08/01/10 - NNHS
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods;
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
"And now for something completely different."
From Domi O'Brien ('64) of NH - 07/31/10 - "Bless the Barley/Lughnasadh":
Bless the barley, bless the oats, bless both the wheat and rye; bless golden loaf, and brimming cask; without them we would die. Bless the hands that cut the grain, bless bakers, millers too; bless all those who make the loaf, to nourish me and you....
At the beginning of August comes the barley-harvest in Ireland. They are cutting oats in Wales and Scotland and Cornwall about the same time, and wheat in Brittany a week or two later, and rye in the Norse lands. Bread was indeed the staff of life for our ancestors in most of western Europe and elsewhere in the world, though the grain might vary-- teff, spelt, rice, quinoa, kasha, maize etc-- grain was the source of bread and of beer-- staples throughout most of the world. In Ireland the storm-god Lugh holds the funeral-assembly (Lughnasadh) for his dead foster-mother Tailtiu, at the time of the barley-harvest. For nine days people cut the barley, feast, and hold the funeral-games...traditionally the young people 18 to 27 who have not found a suitable marriage-partner locally travel to Teltown, to look over other eligibles...there are bonfires on the hills, and dances, and and what happens in Teltown DOESN'T stay in Teltown, but travels homeward in the shape of new betrothals (handfastings) and the promise of plenty.
A Greek friend, at this same time, celebrates new grapes and olives and olive oil. All cultures look to the harvest, and the blessings of the High Ones.
May we all reap the best of what we have sown. May our harvests-- first (August), second (September), third and final (October into the start of November), bring to fruition grain and fruit and vegetables and meat, relationships and careers affirmed; blessings offered, accepted, fully received.
Thank you, Domi, blessings to you and yours, too! Thank you also for the theme of the day (well, HALF of it anyway!)!
NEWS FLASH #1:
From My #6 Son, Dale Harty, (Hillsboro HS, IL / American School, IL - '02) of MA AND My Daughter-in-Law, Diana Lyons Harty (Portsmouth HS, NH / Eastlake HS, CA - '05) of MA - 07/31/10 - "It's a Girl!":
on Friday, July 30, 2010 at 2:31 PM, and weighed 8 lbs., 5 oz., and was
AWWW!!! Thanks, Chickadees! Kiss 'em both for me!
|Friday, July 30, 2010 - Milford, MA|
|Buckley, Dale, and Claire|
NEWS FLASH #2:
From Joe Mansfield (Stanton College Prep School, FL - 2002) AND Megan Fulmer Mansfield (Marshall HS, TX - 2002) of NC - 07/27/10 - "It's a Girl!":
on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 10:09 AM and weighed 8 lbs., 13 oz. and was
21" long - our smallest yet.
Her name is Katelyn Alexis.
AWWW!!! Thanks, Chickadees! Kiss 'em all for me!
|Friday, May 08, 2009 - Fort Irwin, CA||Tuesday, July 27, 2010|
|Joe and Megan, Jonathan and Jacob||Megan and Katelyn|
For those of y'all who "have joined us in progress," Joe and Megan are our sorta "extra" children. We encountered them along Life's Way when they were newlyweds and decided to keep them. Even Megan's mother refers to us as, "the other grandparents". This means we really have 16 grandchildren now - two in one week! WHOO-HOO!
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 07/30/10 - "BIRTHDAY CRUISE":
BIRTHDAY CRUISE RESERVATION DEADLINE IS 20 SEPTEMBER.
I just reviewed my contract with the Spirit of Norfolk. I must give them the final attendee count and final payment no later than 23 September. That means that I must receive your reservation and check no later than 20 September.
However, keep in mind that I cannot guarantee you a seat, after the first 40 seats are reserved.
BOTTOM LINE: Send your reservation now, if you want to be assured of a seat.
http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964.html - Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk, VA - updated 07/30/10!
- updated 07/30/10!
Thank you, David!
From Dave Arnold ('65) of VA - 05/11/10 - "Class of 1965's 45-Year Reunion - Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES!":
Contact Dave Arnold at email@example.com:
http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65-ATTENDING.html - updated 07/21/10!
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Bette Heath ('57) of VA
Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of IL
Betty Burton Gary ('65) of VA!
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Roy Parrish ('61) of CA AND Eddie Beasley ('64) of Panama AND the late Sandra Tilles Snyder ('65) (deceased 03/11/99)!
Happy Birthday this week to:
04 - The United States Coast Guard - 1790 AND Colleen Luke Barton ('57) of England AND Buzzy Blanchard of LA (Kecoughtan HS - '68);
05 - Barbara Kemp Bostwick ('57) AND Frank Friedland ('60) of VA;
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
TODAY IN WWII:
|August 01, 1936 - Adolf Hitler presided over the
Olympic games as they opened in Berlin.
August 01, 1938 - In Germany, Jewish doctors lost their insurance under the Nuremburg Laws.
August 01, 1944 - In Warsaw, Poland, the Warsaw Uprising against Nazi occupation began. The revolt continued until October 2 when Polish forces surrendered.
TODAY IN 1965:
|Sunday, August 01, 1965 - Stage and film director Sam Mendes was born in Reading, Berkshire, England.|
From Linda May Bond Crayton ('66) of VA - 07/31/10 - "obits":
First, let me congratulate you on all your super good news!
Grandson Andrew's (Harty - Collinsville HS, IL - '10 - of IL) career choice. God is better than Guns any day!
actually, Linda May, Latter-day Saint missionaries
serve for a period of two or two-and-a-half years for young men, or 18
months for young women, and then go on to college, military or whatever
other career choices they make. When Andrew returns, he's planning
college, ROTC and the Air Force at the moment.....
Thank you so very much, Linda May!
From Jane Chambers of VA - 07/31/10 - "DRAMATIC WORKSHOP STUDENTS--Were YOU one?":
FYI: Thought you might be
SHOULD YOUR NAME BE ON THIS ATTACHED LIST?
CNC'S Dramatic Workshop, sponsored by Frances Kitchin, existed for two academic years only (to my knowledge): 1964-65 & 1965-66. Possibly it continued into the 66-67 session (there was no yearbook). The 1968 Trident mentions no drama group at all. Once Frances and Bill Kitchin left CNC (in 67 or 68), there was in fact no student theater until the arrival of young English Instructor Ron Stewart, who revived the drama program beginning in the fall of 1971 (See "On Stage: The CNC Players," in Memories of Christopher Newport College: The First Decade, pages 136-141.)
This attached list is not a complete list. Please contact me if
1. YOUR NAME should be added,
2. You know the name of someone else that should be added, and/or
3. You can help me locate a person listed for whom I have no contact info.
Thanks for your help!
WOWZERS! Thanks, Jane!This is quite interesting - to me, anyway - as I know several of these students! I've added it your your section below for future reference.
Y'all take a look!
From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of IL - 07/31/10 - "Did I read it right ?":
Did I read that
Chambers of VA - 07/01/09, 02/07/10, AND 07/31/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD"
AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA AND DRAMATIC WORKSHOPS STUDENTS:
Contact Dr. Chambers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|DATES TO REMEMBER:|
August 5, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on
the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on
Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00
AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have
fiends in that year, go visit with them.
Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1970 was
going to hold its 40-Year Reunion, but due to limited response,
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 6, 7, and 8, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1960 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott Newport News at City Center. For detail, contact Karen Weinstein Witte at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1960
4. Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
5. Saturday, August 14, 2010 - The Class of 1966 will hold its first Planning Meeting for their 45-Year Reunion at 6:30 PM at Angelo's Restaurant, J. Clyde Morris Boulevard in Newport News - CLASS OF1966
6. Thursday, September 2, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have fiends in that year, go visit with them.
7. Saturday, October 2, 2010 - Evelyn's Birthday Party for Everyone - Canepa Cottage, Buckroe Beach - 2:00 PM. For details, contact Evelyn Fryer Fish ('58) of TX at firstname.lastname@example.org - SEE: http://nnhs65.com/10-02-10-EVELYNS-PARTY.html - OPEN TO EVERYBODY!
8. Thursday, October 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have fiends in that year, go visit with them.
9. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - "TYPHOON TAILGATE - STOKES' REVENGE 2" - from 10:00 AM and onwards at CNU Parking Lot N - SPONSORED BY THE CLASS OF 1966 AND THE SPD; OPEN TO ALL - http://www.nnhs65.com/reunion-page/10-09-10-Typhoon-Tailgate.pdf - http://nnhs65.com/frat-soro-SPD.html
10. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their 65th Birthdays at a Party at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview at Yorktown from 5:00 PM to 10:PM. For details, contact Susie Overton Jones at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1963
11. Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
12. Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion. For details, contact Dave Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org - SEE: http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65.html - http://nnhs65.com/REUNION-2010-65-ATTENDING.html - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965
13. Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00 to 11:00 PM, Norfolk - The NNHS Class of 1964 will hold an evening cruise on the Spirit of Norfolk to celebrate their 64th Birthdays. For details, contact Dave Spriggs at NNHS64@cox.net and SEE: http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964.html -NNHS-64-64-CRUISE-INVITATION.doc - http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964-RESERVATION-FORM.html - http://nnhs65.com/64-BIRTHDAY-1964-ATTENDING.html - CLASS OF 1964
14. Saturday, April 30, 2010 - The NNHS Class will have a Luncheon. Team Leaders are Mickey Marcella (email@example.com - 757-249-3800), Betty Hamby Neher (firstname.lastname@example.org - 757-898-5099), and Dr. Harry Simpson (email@example.com - 804-694-0346). - CLASS OF 1954
15. Saturday, July 9, 2011 (6:30 PM to 11:30 PM) - The Class of 1971 will hold its 40-Year at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, 950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News. For details, contact Richard Rawls at Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 07/17/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 08/04/09
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
"Bread For My Baby-O" midi (extracted by My #5 Son, Nathaniel Harty
of IL) courtesy of
http://www.kididdles.com/lyrics/b089.html - 07/31/10
Image of Whole Wheat Bread courtesy of http://onlinepastrychef.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/its-all-come-down-to-this-fresh-bread/ - 07/31/10
Kitchen Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/tx5280/lines4.html - 01/01/10
Hillsboro High School's Topper (Band Version) clip art courtesy of
American School Logo courtesy of http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/grads.asp - 09/05/06
Eastlake High School Logo courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/ehslearningcenter/ - 10/17/07
Animated Big Hugs Smiley clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Animated Kissing Smiley clip art
courtesy of my friend, Judy Bundy Bowermaster (Litchfield HS, IL - '59), of IL - 09/19/08
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Animated United States Coast Guard Flag clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of
Replaced courtesy of http://www.hamptonhigh1964.com - 02/17/09
Collinsville High School (IL) Logo courtesy of http://www.kahoks.org/chs/ - 09/22/07
School's Anchor clip art courtesy of
(Ferguson HS - '72)
of NC - 12/14/05
Crying Baby clip art
http://www.barbspics.com/baby/babypage06index.html - 09/28/05 (resaved
Animated Laughing Jerry courtesy of Cookie Phillips Tyndall ('64) of VA - 06/14/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965