- NNHS Newsletter
When I Grow Too Old to Dream
“I have always been amazed
at the way an ordinary observer lends so much more
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Today's Newsletter theme is being revisited from exactly five years ago today:
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNB8VbFmlOY - When I Grow Too Old to Dream - Vera Lynn
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9Ry_W3tD8 - When I Grow Too Old to Dream - Nat King Cole
BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQaeg582kRQ - When I Grow Too Old to Dream - Linda Ronstadt with Kermit the Frog
"When I Grow Too Old to Dream" is a popular song with music by Sigmund Romberg and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, published in 1934. The song has become a pop standard, recorded by many artists, most notably Gracie Fields.
From Charlie Hilling ('56) of FL - 08/23/10 - "Status of Nelson Ellis":
I'm so very sorry to hear this, Charlie! I do not know, nor do I know who might.
From Dave Arnold ('65) of VA - 08/06/10 - "Update on locations - Class of 1965's 45-Year Reunion - Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES!":
Please post this updated announcement when you have a moment.
Friday evening we’ll meet at the home of Lynn Walker Brothers ’65 and her husband Barry (York HS - '65). They have graciously extended an offer to open their home for the event. Light hors d’oeuvres will be served, and we would request a $5.00 donation to assist in covering the expenses for that evening if you attend. The change in location was decided when members of the reunion committee thought the original location might not be as suitable for conversation as originally planned. The Brothers residence is located at 304 Dogwood Drive, Newport News. The telephone number is 757-595-4116. We’ll post a map providing directions.
http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65.html - significantly updated 08/07/10!
http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65-ATTENDING.html - updated 08/18/10!
Thank you, Dave!
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 07/30/10 - "BIRTHDAY CRUISE":
BIRTHDAY CRUISE RESERVATION DEADLINE IS 20 SEPTEMBER.
I just reviewed my contract with the Spirit of Norfolk. I must give them the final attendee count and final payment no later than 23 September. That means that I must receive your reservation and check no later than 20 September.
However, keep in mind that I cannot guarantee you a seat, after the first 40 seats are reserved.
BOTTOM LINE: Send your reservation now, if you want to be assured of a seat.
http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964.html - Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk, VA - updated 07/30/10!
- 30 slots left! - updated 08/22/10!
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday this week to:
27 - Pat Helmick Glover ('57) AND Nancy Timberlake Spencer ('57) AND My Cousin, Jim Atkinson (John Randolph Tucker HS - '77) of AZ;
28 - the late Tony Lapides ('57) (deceased 06/18/09);
29 - Richard Coltrane ('57) of __ AND the late Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) - 1948 (deceased 09/17/08);
30 - Me ('65) of IL AND Chuck Springfield ('66) of VA;
31 - Pat Beck Letzinger ('57) of VA AND Joan Lauterbach Krause ('60) of VA AND Elaine Wilkinson Bracken ('61) of VA AND My Grandson, Jacob Harty of TX;
01 - Ellen Overton Weiss ('68) of VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
YESTERDAY IN WWII:
|August 24, 1942 - The
Battle of the Eastern Solomons: U.S. forces sank the
USS Enterprise was heavily damaged. During this battle the "coastwatchers,"
volunteers that reported on Japanese ship and aircraft movement, were a
key to American success.
August 24, 1944 - Allied troops began
the attack on Paris.
TODAY IN WWII:
|August 25, 1939 - Britain and Poland signed a Mutual
August 25, 1940 - British air raids on Berlin began.
August 25, 1941 - Allied forces invaded Iran. Within four days the Soviet Union and Great Britain controlled Iran.
August 25, 1942 -
Battle of Milne Bay,
Papua New Guinea
August 25, 1943 - U.S. forces overran New Georgia in
the Solomon Islands.
YESTERDAY IN 1965:
|Tuesday, August 24, 1965 - Actress Marlee Matlin was born in Morton Grove, Illinois.|
TODAY IN 1965:
|Wednesday, August 25, 1965 - Singer Mia Zapata (The Gits) was born in Louisville, Kentucky. She was murdered on July 7, 1993 in Seattle, Washington at the age of 27.|
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) - 08/05/10 - "Vote for Grace (REPEATED)":
This is my daughter Laura's dog in a contest to be on the cover of a bag
of dog food.
Vote every day for Grace. Thanks.
Oh, Laura is your daughter, Norris! Well, that makes it all the more important! When I tried to vote for Grace again today, I noticed the site was trying to pull a switcheroo on me. It tried to persuade me to vote for the wrong Grace! OH, NO!
That's why I've included the link to all the candidates named Grace, along with the image of The Real Grace, lest there be any confusion. As y'all can see, she's a Weimaraner from Richmond.
Vote early, and vote often - or at least cast your allotted daily vote!
From Suzanne Pearson, Media Relations Manager, Newport News Tourism Development Office, to Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 08/24/10 - "Book Signing with Newport News High School Ties":
Dear Mr. Spriggs,
I found your name and e-mail address on the Newport News Public Schools website. I’m hoping that you might be able to assist me in getting the word out to your alumni about a book signing coming up this Saturday at the Newport News Visitor Center. Newport News native William A. Fox will be signing copies of his new book, Downtown Newport News, which includes several pictures of Newport News High School. I have attached a copy of the media release that gives all the details and below is a shorter version of that release. Anything that you would be willing to do to help get the word out to your alumni would be greatly appreciated.
Newport News Visitor Center to Hold Book Signing for Local Author
Take a trip down memory lane and save some green at the same time! Newport News native William A. Fox will be signing specially-priced copies of his newly-released book, Downtown Newport News, at the Newport News Visitor Center on Saturday, August 28, 2010 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. In addition, the first 25 visitors who purchase a copy of Downtown Newport News will also receive a VIP Passport, valued at over $120.
The NNVC is located at 13560 Jefferson Avenue, at the entrance to Newport News Park. Published by Arcadia Publishing, Downtown Newport News is part of their Images of America series. For more information about the book signing or to purchase signed, specially-priced copies of Downtown Newport News, call the NNVC at 757-886-7777 or go online at www.newport-news.org.
Certainly, Dave - and Suzanne! How exciting!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 08/24/10 - "Tuesday--Good To Know & More":
Won't be back on til the weekend.....
|((Good To Know))
Washing your hands may seem rather unsophisticated compared to today’s medical advances, but it works. Washing your hands reduces the rate of bacterial and viral infections by 1/3 to 1/2, and gastrointestinal infections by 80%. “Frequent hand-washing is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of infectious disease,” say the Centers for Disease Control.
You should wash your hands before, during, and after food preparation; before eating; after using the bathroom; and after touching pets, animals, or waste of any kind. To wash your hands: apply soap and rub your hands together vigorously for 10-15 seconds not forgetting under your fingernails, rinse and dry your hands after.
Anxieties Make a House Call
From Jane Chambers of VA - 07/01/09, 02/07/10, AND 07/31/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD" AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA AND DRAMATIC WORKSHOPS STUDENTS:
Contact Dr. Chambers at email@example.com.
From Ruth Ann Reece Horace ('67) of FL - 08/17/10 - "The Irony of it all! (#6 in a Series of 15)":
From the Friends of
From ArcaMaxJokes - 08/24/10:
|To Do List
When I returned home from college for a break, I noticed a paper posted on the refrigerator. It listed some goals my dad had set for himself: Help wife more; lose weight; be more productive at work.
I promptly added: "Send Michelle money every month."
A few days later my brother wrote: "Make payments on car for Jason."
Then my boyfriend joined in with: "Buy Tom a Jeep."
Finally my father added a new goal to his amended list: "Wean kids."
Thursday, September 2, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch
gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak
House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News
at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if
you have fiends in that year, go visit with them.
2. Saturday, October 2, 2010 - Evelyn's Birthday Party for Everyone - Canepa Cottage, Buckroe Beach - 2:00 PM. For details, contact Evelyn Fryer Fish ('58) of TX at firstname.lastname@example.org - SEE: http://nnhs65.com/10-02-10-EVELYNS-PARTY.html - OPEN TO EVERYBODY!
3. Thursday, October 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have fiends in that year, go visit with them.
4. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - "TYPHOON TAILGATE - STOKES' REVENGE 2" - from 10:00 AM and onwards at CNU Parking Lot N - SPONSORED BY THE CLASS OF 1966 AND THE SPD; OPEN TO ALL - http://www.nnhs65.com/reunion-page/10-09-10-Typhoon-Tailgate.pdf - http://nnhs65.com/frat-soro-SPD.html
5. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their 65th Birthdays at a Party at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview at Yorktown from 5:00 PM to 10:PM. For details, contact Susie Overton Jones at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1963
6. Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
7. Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion. For details, contact Dave Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org - SEE: http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65.html - http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65-ATTENDING.html - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965
8. Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk - The NNHS Class of 1964 will hold an evening cruise on the Spirit of Norfolk to celebrate their 64th Birthdays. For details, contact Dave Spriggs at NNHS64@cox.net and SEE: http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964.html -NNHS-64-64-CRUISE-INVITATION.doc - http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964-RESERVATION-FORM.html - http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964-ATTENDING.html - CLASS OF 1964
9. Saturday, April 30, 2010 - The NNHS Class will have a Luncheon. Team Leaders are Mickey Marcella (email@example.com - 757-249-3800), Betty Hamby Neher (firstname.lastname@example.org - 757-898-5099), and Dr. Harry Simpson (email@example.com - 804-694-0346). - CLASS OF 1954
10. Saturday, July 9, 2011 (6:30 PM to 11:30 PM) - The Class of 1971 will hold its 40-Year at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, 950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News. For details, contact Richard Rawls at Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 08/22/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 08/04/09
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
When I Grow Too Old to Dream
Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II (12 July 1895 – 23 Aug 1960)
(29 July 1887 – 09 Nov 1951), 1934
From the 1935 movie 'The Night Is Young'
We have been gay, going our way
Life has been beautiful, we have been young
After you've gone, life will go on
Like an old song we have sung
When I grow too old to dream
I'll have you to remember
When I grow too old to dream
Your love will live in my heart
So, kiss me my sweet
And so let us part
And when I grow too old to dream
That kiss will live in my heart
And when I grow too old to dream
Your love will live in my heart
Grow Too Old to Dream" midi (sequenced by
Grandpa Frank Schober) and lyrics courtesy
of http://www.rienzihills.com/SING/w/whenigrowtoooldtodream.htm - 08/18/05
"Bunny Love" clip art courtesy of http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Valentine.html - 08/18/05
Lacy Heart Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://members.tripod.com/~emelinda/index-12.html - 10/04/04
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
J. R. Tucker High School's Orange Tiger Paw Print courtesy of http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/hs/tucker/resources/about.htm - 11/12/07
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965