08/06/10 - NNHS
“The grand essentials to
happiness in this life are something to do,
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
I think we've never used this song as a Newsletter theme before. Of course, I've thought that a couple of other times recently, only to have expended a lot of time and thought redeveloping graphics and such before I finally realized that we had.....
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ1NYFFDT8I - When You Wish Upon a Star - Cliff Edwards
BONUS #2 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkIZ4lXjfJo&NR=1 - When
You Wish Upon a Star - cartoon with a surprise
BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cHsPCAZlP4 - When You Wish Upon a Star - cartoon with Louis Armstrong
BONUS #4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpKzccrLmw0 - When You Wish Upon a Star - Linda Ronstadt
BONUS #5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yy-IcfOafI - When You Wish Upon a Star - Julie Andrews, 1971
BONUS #6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luoPNxyi2fE&NR=1 - When You Wish Upon a Star - Billy Joel - From 1991's "Simply Mad About the Mouse"
BONUS #7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiJHKQDfLJY - When You Wish Upon a Star - Josh Groban, 2008 - no video, but hey, with such a magnificent voice, who cares?
"When You Wish upon a Star" is a song written by Leigh Harline and Ned Washington for Walt Disney's 1940 adaptation of Pinocchio. The original version of the song was sung by Cliff Edwards in the character of Jiminy Cricket and is heard over the opening credits and again in the final scene of the film. The song has since become an icon of The Walt Disney Company.....
"When You Wish Upon a Star" won the Academy Award for Best Original Song.....
The American Film Institute ranked "When You Wish Upon A Star" seventh in their 100 Greatest Songs in Film History, the highest ranked Disney animated film song, and also one of only four Disney animated film songs to appeared on the list, the others being "Some Day My Prince Will Come" from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs peaked at nineteenth, "Beauty and the Beast" from Beauty and the Beast peaked at #62, and "Hakuna Matata" from The Lion King, which peaked at #99.....
The song has – along with Mickey Mouse – become an icon of The Walt Disney Company.....
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 07/30/10 - "BIRTHDAY CRUISE":
BIRTHDAY CRUISE RESERVATION DEADLINE IS 20 SEPTEMBER.
I just reviewed my contract with the Spirit of Norfolk. I must give them the final attendee count and final payment no later than 23 September. That means that I must receive your reservation and check no later than 20 September.
However, keep in mind that I cannot guarantee you a seat, after the first 40 seats are reserved.
BOTTOM LINE: Send your reservation now, if you want to be assured of a seat.
http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964.html - Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk, VA - updated 07/30/10!
- updated 08/03/10!
Thank you, David!
From Dave Arnold ('65) of VA - 05/11/10 - "Class of 1965's 45-Year Reunion - Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES!":
Contact Dave Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org:
http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65-ATTENDING.html - updated 08/03/10!
From Carol Moell Marcella ('56) of VA - 08/05/10:
The following would like to be added to your website:
1. Renee Koskinas Hanrahan NNHS class of 1956
2. Jean Smith Weinstein NNHS class of 1956
3. Sylvia Sachs Craft Hampton High School, class of 1957
Thank you for what you do, Carol.
OOOH! A Three-Fer! Thank you, Carol! Welcome Aboard, Ladies!
I've added y'all to what remains the single most "broken" page on the entire website (although it's better than it was...)
If you'll send me your states of residence to placate my OCD, I'll quit freaking out (I do like everything to "match", doncha know). If I had to venture a guess, Jean, I'd say that you live in Maryland or the Great State of Northern Virginia. Then again, that's why I don't guess.
I'll keep your email addies private unless you tell me otherwise. Tell us your birthdays, and we can help you celebrate them - like this:
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Susan Whitcomb Harlin ('72) of TX!
Happy Birthday this week to:
09 - Katherine Adams Barbrey ('57) AND Hunter Todd ('57) of TX;
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Me ('65) of IL - 08/06/10 - "Hang in there...":
If all goes well (that is, according to Plan "A"), I will be going to Southeast Missouri to attend back-to-back family reunions (Lewis and Mason families - good old Virginia names, n'est pas?) from Sunday, August 8 to Sunday, August 15. Not only will I not be able to create any Newsletters, I will not have internet access at all, so as one of our favorite old teachers was fond of saying, "Let's keep it down to a dull roar."
Speaking of our old teachers.....
From Me ('65) of IL - 07/13/10 - "My Anniversary Gift to You (continued from Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday)":
I decided to actually work on the site itself and do some long overdue scanning. As a result, these pages are either entirely new or newly fleshed-out with images:
http://www.nnhs65.com/teach-Goolsby.html - newly restored page!
http://www.nnhs65.com/teach-Marston.html - newly restored page!
http://www.nnhs65.com/teach-Webb.html - brand new page!
TRIVIA TIDBIT: All three of these home economics teachers belonged to Trinity Methodist Church (as did I, at the time).
See, the reason I'm making all these individual pages of our beloved teachers is so you can share your memories of them!
YESTERDAY IN WWII:
August 05, 1940 - The Soviet Union formally annexed Latvia.
August 05, 1944 - Possibly the biggest prison breakout in history occurred as 545 Japanese POWs attempted to escape outside the town of Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
August 05, 1944 -
insurgents liberated a
freeing 348 Jewish
August 05, 1999 - Music written by Johann Sebastian Bach was found in the Ukraine. The music was thought to have been destroyed over 50 years before during World War II. The material was found in the musical estate of Carl Phillipp Emanuel Bach, who was one of J.S. Bach's children.
TODAY IN WWII:
|August 06, 1945 -
devastated when the
atomic bomb "Little
Boy" was dropped on an inhabited area by the
Gay. Around 70,000 people were killed instantly, and some tens
of thousands died in subsequent years from burns and
radiation poisoning - an estimated 140,000 people in all.
August 06, 1985 - The 40th anniversary of the Hiroshima atomic bombing brought tens of thousands of Japanese and foreigners to Hiroshima.
August 06, 1995 - Thousands of glowing lanterns were set afloat in rivers in Hiroshima, Japan, on the 50th anniversary of the first atomic bombing.
YESTERDAY IN 1965:
Thursday, August 05, 1965 - Composer Motoi Sakuraba (桜庭 統) was born in Akita Prefecture, Japan.
Thursday, August 05, 1965 - Actor Scott William Winters was born in New York City, New York.
TODAY IN 1965:
|Friday, August 06, 1965 - US President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act of 1965 into law.|
From Bill Fox (Warwick HS - '61) - of VA - 08/04/10 - "Our Old Stomping Grounds":Dear Carol,
Thanks, Bill!I must admit that's my favorite section of the entire website, not simply for what it is, but for the fun we had building it!
From Joe Madagan ('57) of FL - 08/04/10 - "Laguna Beach CA Historical Post Card Circa 1927":
If any of your Newsletter subscribers are Post Card Collectors, I have two (2) Post Cards of Laguna Beach, CA circa 1927. They were given to me recently, but I do not collect them, and would like to share with a collector.
If anyone is interested, they can email me at: email@example.com
Joe Madagan (57) of FL
Joe Madagan, you are such a Sweetie-Pie! Practically anyone else would think to themselves, "AHA! I can sell this on eBay!"
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) - 08/05/10 - "Vote for Grace":
This is my daughter Laura's dog in a contest to be on the cover of a bag
of dog food.
Vote every day for Grace. Thanks.
Oh, Laura is your daughter, Norris! Well, that makes it all the more important! When I tried to vote for Grace again today, I noticed the site was trying to pull a switcheroo on me. It tried to persuade me to vote for the wrong Grace! OH, NO!
That's why I've included the link to all the candidates named Grace, along with the image of The Real Grace, lest there be any confusion. As y'all can see, she's a Weimaraner from Richmond.
Vote early, and vote often - or at least cast your allotted daily vote!
From Helen Avant Neal ('57) of VA - 08/05/10 - "RE: Sydney Dearing ('56) of TN":
Sydney, how delighted I was to get your note! In fact your name comes up every now and then when we are talking of "old times". Do you remember the many times I was at your house watching TV, since we did not have one at my house? I can even remember the names of many of the shows. Your sister (Nancy Dearing Berry - '62 - of TX), you and me.
I can't remember the
name of the confection shop ~ I'll try to find out - my brother
Bob remembers everything - I'll ask him. I do most definitely
remember the hypnosis thing :) I was amazed. He even tried it on me
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) - 08/05/10 - "The Music for The Good, the Bad & the Ugly":
Remember this? I remember taking my wife to see this movie, she was largely with child, didn't like westerns. I still catch a little flak from this, after all these years. She still doesn't like Clint Eastwood.
Superb........... WAIT TILL THE GUY WHISTLES ............!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sn1XDLPWbk - by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain
WILD GIGGLES!!! She didn't like westerns - and you took her to see a spaghetti western - when she was pregnant?!? Norris, that's absolutely hysterical!
Morricone's music is unforgettable, and this version by the Ukulele
Orchestra of Great Britain is delightful!
Here are a couple more of their videos:
Chambers of VA - 07/01/09, 02/07/10, AND 07/31/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD"
AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA AND DRAMATIC WORKSHOPS STUDENTS:
Contact Dr. Chambers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From ArcaMax Jokes - 08/05/10:
|DATES TO REMEMBER:|
Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1970 was
going to hold its 40-Year Reunion, but due to limited response,
2. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 6, 7, and 8, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1960 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott Newport News at City Center. For detail, contact Karen Weinstein Witte at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1960
3. Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
4. Saturday, August 14, 2010 - The Class of 1966 will hold its first Planning Meeting for their 45-Year Reunion at 6:30 PM at Angelo's Restaurant, J. Clyde Morris Boulevard in Newport News - CLASS OF1966
5. Thursday, September 2, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have fiends in that year, go visit with them.
6. Saturday, October 2, 2010 - Evelyn's Birthday Party for Everyone - Canepa Cottage, Buckroe Beach - 2:00 PM. For details, contact Evelyn Fryer Fish ('58) of TX at firstname.lastname@example.org - SEE: http://nnhs65.com/10-02-10-EVELYNS-PARTY.html - OPEN TO EVERYBODY!
7. Thursday, October 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have fiends in that year, go visit with them.
8. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - "TYPHOON TAILGATE - STOKES' REVENGE 2" - from 10:00 AM and onwards at CNU Parking Lot N - SPONSORED BY THE CLASS OF 1966 AND THE SPD; OPEN TO ALL - http://www.nnhs65.com/reunion-page/10-09-10-Typhoon-Tailgate.pdf - http://nnhs65.com/frat-soro-SPD.html
9. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their 65th Birthdays at a Party at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview at Yorktown from 5:00 PM to 10:PM. For details, contact Susie Overton Jones at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1963
10. Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
11. Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion. For details, contact Dave Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org - SEE: http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65.html - http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65-ATTENDING.html - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965
12. Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk - The NNHS Class of 1964 will hold an evening cruise on the Spirit of Norfolk to celebrate their 64th Birthdays. For details, contact Dave Spriggs at NNHS64@cox.net and SEE: http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964.html -NNHS-64-64-CRUISE-INVITATION.doc - http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964-RESERVATION-FORM.html - http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964-ATTENDING.html - CLASS OF 1964
13. Saturday, April 30, 2010 - The NNHS Class will have a Luncheon. Team Leaders are Mickey Marcella (email@example.com - 757-249-3800), Betty Hamby Neher (firstname.lastname@example.org - 757-898-5099), and Dr. Harry Simpson (email@example.com - 804-694-0346). - CLASS OF 1954
14. Saturday, July 9, 2011 (6:30 PM to 11:30 PM) - The Class of 1971 will hold its 40-Year at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, 950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News. For details, contact Richard Rawls at Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 07/17/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 08/04/09
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
Originally sung by
(14 June1895 – 17 July 1971) as
When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you
If your heart is in your dream
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
As dreamers do
Fate is kind
She brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing
Like a bolt out of the blue
Fate steps in and sees you through
When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true
"When You Wish Upon a Star" midi courtesy of http://www.reocities.com/aequum/music20s-50s.html - 08/06/10
"When You Wish Upon a Star" lyrics courtesy of http://www.lyricsdownload.com/disney-when-you-wish-upon-a-star-lyrics.html - 08/06/10
Image of Jessie Wilcox Smith's Painting "Wish Upon a Star" courtesy of http://wizardofbaum.blogspot.com/ - 08/06/10
Animated Head-Bonking Smiley courtesy of http://www.hauntedhamilton.com/cgi-bin/scripts/board-image-lister.cgi - 02/20/09
Divider Line 536 clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/tx5280/lines11.html - 08/06/10
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Animated "NEW" clip art courtesy of http://gifsnow.com/ - 03/07/06
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of
http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Replaced courtesy of http://www.hamptonhigh1964.com - 02/17/09
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Animated United States Coast Guard Flag clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Coast Guard Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/SealsEmblems/USCG.htm - 10/03/07
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965