straightforward. How relaxed and trusting are you?
5. What EXPECTATIONS and BELIEFS are you holding? Are they big or small? Indicating doubt or faith? This is about truly being a vibrational match with your desire. I am asking you to take a fiercely honest assessment of where you are with stepping into your vision as if it is already here. As Bob Proctor shared in You Were Born Rich, "Desire without expectation is nothing more than wishful thinking.
After spending some time with the above, what if you find that your vibration could use some TLC? No worries. Welcome to the club! Tending to our vibration is absolutely a daily practice.
In service of helping you enjoy a higher vibration with even more ease and consistency, I encourage you to do whatever it takes to stay intimately connected to the following TRUTHS.
~ External circumstances do not determine your emotional state and energy, you do. In each and every moment, it is a choice. We like to convince ourselves that it must be way more convoluted than that. We can fall into the disempowering practice of saying things like "When ____happens, I will be happy." Or "If ____would ____, I could relax." I lovingly challenge you to give this up, now and forever. Let it be simple. As Greg Anderson said, "Only one thing has to change for us to know happiness in our lives: Where we focus our attention."
~ Everything you want is already here energetically. And in addition to this exhilarating news, your life is also meant to be filled with joy, light, ease and flow. Not struggle. Not hardship. Not heaviness. Do you really get how thrilling this is? Personally, I love to be reminded that our primary job is to allow and receive.
~ The present moment is divinely perfect. Being eager and excited to stretch into your vision "over there" does not mean that you are meant to miss the NOW. You are right where you need to be, always. As you joyfully anticipate what is coming, appreciate your unfolding as the masterpiece that it is, knowing that each part plays a magical role in your process. From this place, you can genuinely experience the joy of the journey. And guess what? There is a sweet bonus. Once you are grounded in the joy and gratitude of where you are right now, you are then open energetically to receive the bigger vision too.
As a final thought, I would like to share the following powerful excerpt from an Abraham-Hicks workshop.
"Your action has nothing to do with your abundance. Your abundance is a response to your vibration. Of course, your belief is part of your vibration. So if you believe that action is part of what brings your abundance, then you've got to unravel that." - Abraham
Care to join me in some delightful unraveling?
From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of IL - 09/19/10 - "ponder";
GIGGLES! Thanks, Dools!
From My Friend, Judy Bundy Bowermaster (Litchfield HS, IL - '59) of IL - 09/14/10 - "Pink Heart" (#7 in a Series of 12):
Love the babies! Thanks! Give this heart to everyone you DON'T want to lose in 2010 including me.
"Be kinder than necessary because everyone
One thing I can give and still keep...is my word.
Friends are like balloons; once you let them go, you might not get them back. Sometimes we get so busy with our own lives and problems that we may not even notice that we've let them fly away. Sometimes we are so caught up in who's right and who's wrong that we forget what's right and wrong. Sometimes we just don't realize what real friendship means until it is too late. I don't want to let that happen so I'm gonna tie you to my heart so I never lose you. Send it to some balloons that you think have flown away forever. You may be surprised to see it return. Send this heart to everybody you like.
Send this heart to everybody that has touched your life in a positive way. Thank you for being in my life!!!
Thanks so much, Judy!
From Jane Chambers of VA - 07/01/09, 02/07/10, AND 07/31/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD" AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA AND DRAMATIC WORKSHOPS STUDENTS:
Contact Dr. Chambers at email@example.com.
|DATES TO REMEMBER:|
Saturday, October 2, 2010 - Evelyn's Birthday Party for Everyone - Canepa Cottage, Buckroe Beach - 2:00 PM. For details, contact Evelyn
Fryer Fish ('58) of TX at
firstname.lastname@example.org - SEE:
http://nnhs65.com/10-02-10-EVELYNS-PARTY.html - OPEN TO EVERYBODY!
2. The NNHS
Classes of February and June 1948 will hold their 62-Year Reunion at
Point Plaza Suites at City Center on J. Clyde Morris Boulevard in
Newport News, VA: a barbeque and dinner on Saturday and a brunch on
For details, contact Bill Gross at
email@example.com or 757-595-3203.
Thursday, October 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch
gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak
House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News
at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if
you have fiends in that year, go visit with them. 4.
Saturday, October 9, 2010 - "TYPHOON TAILGATE - STOKES' REVENGE 2" -
from 10:00 AM and onwards at CNU Parking Lot N - SPONSORED BY THE CLASS
OF 1966 AND THE SPD; OPEN TO ALL -
Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their
65th Birthdays at a Party at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview at Yorktown from 5:00 PM to 10:PM. For details, contact Susie
Overton Jones at
firstname.lastname@example.org - CLASS OF 1963 6.
Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon
on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at
the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM.
Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food
and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for
Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965
will hold its 45-Year Reunion. For details, contact Dave Arnold at
email@example.com - SEE:
http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65-ATTENDING.html - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES,
HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965 8.
Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk - The NNHS Class
of 1964 will hold an evening cruise on the Spirit of Norfolk to
celebrate their 64th Birthdays. For details, contact Dave Spriggs at
NNHS64@cox.net and SEE:
- CLASS OF
Saturday, April 30, 2010 - The NNHS Class will have a Luncheon. Team
Leaders are Mickey Marcella (firstname.lastname@example.org
- 757-249-3800), Betty Hamby Neher
(email@example.com - 757-898-5099), and Dr. Harry Simpson
(firstname.lastname@example.org - 804-694-0346). -
CLASS OF 1954 10.
Saturday, July 9, 2011 (6:30 PM to 11:30 PM) - The Class of 1971 will
hold its 40-Year Reunion at Newport News Marriott at City Center, 740
Town Center Drive, Newport News. For details, contact Richard Rawls
at Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF
3. Thursday, October 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have fiends in that year, go visit with them.
4. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - "TYPHOON TAILGATE - STOKES' REVENGE 2" - from 10:00 AM and onwards at CNU Parking Lot N - SPONSORED BY THE CLASS OF 1966 AND THE SPD; OPEN TO ALL - http://www.nnhs65.com/reunion-page/10-09-10-Typhoon-Tailgate.pdf - http://nnhs65.com/frat-soro-SPD.html
5. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their 65th Birthdays at a Party at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview at Yorktown from 5:00 PM to 10:PM. For details, contact Susie Overton Jones at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1963
6. Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
7. Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion. For details, contact Dave Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org - SEE: http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65.html - http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65-ATTENDING.html - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965
8. Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk - The NNHS Class of 1964 will hold an evening cruise on the Spirit of Norfolk to celebrate their 64th Birthdays. For details, contact Dave Spriggs at NNHS64@cox.net and SEE: http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964.html -NNHS-64-64-CRUISE-INVITATION.doc - http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964-RESERVATION-FORM.html - http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964-ATTENDING.html - CLASS OF 1964
9. Saturday, April 30, 2010 - The NNHS Class will have a Luncheon. Team Leaders are Mickey Marcella (email@example.com - 757-249-3800), Betty Hamby Neher (firstname.lastname@example.org - 757-898-5099), and Dr. Harry Simpson (email@example.com - 804-694-0346). - CLASS OF 1954
10. Saturday, July 9, 2011 (6:30 PM to 11:30 PM) - The Class of 1971 will hold its 40-Year Reunion at Newport News Marriott at City Center, 740 Town Center Drive, Newport News. For details, contact Richard Rawls at Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 08/22/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 08/04/09
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
Strike Up the Band
Music by George Gershwin (26 Sept 1898 – 11 July 1937)
(06 Dec 1896 – 17 Aug 1983), 1927
Let the drums roll out
Let the trumpet call
While the people shout "Strike up the band"
Hear the cymbals ring
Callin' one and all
To the martial swing, strike up the band
There is work to be done, to be done
Let's have fun, fun, fun
You son of a gun of a gun, take your stand
Form a line, oh, oh
Come on, let's go
Hey, leader, strike up the band!
There is work to be done, to be done
Let's have fun, fun, fun
Come on, son of a gun of a gun, take your stand
Form a line, oh, oh
Come on, let's go
Hey, Mr. Leader,
Hey, Mr. Leader,
Please strike up the band!
"Strike Up the Band" midi (piano roll version) courtesy of http://members.cox.net/cchouk/midi/ - 09/22/10
"Strike Up the Band" lyrics courtesy of http://www.lyricsdepot.com/tony-bennett/strike-up-the-band.html - 09/22/10
First Image of Mickey Rooney courtesy of http://www.lipstickalley.com/f15/old-hollywood-vintage-tea-wow-202689/index2.html - 09/22/10
Second Image of Mickey Rooney courtesy of http://www.timfowlar.com/donald_and_mickey.htm - 09/22/10
Fancy Gold Divider Line clip art courtesy of - well, I cannot seem to find that information at the moment.....
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
John Marshall High School's Justice Scale clip art courtesy of
Cheryl White Wilson (JMHS - '64) of VA - 10/13/05 (replaced 02/23/09)
Animated Laughing Frog courtesy
of Joyce Lawrence Cahoon of VA - 05/31/08
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Collinsville High School (IL) Logo courtesy of http://www.kahoks.org/chs/ - 09/22/07
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Animated Cheering Smiley
clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 08/18/05 (re-saved 02/27/09)
Animated Laughing Cat courtesy
of Joyce Lawrence Cahoon of VA - 07/29/08
Litchfield High School's Purple Panther Paw Print courtesy of http://www.litchfield.k12.il.us/ - 06/23/07
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965