08/13/08 - NNHS Newsletter
ďAim at a high mark and you will hit it. No, not the first time, not the
ďAim at a high mark and you will hit it. No, not the first time, not the
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
I hope you're finding these Birthday Celebrations as interesting and informative as I am! Of course, that means you have to do your homework assignments and watch your videos!
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqclpqbHbpQ - Annie Get your Gun Trailer, 1946
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2RdB1uio5I - You Can't Get A Man With A Gun ~ Megan Mullally
Happy Birthday this week to:
14 - Tommie Mouser ('60) of VA AND My Grandson, Joseph Harty of OR;
17 - Carole Smith Bennett ('57), Eugene Chapman ('57), AND Ruth Ann Reece Horace ('67) of FL;
18 - Etta L. Baker ('57) AND Darlene Willis Marshall (Hampton HS - '68) of VA;
Jimmy DeBerry ('64) of VA
Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA;
20 - Chip Clark ('65) of Northern VA AND Eddie Vest ('68) of VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
Hit #76,000 was made on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM by someone from Southern California using socal.res.rr.com.
From Hunter Todd ('57) of TX - 08/09/08 (Hunter's Birthday!) - "August News from WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival":
WOWZERONI-RINI-ROONI!!! Congratulations, Hunter!!!
From Rochelle Spooner ('63) of NY - 08/11/08 - "Reunion":
Thanks, Rochelle!I have forwarded your request on to those in charge!
For those of y'all not up on your Sanskrit:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namaste
From My Friend, Judy, of IL - 08/10/08 - "USA--well worth your time to look at this":
This is beautiful!!!
OHHHH!!! How breathtaking! Thanks, Judy!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 08/11/08 - "Perspective":
This is the most beautiful advice I have ever received in an email .... please don't close this one before reading!
An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
2. Go to bed on time.
3. Get up on time so you can start the day unrushed.
4. Say No to projects that won't fit into your time schedule, or that will compromise your mental health.
5. Delegate tasks to capable others.
6. Simplify and un-clutter your life.
7. Less is more. (Although one is often not enough, two are often too many.)
8. Allow extra time to do things and to get to places.
9. Pace yourself. Spread out big changes and difficult projects over time; don't lump the hard things all together.
10. Take one day at a time.
11. Separate worries from concerns . If a situation is a concern, find out what God would have you do and let go of the anxiety. If you can't do anything about a situation, forget it.
12. Live within your budget; don't use credit cards for ordinary purchases.
13. Have backups; an extra car key in your wallet, an extra house key buried in the garden, extra stamps, etc.
14. K.M.S. (Keep Mouth Shut). This single piece of advice can prevent an enormous amount of trouble.
15. Do something for the Kid in You everyday.
16. Carry a Bible with you to read while waiting in line.
17. Get enough rest.
18. Eat right.
19. Get organized so everything has its place.
20. Listen to a tape while driving that can help improve your quality of life.
21. Write down thoughts and inspirations.
22. Every day, find time to be alone.
23. Having problems? Talk to God on the spot. Try to nip small problems in the bud. Don't wait until it's time to go to bed to try and pray.
24. Make friends with Godly people.
25. Keep a folder of favorite scriptures on hand.
26. Remember that the shortest bridge between despair and hope is often a good 'Thank you Jesus .'
28. Laugh some more!
29. Take your work seriously, but not yourself at all.
30. Develop a forgiving attitude (most people are doing the best they can).
31. Be kind to unkind people (they probably need it the most).
32. Sit on your ego.
33 Talk less; listen more.
34. Slow down.
35. Remind yourself that you are not the general manager of the universe.
36 Every night before bed, think of one thing you're grateful for that you've never been grateful for before. GOD HAS A WAY OF TURNING THINGS AROUND FOR YOU.
'If God be for us, who can be against us?'
Thanks, Joyce - and a big AMEN!
From Bill Hobbs ('66) of Northern VA - 08/11/08 - "I Believe":
Thanks, Billy - and another big AMEN!
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of VA 08/12/08 - "Interesting info":
Check this out! Interesting info
This is fascinating information - Thanks, Norris! (NOTE: Sometimes this plays and sometimes it balks; must be a question of bandwidth...)
From Richard Dawes (NNHS / HHS - '62) of VA - 08/12/08 - "nuclear":
One of the reasons I liked working at
Jefferson Lab was, we had the inside for "Nuclear Rap".
How delightfully educational! Thanks, Dicky!
From Jerry Blanchard ('62) of VA - 08/12/08 - "Jimmy Dean":
I have a story to tell about Jimmy Dean myself.
Back in the mid 50's we lived in Md. on the line with D.C. My mom worked in a
restaurant that was next door to a small night club. The headliners at that club
were Jimmy Dean and Patsy Cline. At that time they had a 15 minute T.V. show out
of Washington. They would do the night club act at night. Lots of times between
shows they would go over to the restaurant to get something to eat. Mom struck
up a friendship with them. On several occasions Mr. Dean and Ms. Cline sat at
our kitchen table and played cards with them. I can just barely remember it.
Even in those days Jimmy Dean wore his cowboy duds.
I doubt if he would remember me or any of my family (both parents passed away in 1997).
WOWZERONI-RINI!!! And you might be surprised! Thank you for sharing that with us, Jerry!
Keep your chin up girl, Friday is coming!
Jerry Blanchard Class of 62
Friday, eh? Well, this Friday will be payday - always a good thing, even with (or especially with!) a part-time job! And this Friday is also our 39th Wedding Anniversary, so yeah, it should be a good day - thanks, Sweetie!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 08/05/08 - "We've All Been There!!! " (#6 in a series of 15):
We've All Been There!!!
GIGGLES! Thanks, Joyce!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
Jerry Allen ('65) of VA -
update of 07/25/08 -
update of 07/28/08 -
"Jerry's HOME!!! He is ... feeling much better. He will still have to tackle
some health issues, but we are getting there!"
2.Julius Benton ('58) of VA - diagnosed years ago with Pick's Disease; update of 07/18/08 - SEE: 07/19/08
3. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP;update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal; update of 04/28/08 - SEE: 04/28/08; update of 06/23/08 - surgery on right eye - 07/01/08; surgery on left eye to follow several weeks later as financial goals are met
Connie Bloxom ThompsonD 21015
4. Betty Brockwell McClure ('58) of VA - broken hip - early this year; still recovering and in pain; update of 06/17/08 - SEE: 06/18/08
5.Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
6. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - still in pain, running a fever; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08; update of 05/05/08 - "finally getting better. Her hamstring stretching is painful, but making a big difference. She has years of physical therapy ahead of her, but is doing soo much better"; update of 05/13/08 - has had a setback; going to see the surgeon in Richmond on 05/15/08; update of 06/15/08 - SEE: 06/17/08
7.Dale Chestnut (Nakina HS, NC - '54) of VA suffered heart attack on 07/25/08, fell on sidewalk during attack, breaking his nose and cheekbone and losing a tooth; is in critical condition in Mary Immaculate ICU; update of 08/04/08 - SEE ABOVE
8.Carol Cook Campbell ('62) of VA - update of 07/26/08 - heart catheter; at home now and doing fine
9. My Niece, Shari, of VA - hospitalized 07/19/08
10. Jimmy DeBerry ('64) of VA - stroke on 06/17/08; update of 06/25/08 - SEE: 06/26/08; update of 07/02/08 - SEE: 07/03/08; update of 07/26/08 - "went home July 10th and is doing GREAT; walking each night, having therapy a few times a week and progressing very well"
11.Jamey Douglas Bacon ('66) of VA - knee surgery with complications on 07/01/08 - update of 07/10/08 - SEE: 07/12/08; update of 07/20/08 - SEE: 07/21/08
12. My second granddaughter,Rachel Harty of IL - broke her ankle/leg in 3 places on 05/17/08; clean breaks, no surgery required, but located in a tricky place for a growing girl, so proper healing is essential; update of 05/30/08 - "healing nicely. They put her in a cast below the knee. She still can't put any weight on it for 2 more weeks. Then she will be in a walking cast for 3 weeks after that"; update of 06/14/08 - Her leg is healing much faster than the doctor had expected. She is in a waterproof walking cast now for 3 weeks, then this cast will come off and she will have physical therapy; update of 07/06/08: SEE: 07/07/08; update of 07/27/08 - "has completed her physical therapy, and is now totally healed!"; update of 07/29/08 - SEE ABOVE
13. Pat Floyd Pride ('62) of VA - update of 07/26/08 - hip surgery - at home now and doing fine
14. Bitsy Heath ('57) of VA - 07/02/08 - abdominal aneurysm requiring surgery; also having other issues with breathing and pulmonary output; SEE: 07/03/08
16. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"; update of 05/10/08: "continues to do well since the surgery for pancreatic cancer and will now begin the follow-up treatment to be decided upon following the consultation and evaluation at MD Anderson (Houston).
17. Charley Mugler of VA - suffered massive on 07/20/08
18. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!; update of 05/04/08 - "in about eight months she will indeed have to have the ablation process repeated."
19. Marsha Rice ('62) of VA - update of 07/26/08 - knee surgery - at home now and doing fine
20. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"; update of 05/22/08 - "still at home recuperating"; update of 06/09/08 - "still at home recovering. I am sure they would love receiving cards/notes from NNHS friends."
22. Jenny Willett Wilson (daughter of the late Edie Hallett Willett - '63) of VA - 05/05/08 - "underwent a double mastectomy in 2007, has just completed vigorous chemo and is now undergoing radiation treatments every day for seven weeks"; update of 07/19/08 - finished her radiation treatments and is now cancer free !!!!! - will be having reconstructive surgery in August.
23. Jim Wilson ('58) of VA recovering from prostate surgery on 06/02/08
24. All of Us
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 -NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
2. Saturday, September 27, 2008 -EVERYONE:
Evelyn Fryer Fish's Birthday Party for All of Us
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008- NNHS CLASS OF 1963 - AND PERHAPS OTHERS:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 07/23/08
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
You Can't Get a Man with a Gun
Words and Music by Irving Berlin,
1946 for "Annie Get Your Gun"
Oh, my mother was frightened by a
shotgun, they say
That's why I'm such a wonderful shot.
I'd be out in the cactus and I'd practice all day,
And now tell me what have I got?
I'm quick on the trigger with targets not much bigger than a pinpoint
I'm number one, but my score with a feller
Is lower than a celler, oh you can't get a man with a gun.
When I'm with a pistol, I sparkle like a crystal
yes, I shine like the morning sun,
but I lose all my luster, when with a bronco buster,
oh you can't get a man with a gun.
With a gu-un, with a gu-un, oh you can't get a man with a gun
If I went to battle with someone's herd of cattle
You'd have steak when the job was done.
But, if I shot the herder, they'd holler bloody murder
and you can't shoot a male in the tail like a quail,
Oh you can't get a man with a gun.
I'm cool, brave, and daring to see a lion glaring
when I'm out with my Remington.
But a look from a mister will raise a fever blister
oh you can't get a man with a gun
The gals with umbrellas are always out with fellers
in the rain or the blazin' sun
But a man never trifles with gals who carry rifles
oh you can't get a man with a gun.
With a gu-un, with a gu-un, oh you can't get a man with a gun.
A man's love is mighty, he'll even buy a nightie
for a gal who he thinks is fun.
But they don't buy pajamas for pistol packin' mamas
and you can't get a hug from a mug, with a slug
oh you can't get a man with a gun.
"You Can't Get a Man with a Gun" midi courtesy of http://www.hamienet.com/midi2654.html - 08/13/08
Get a Man with a Gun"
of http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/You-Can't-Get-a-Man-With-a-Gun-lyrics-Irving-Berlin/DE922A3743E3796448256CBE000CF86F - 08/13/08
First Image of Annie Oakley courtesy of http://hem.passagen.se/topic/annieoakley.html - 08/13/08
Second (1922) Image of Annie Oakley courtesy of http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Annie_Oakley_NYWTS.jpg - 08/13/08
Rifle clip art used to form Divider Lines courtesy of http://community.thewotch.com/index.php?showtopic=2224&st=0 - 08/13/08
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip
art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Page Hit Counter clip art courtesy of http://www.bravenet.com - 03/07/06
Coast Guard Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/SealsEmblems/USCG.htm - 10/03/07
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965