08/02/10 - NNHS
“Love is the expansion of
two natures in such fashion
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Today's Newsletter theme is being revisited from exactly three years ago today:
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSsiS-v6_6M - Theme From A Summer Place - Percy Faith
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SeDGvfR0HU&NR=1 - Theme From A Summer Place - Andy Williams, 1962
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 07/30/10 - "BIRTHDAY CRUISE":
BIRTHDAY CRUISE RESERVATION DEADLINE IS 20 SEPTEMBER.
I just reviewed my contract with the Spirit of Norfolk. I must give them the final attendee count and final payment no later than 23 September. That means that I must receive your reservation and check no later than 20 September.
However, keep in mind that I cannot guarantee you a seat, after the first 40 seats are reserved.
BOTTOM LINE: Send your reservation now, if you want to be assured of a seat.
http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964.html - Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk, VA - updated 07/30/10!
- updated 07/30/10!
Thank you, David!
From Dave Arnold ('65) of VA - 05/11/10 - "Class of 1965's 45-Year Reunion - Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES!":
Contact Dave Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org:
http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65-ATTENDING.html - updated 07/21/10!
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Roy Parrish ('61) of CA
Eddie Beasley ('64) of Panama
Sandra Tilles Snyder ('65)
Happy Birthday this week to:
04 - The United States Coast Guard - 1790 AND Colleen Luke Barton ('57) of England AND Buzzy Blanchard of LA (Kecoughtan HS - '68);
05 - Barbara Kemp Bostwick ('57) AND Frank Friedland ('60) of VA;
09 - Katherine Adams Barbrey ('57) AND Hunter Todd ('57) of TX!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Me ('65) of IL - 07/13/10 - "My Anniversary Gift to You (continued from Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday)":
I decided to actually work on the site itself and do some long overdue scanning. As a result, these pages are either entirely new or newly fleshed-out with images:
- brand new page!
Why, you may well wonder, did I concentrate solely on the Class of 1967?? That's because David Whitley ('67) of VA graciously loaned me his 1967 Anchor back in the Fall of 2006 and it's high time to return it to him!
Thanks again, Gorgeous!
NOTE: I had planned to finish several more sections, but this is taking even longer (and making me even nutzier!) than I had anticipated, so I'll be working on this for the next few days.
TODAY IN WWII:
|August 02, 1934 -
Paul von Hindenburg, German field marshal and 2nd
President of Germany (b. 02 Oct 1847) died.
Adolf Hitler became
August 02, 1939 - Albert Einstein and Leó Szilárd wrote a letter to Franklin D. Roosevelt, urging him to begin the Manhattan project to develop a nuclear weapon.
August 02, 1943
- Rebellion in the
death camp of
August 02, 1944 - Turkey ended all relations with the
Nazis. Turkey had stopped exporting chrome to Germany on April 20.
TODAY IN 1965:
|Monday, August 02, 1965 - Baseball player and coach Hisanobu Watanabe (渡辺 久信) was born in Kiryu, Gunma, Japan.|
From Wayne Agee ('58) of FL - 08/01/10 - "Old Barns":
This is nice - thanks, Wayne!
Chambers of VA - 07/01/09, 02/07/10, AND 07/31/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD"
AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA AND DRAMATIC WORKSHOPS STUDENTS:
Contact Dr. Chambers at email@example.com.
|DATES TO REMEMBER:|
August 5, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on
the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on
Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00
AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have
fiends in that year, go visit with them.
Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1970 was
going to hold its 40-Year Reunion, but due to limited response,
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 6, 7, and 8, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1960 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott Newport News at City Center. For detail, contact Karen Weinstein Witte at firstname.lastname@example.org - CLASS OF 1960
4. Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
5. Saturday, August 14, 2010 - The Class of 1966 will hold its first Planning Meeting for their 45-Year Reunion at 6:30 PM at Angelo's Restaurant, J. Clyde Morris Boulevard in Newport News - CLASS OF1966
6. Thursday, September 2, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have fiends in that year, go visit with them.
7. Saturday, October 2, 2010 - Evelyn's Birthday Party for Everyone - Canepa Cottage, Buckroe Beach - 2:00 PM. For details, contact Evelyn Fryer Fish ('58) of TX at email@example.com - SEE: http://nnhs65.com/10-02-10-EVELYNS-PARTY.html - OPEN TO EVERYBODY!
8. Thursday, October 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have fiends in that year, go visit with them.
9. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - "TYPHOON TAILGATE - STOKES' REVENGE 2" - from 10:00 AM and onwards at CNU Parking Lot N - SPONSORED BY THE CLASS OF 1966 AND THE SPD; OPEN TO ALL - http://www.nnhs65.com/reunion-page/10-09-10-Typhoon-Tailgate.pdf - http://nnhs65.com/frat-soro-SPD.html
10. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their 65th Birthdays at a Party at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview at Yorktown from 5:00 PM to 10:PM. For details, contact Susie Overton Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org - CLASS OF 1963
11. Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
12. Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion. For details, contact Dave Arnold at email@example.com - SEE: http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65.html - http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65-ATTENDING.html - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965
13. Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk - The NNHS Class of 1964 will hold an evening cruise on the Spirit of Norfolk to celebrate their 64th Birthdays. For details, contact Dave Spriggs at NNHS64@cox.net and SEE: http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964.html -NNHS-64-64-CRUISE-INVITATION.doc - http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964-RESERVATION-FORM.html - http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964-ATTENDING.html - CLASS OF 1964
14. Saturday, April 30, 2010 - The NNHS Class will have a Luncheon. Team Leaders are Mickey Marcella (firstname.lastname@example.org - 757-249-3800), Betty Hamby Neher (email@example.com - 757-898-5099), and Dr. Harry Simpson (firstname.lastname@example.org - 804-694-0346). - CLASS OF 1954
15. Saturday, July 9, 2011 (6:30 PM to 11:30 PM) - The Class of 1971 will hold its 40-Year at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, 950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News. For details, contact Richard Rawls at Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 07/17/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 08/04/09
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
Theme from A Summer Place
Words by Mack Discant, Music by Max Steiner, 1959(Percy Faith, 1960; The Lettermen, 1965)
“Theme from A Summer Place” midi courtesy ofhttp://lisawebworld1.tripod.com/midi.html - 07/21/07
“Theme from A Summer Place” lyrics courtesy ofhttp://www.geocities.com/lyricalmusings/lyrics/a_summerplace.htm - 07/25/07
clip art courtesy of
http://www.twosteptidewater.com/free_dance_clipart2.htm - 03/20/05
Blue Scroll Divider Line clip art courtesy of - well, I cannot seem to locate that information at the moment...
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp- 05/29/06
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Army Seal clip art
courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still missing...)
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Animated United States Coast Guard Flag clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of
Replaced courtesy of http://www.hamptonhigh1964.com - 02/17/09
Coast Guard Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/SealsEmblems/USCG.htm - 10/03/07
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965