- NNHS Newsletter -
I'm Beginning to See the Light
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Today's theme song was another big hit from 1945!
BONUS #1 - I'm Beginning to See the Light - Duke Ellington and His Orchestra with Joya Sherrill, 1945
BONUS #2 - I'm Beginning to See the Light - Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington
BONUS #3 - I'm Beginning to See the Light - Doris Day
BONUS #4 - I'm Beginning to See the Light - Ella Fitzgerald and The Ink Spots
|"I'm Beginning to See the Light" is a popular song and jazz standard, written by Duke Ellington, Don George, Johnny Hodges, and Harry James, and published in 1944. Ella Fitzgerald and the Ink Spots featuring Bill Kenny recorded a version in 1945, that was on the pop song hits list for six weeks in 1945, reaching #5. A competing 1945 recording by Harry James and his Orchestra, with lead vocal by Kitty Kallen reached #1 for two weeks. Duke Ellington also released in 1945 a version, which reached the top ten. (Source: Jazz Standards website)|
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Birthday tomorrow to
Tena Goodson Hensel
Mr. John Huller
(June '43) (d. 07/29/09)
Cooper of SC!
Birthday this week to:
Mr. George McIntosh
Hugh McLawhorne ('57)
Ed Nichols ('62) of Northern VA;
17 - The late Mr. George McIntosh (d. 05/04/05) AND Hugh McLawhorne ('57) AND Ed Nichols ('62) of Northern VA;
20 - Barry Stutt ('57);
21 - Maxine Petty Ramey ('57);
22 -The late Curt Overman ('59) (d. 11/05/16) AND Lola Babb Hallman ('63) of NC!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
THIS DAY IN WWII:
Heber J. Grant
September 15, 1935 - The
Nuremberg Laws deprived
German Jews of
Battle of Peleliu began as the
United States Marine Corps'
1st Marine Division and the
United States Army's
81st Infantry Division hit White and Orange beaches under heavy fire from
Japanese infantry and artillery.
September 15, 1969 - Footballer
Revaz Arveladze (რევაზ
არველაძე) was born in
can never tell what will be the result of faithful service rendered, nor
do we know when it will come back to us or to those with whom we are
associated. The reward may not come at the time, but in dividends later.
I believe we will never lose anything in life by giving service, by
making sacrifices, and doing the right thing.
(22 Nov 1856 - 14 May 1945)
From Joan Lauterbach Krause ('60) of VA - 09/15/17:
THIS DAY IN 1969:
Heber J. Grant
|Thank you, Joan!|
From Wayne Agee ('58) of FL - 09/10/18 - "2018 Handbook (still applicable in 2019 and beyond":
HANDBOOK 2018 |
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar.
3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants..
4. Live with the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy
5. Make time to pray.
6. Play more games
7. Read more books than you did in 2017.
8. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day
9. Sleep for 7 hours.
10. Take a 10-30 minutes walk daily. And while you walk, smile.
11. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
12. Don't have negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
13. Don't over do. Keep your limits.
14. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
15. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip.
16. Dream more while you are awake
17. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
18. Forget issues of the past.. Don't remind your partner of his/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don't hate others.
20. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
21. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
22. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
23. Smile and laugh more.
24. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
25. You don't have to attend every argument that you are invited to.
25. Call your family often.
26. Each day give something good to others.
27. Forgive everyone for everything.
28. Spend time w/ people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
29. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
30. What other people think of you is none of your business.
31. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
32. Do the right thing!
33. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
34. GOD heals everything.
35. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
36. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
37. The best is yet to come.
38. When you awake alive in the morning, thank GOD for it.
39. Your Inner most is always happy. So, be happy.
Last but not the least:
40. Please Forward this to everyone you care about, I just did.font-family:Arial; color:navy">
ABSOLUTELY! Thank you, Wayne!
From Margaret Elmore Tolly ('58) of VA - 09/14/15:
|Thanks, Margaret! I did, too - but only barely!|
Our love was soggy, like the biscuits I forgot to take out of the
(b. 05 Mar 1982)
|BONUS SEE THE LIGHT CROCHET PATTERNS:|
12 Free Crochet Lampshade Patterns to Light Up Your Home
|BONUS SEE THE LIGHT KNIT PATTERN:|
Lucinda Ganderton's See the Light Lampshade
BONUS SEE THE LIGHT RECIPES:
From www.ajokeaday.com - 09/14/18:
|A tourist parked his car in
downtown Washington, D.C. He said to a man standing near the curb,
"Listen, I'm going to be only a couple of minutes. Would you watch my
car while I run into this store?"
"What?" the man huffed. "Do you realize that I am a member of the United States Congress?"
"Well, no," the tourist said, "I didn't realize that. But it's all right. I'll trust you anyway."
DATES TO REMEMBER:
Words and music by
Duke Ellington (29 Apr 1899 - 24 May 1974),
"I'm Beginning to See the Light" midi courtesy of http://www.electrofresh.com/midi-15806-download-gerry_mulligan_quartet-im_beginning_to_see_the_light.html - 09/13/12
"I'm Beginning to See the Light" lyrics courtesy of http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/harry-james-lyrics/i_m-beginning-to-see-the-light-lyrics.html - 09/13/12
Light Bulb Image courtesy of http://thethrillzofhillz.blogspot.com/2012/01/make-something-upcycled-lightbulb.html -9/13/12
White Star Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars4.html - ummm, some time back.....
Animated Army, and Navy Flags clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of
Replaced courtesy of http://www.hamptonhigh1964.com - 02/17/09
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Animated Dancing Elephant courtesy of Sandi Bateman Chestnut ('65) of VA -
Jeffrey Holman's Image "A Drop in the Bucket" courtesy of
Return to NNHS Class of 1965