09/14/15 - NNHS Newsletter -
Happy Rosh Hashanah!
“Shana Tova - May you be inscribed in the Book of Life!”
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
The Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, began last evening at sunset, ushering in the High Holidays (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkot).
This Holiday celebration repeats around this same time every year. No doubt most of us are probably not personally observing this holiday, but we don't concern ourselves with such trifling details such as that here. We try to celebrate everything together as the one big happy family that we are. So we extend all our best wishes for all good things for all our friends and family!
Happy Rosh Hashanah!
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Zt-6_eK_E&NR=1- Avinu Malkenu - sing-along version
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkmDNjB8xg - Avinu Malkenu - Reb Yisroel Edelson on piano
BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9BpdBFv8SE&NR=1 - Avinu Malkenu - Nika Diamant and Rabbi Michael Dushinsky
BONUS #4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMp9-QGoCDw&NR=1 - Avinu Malkenu - Gia Beshitaishvily and The Moscow Oratorio Society, June 8, 2008
BONUS #5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4DfzpoXdeA&NR=1 - Avinu Malkenu - Georgiy Faradzhev and The Moscow Male Jewish Cappella, 2008
BONUS #6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAgTq-KUFMo - Avinu Malkenu - The New York Synagogue Choir, November 29, 2008
BONUS #7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YONAP39jVE - Avinu Malkenu - Barbra Streisand
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday today to The late Bill Brewer ('57) (deceased 08/30/12) AND Jeanette Parrish Houston ('64) of VA AND Rick Harman ('65) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
16 - The late Tena Goodson Hensel (June '39) (deceased 06/09/15) AND The late Mr. John Huller ('43) (deceased 07/29/09) AND Brian Cooper of SC;
17 - The late Mr. George McIntosh (deceased - 05/04/05) AND Hugh McLawhorne ('57) AND Ed Nichols ('62) of Northern VA;
18 - Bobby Bell ('57) AND Gloria Woolard Price (Hampton HS - '65) of FL AND The United States Air Force - 1947;
20 - Barry Stutt ('57);
21 - Maxine Petty Ramey ('57)!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
THIS DAY IN WWII:
|September 14, 1930 - Germans elected Nazis to office
making them the second largest political party in Germany.
September 14, 1939 - The Estonian military boarded the Polish submarine ORP Orzeł in Tallinn, sparking a diplomatic incident that the Soviet Union would later use to justify the annexation of Estonia.
September 14, 1944 -
Maastricht became the first Dutch city to be liberated by
THIS DAY IN 1965:
|Tuesday, September 14, 1965 - Journalist and academic
Emily Bell was born Emily Jane Bell in King's Lynn, Norfolk, England.
Tuesday, September 14, 1965 - The Third President of Russia and tenth Prime Minister of Russia, Dmitry Medvedev, was born Dmitry Anatolyevich Medvedev (Дми́трий Анато́льевич Медве́дев) in Leningrad, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union.
Tuesday, September 14, 1965 - Ballet dancer and director Kevin O'Hare was born in Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire, England.
|“Never make negative
comments or spread rumors about anyone. It depreciates their reputation
- Brian Koslow
From Christine Wilson Starkman ('68) of CA - 09/14/15 - "L'Shanah Tovah!":
Thanks, Chris! Happy New Year!
“A string of burglaries is a crime necklace. Everything I have can be
stolen except love, because I give it all away.”
(b. 05 Mar 1982)
From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of NC - 09/06/15 - "Surprising Facts You May Have Never Heard (#4 in a series of 21)":
No matter how old you are, or where you are from, people simply can’t know
However, if you have an inquisitive mind, you probably love learning new things.
If this is the case, then these 21 facts will give your mind a good workout. (Plus, you can impress others with this exotic knowledge.)
WOWZERS! Thanks, Dools!
|BONUS ROSH HASHANAH CROCHET PATTERNS:|
http://crochet.about.com/od/homedecorpatterns/ig/Rosh-Hashanah-Potholder/Rosh-Hashanah-Potholders.htm - Rosh Hashanah Potholders - "The pattern includes a chart for stitching a greeting onto the potholders. The greeting reads "L'Shanah Tovah" and there is an apple motif in the center, symbolizing good wishes for a sweet year."
http://crochet.about.com/od/homedecorpatterns/ig/Rosh-Hashanah-Potholder/Free-Rosh-Hashanah-Chart.htm - Rosh Hashanah Charted Greeting - "Use this chart to stitch a Rosh Hashanah greeting onto a crocheted potholder or other craft project. These potholders make great gifts for the Jewish New Year."
|BONUS ROSH HASHANAH RECIPES:|
|http://allrecipes.com/recipes/holidays-and-events/rosh-hashanah/ - Rosh Hashanah Recipes - "...more than 110 trusted Rosh Hashanah recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips."|
From www.ajokeaday.com - 09/13/15:
|HOW TO KEEP A HEALTHY LEVEL OF
INSANITY AND DRIVE OTHER PEOPLE INSANE (Submitted by Jonalee Echols from
1. Page yourself over the intercom. Don't disguise your voice.
2. Find out where your boss shops and buy exactly the same outfits. Always wear them one day after your boss does. This is especially effective if your boss is the opposite gender.
3. Put mosquito netting around your cubicle.
4. Every time someone asks you to do something, ask if they want fries with that.
5. Put your garbage can on your desk and label it "IN."
6. When driving colleagues around, insist on keeping your car's windshield wipers running during all weather conditions to keep 'em tuned up.
7. Reply to everything someone says with, "That's what you think."
8. Highlight irrelevant information in scientific papers, then cc them to your boss.
9. Finish all your sentences with "in accordance with the prophecy."
10. At lunchtime, sit in your parked car and point a hair dryer at passing cars to see if they slow down.
11. Specify that your drive-thru order is "to go."
12. Go to a poetry recital and ask why the poems don't rhyme.
Friday and Saturday, September 25 and 26, 2015 - The Warwick HS Class of 1960
will hold its 55-Year Reunion. Friday night: at the Warwick Yacht Club; Saturday
night: James River Country Club. DETAILS:
2. Friday and Saturday, October 9, 10 and 11, 2015 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 55-Year Reunion. CONTACT: Karen Weinstein Witte at Kwwitte@gmail.com.
3. Friday and Saturday, October 16 and 17, 2015 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott at City Center, 740 Town Center Drive, Newport News. Friday night will be open to all graduates of NNHS; Saturday night will be reserved for 1965 Class members and their guests.
CONTACT: Lynn Walker Brothers @ email@example.com or Pauline Collins Shofner @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 08/22/15
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 03/13/11
Y'all take good care of each
other! TYPHOONS FOREVER!
Love to all, Carol
Carol Buckley Harty
7020 Lure Court
Fayetteville, NC 28311-9309
2.Go to www.PayPal.com, log in, select "Send Money (Services) to email@example.com; or
3. Just mail it directly to my home. Thanks!
Khonenu va'anenu (2x)
Ki ein banu ma'asim
Asei imanu tsedaka vakhesed (2x)
Our Father, Our King
Grant us grace and answer us,
For we lack in deeds
Do it justice and kindness with us
And save us
"Avinu Malkenu" midi and lyrics courtesy of http://www.greatjewishmusic.com/Midifiles/Rosh-Hashana/Avinu-Malkenu.html - 09/12/07
Rosh Hashanah Title Art courtesy of http://www.atmgreetings.com/events/rosh_hashanah/ - 09/07/10
Image of Gold Star of
David Pendant used to form logo
which in turn forms the Divider Lines courtesy
of http://rainbowspiritbeads.com/shop/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=202 - 11/23/08
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late Herbert Hice of MI
one of my
who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of
http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2015
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Animated Air Force, Army, and Navy Flags clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Replaced courtesy of http://www.hamptonhigh1964.com - 02/17/09
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2015