08/03/08 - NNHS Newsletter
“I have a simple life. I mean, you just give me a drum roll, they announce
“I have a simple life. I mean, you just give me a drum roll, they announce
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
This is another new birthday celebration for us.
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6d03gbmAzc - I Left My Heart In San Francisco - Tony Bennett with Judy Garland, 1960's
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAwpocZYUJI - I Left My Heart In San Francisco - Tony Bennett, 1995
Happy Birthday this week to:
04 - The United States Coast Guard - 1790;
05 - Frank Friedland ('60) of VA;
06 - Susan Whitcomb Harlin ('72) of TX;
Kenny Branch ('62) of AR
Anne Davidson Matthis ('64) of NC;
08 - Virginia Deuell DeBerry ('46) AND Kathy Presgraves Whitt ('71) of VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Linda Lane Lane ('64) of VA - 07/29/08 - but hiding in my email and only found on 08/03/08:
I have been away from the computer for a while as I had my grandchildren visiting for a month. They left Monday and it is so quiet around here the cat has started talking again.
Thank you, Linda-Linda! Your note was doing an excellent job of hiding from me. Had I not had to restart my computer this morning, it would still be missing, and I'd be none the wiser!
From David Rosenwasser ('64) of MO - 08/01/08 - "RE: William Clark's 238th Birthday":
Oh, absolutely! In fact, I was thinking of you when I was creating that Newsletter! We'll be back with more on this theme for Meriwether Lewis' birthday on August 18!
Thanks so much, David -I do miss the St. Louis /St. Charles area! Y'all go see it when you can!
From Johnnie Bateman ('67 / '70) of VA - 08/01/08 - "Nauvoo pics":
I can't remember if I sent these to you or not. I have a friend in Keokuk (IA - just across the Mississippi River) who sent them to me.
I have been to Nauvoo (IL) (back in 98), and it is one beautiful place, especially the restored area.
|Saturday, October 7, 2006 - Nauvoo, IL|
Nauvoo Temple of The Church of
of Latter-day Saints
|Mansion House (Home of Joseph and Emma Smith)|
WOWZERONI!!! Thank you so much, Johnnie! This was a major surprise - especially in view of our next item!
As there were 51 gorgeous images, I'll need to do something major league cool, and it'll take me a bit of time, but I certainly appreciate them! I've been to Nauvoo several times, but the last was almost exactly seven years ago!
The name "Nauvoo" actually means "to be beautiful", and indeed it was - and is again!
From My Sister, Eleanor Buckley Nowitzky ('59) of NC - 08/03/08:
Look who I saw in Nauvoo on
HEY! That's my oldest son and his family!
Thanks, Eleanor!I knew you were going there; I just didn't realize that they were going until Thursday!
I'm glad you all enjoyed the Pageant!
|Friday, August 1, 2008 - Nauvoo, IL, 6:38 PM|
|Rachel, Mary, Andrew, Lewis, Elizabeth, and Becca Harty||Eleanor Nowitzky, Rachel, Mary, Andrew, Lewis, Elizabeth, and Becca Harty|
From Jay Styles ('68) of VA - 08/01/08 - "Hollywood Squares":
Thanks, Jay Sweetie!
From Fuzzy Turner ('63) of NC - 08/01/08 - "":
Thought all might be interested.
Thank you, Fuzzy! I ran this through snopes.com, hoping to find that surely it wasn't true.
Unfortunately, it was:Status: True
However, to his credit, the complainer, himself a veteran, write a very nice letter of apology for his sarcastic remarks, once he became aware of the facts - which you may read on the above link.
From Phil Hammond ('64) of UT - 08/01/08 - "Twin baby moose":
WOWZERS! They're so - um - CUTE! Thanks, Phil!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 08/02/08 - "Flying Over Snowcapped Mountains":
Move your cursor over the screen, and you will have the impression you are flying over the mountains.
MORE WOWZERS! What fun! Thanks, Joyce!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
Jerry Allen ('65) of VA -
update of 07/25/08 -
update of 07/28/08 -
"Jerry's HOME!!! He is ... feeling much better. He will still have to tackle
some health issues, but we are getting there!"
2.Julius Benton ('58) of VA - diagnosed years ago with Pick's Disease; update of 07/18/08 - SEE: 07/19/08
3. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP;update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal; update of 04/28/08 - SEE: 04/28/08; update of 06/23/08 - surgery on right eye - 07/01/08; surgery on left eye to follow several weeks later as financial goals are met
Connie Bloxom ThompsonD 21015
4. Betty Brockwell McClure ('58) of VA - broken hip - early this year; still recovering and in pain; update of 06/17/08 - SEE: 06/18/08
5.Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
6. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - still in pain, running a fever; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08; update of 05/05/08 - "finally getting better. Her hamstring stretching is painful, but making a big difference. She has years of physical therapy ahead of her, but is doing soo much better"; update of 05/13/08 - has had a setback; going to see the surgeon in Richmond on 05/15/08; update of 06/15/08 - SEE: 06/17/08
7. Dale Chestnut (Nakina HS, NC - '54) of VA suffered heart attack on 07/25/08, fell on sidewalk during attack, breaking his nose and cheekbone and losing a tooth; is in critical condition in Mary Immaculate ICU
8. Carol Cook Campbell ('62) of VA - update of 07/26/08 - heart catheter; at home now and doing fine
9. My Niece, Shari, of VA - hospitalized 07/19/08
10. Jimmy DeBerry ('64) of VA - stroke on 06/17/08; update of 06/25/08 - SEE: 06/26/08; update of 07/02/08 - SEE: 07/03/08; update of 07/26/08 - "went home July 10th and is doing GREAT; walking each night, having therapy a few times a week and progressing very well"
11.Jamey Douglas Bacon ('66) of VA - knee surgery with complications on 07/01/08 - update of 07/10/08 - SEE: 07/12/08; update of 07/20/08 - SEE: 07/21/08
12. My second granddaughter,Rachel Harty of IL - broke her ankle/leg in 3 places on 05/17/08; clean breaks, no surgery required, but located in a tricky place for a growing girl, so proper healing is essential; update of 05/30/08 - "healing nicely. They put her in a cast below the knee. She still can't put any weight on it for 2 more weeks. Then she will be in a walking cast for 3 weeks after that"; update of 06/14/08 - Her leg is healing much faster than the doctor had expected. She is in a waterproof walking cast now for 3 weeks, then this cast will come off and she will have physical therapy; update of 07/06/08: SEE: 07/07/08; update of 07/27/08 - "has completed her physical therapy, and is now totally healed!"; update of 07/29/08 - SEE ABOVE
13.Pat Floyd Pride ('62) of VA - update of 07/26/08 - hip surgery - at home now and doing fine
14. Bitsy Heath ('57) of VA - 07/02/08 - abdominal aneurysm requiring surgery; also having other issues with breathing and pulmonary output; SEE: 07/03/08
16. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"; update of 05/10/08: "continues to do well since the surgery for pancreatic cancer and will now begin the follow-up treatment to be decided upon following the consultation and evaluation at MD Anderson (Houston).
17. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!; update of 05/04/08 - "in about eight months she will indeed have to have the ablation process repeated."
18. Marsha Rice ('62) of VA - update of 07/26/08 - knee surgery - at home now and doing fine
19. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"; update of 05/22/08 - "still at home recuperating"; update of 06/09/08 - "still at home recovering. I am sure they would love receiving cards/notes from NNHS friends."
21. Jim Wilson ('58) of VA recovering from prostate surgery on 06/02/08
22. All of Us
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 -NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
2. Saturday, September 27, 2008 -EVERYONE:
Evelyn Fryer Fish's Birthday Party for All of Us
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008- NNHS CLASS OF 1963 - AND PERHAPS OTHERS:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 07/23/08
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
I Left My Heart in San Francisco
Music by George Cory
Lyrics by Douglass Cross,1954
(Tony Bennett, 1962)
The loveliness of Paris
Seems somehow sadly gay
The glory that was Rome
Is of another day
I've been terribly alone
And forgotten in Manhattan
I'm going home to my city by the bay.
I left my heart in San Francisco
High on a hill, it calls to me.
To be where little cable cars
Climb halfway to the stars!
The morning fog may chill the air
I don't care!
My love waits there in San Francisco
Above the blue and windy sea
When I come home to you, San Francisco,
Your golden sun will shine for me!
"I Left My Heart in San Francisco" midi courtesy of http://www.jadierose.com/midicollection.html - 08/03/08
"I Left My Heart in San Francisco" lyrics courtesy of http://www.romantic-lyrics.com/li94.shtml - 08/03/08
First Image of Tony Bennett courtesy of http://www.uticaamradio.org/gallery4.html - 08/03/08
Second Image of Tony Bennett courtesy of http://www.zaner.org/2006_05_01_archive.html - 08/03/08
Brown Star Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.bravenet.com - 08/12/04
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Coast Guard Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/SealsEmblems/USCG.htm - 10/03/07
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Animated Wildly Laughing Dog courtesy of Eva Ellis Madagan ('61) of FL -
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965