06/09/13 - NNHS Newsletter -
Cole Porter's 122nd Birthday
“My sole inspiration is a telephone call from a director.”
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
We try to repeat today's birthday celebration here every year because I am one of Cole Porter's biggest fans:
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR4Frv6CXgU&NR=1&feature=fvwp - Cole Porter Tribute
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVlDs5DYEUI - Cole Porter Medley - Judy Garland, 1965 Academy Awards - introduced by Gene Kelly
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Sydney Dearing ('56) of TN AND the late Eileen Casey Sparkman (Ferguson HS - '68) (deceased 08/16/11)!
Happy Birthday this week to:
12 - Cynthia Clontz Mears ('57);
14 - The United States Army - 1775 AND Rosalee Will Jecmenek ('65) of TX AND Cindy _____ Konstant of VA (Wife of George Konstant - '65 of VA) AND Linda McKenna Sivilich of PA ANDMy Grandson, Buckley Harty of MA;
16 - Jane Hoffman ('57) AND Kay Walker Gray ('57) of VA AND Nancy Dearing Berry ('62) of TX!
Many Happy Returns to You All!
THIS DAY IN WWII:
June 09, 1940 - Norway surrendered to the Nazis.
June 09, 1944 - 99 civilians were hung from lampposts and balconies
by German troops in
in reprisal for
June 09, 1944 - The Soviet Union invaded East Karelia and the previously Finnish part of Karelia, occupied by Finland since 1941. Russia was fighting to gain back territory that had been ceded to it under the terms of the Treaty of Moscow of 1940.
June 09, 1995 - Japan's parliament passed a controversial resolution designed to atone for the country's role in World War II.
THIS DAY IN 1963:
|Sunday, June 09, 2013 - Saxophonist, novelist, and activist (The
Gilad Atzmon (גלעד עצמון)
was born in
Sunday, June 09, 2013 -
The Class of 1963 was graduated from Newport News
From Joe Madagan ('57) of FL - 06/08/13 - "A Little Good News.":
Your Newsletter today reminded me of the song by Anne Murray, "A Little Good News" when you published the good news about Hilton Village granting a permit for bricking a driveway there. Some politicians use common sense.
I wish some composer would update the lyrics of this song and let Anne Murray sing the revised version.
Joe Madagan ('57) of FL
Thanks! That sounds like a great plan, Adonis!
From My #2 Son, Brent Harty (Hillsboro HS, IL - '90) of TX (currently on a joint military operation in NC) - 06/08/13 - "Temple pics":
Here are those pics of us at the Raleigh NC Temple
Thanks so much, Brent! I would have posted more of them, but all the ones with me in them inexplicably seemed to make me look short, fat, and old.
There must be something seriously wrong with your phone/camera/GPS/computer/gizmo.....
Saturday, June 8, 2013
Raleigh NC LDS Temple
|Paul and Brent Harty|
From Bill Hobbs ('66) of Northern VA - 06/08/13 - "New Book":
I thought you'd like to know that the book, "Understanding Women" is now out in paperback.
Thanks, Billy - good to know!
From Judy Phillips Allen ('66) of VA AND From Mark Friedman ('65) of VA - 06/08/13 - "Forget Newton and Galileo...Here are the REAL LAWS":
BELIEVE THESE LAWS AT FIRST, BUT HAVE FOUND THEM TO BE TRUE FROM ACTUAL
1. Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.
2. Law of Gravity - Any tool, nut, bolt, screw, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner.
3. Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.
4. Law of Random Numbers - If you dial a wrong number, you never get a busy signal and someone always answers.
5. Supermarket Law - As soon as you get in the smallest line, the cashier will have to call for help.
6. Variation Law - If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now.
7. Law of the Bath - When the body is fully immersed in water, the telephone rings.
8. Law of Close Encounters - The probability of meeting someone you know increases dramatically when you are with someone you don't want to be seen with.
9. Law of the Result - When you try to prove to someone that a machine won't work, it will.
10. Law of Biomechanics -The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.
11. Law of the Theater & Hockey Arena - At any event, the people whose seats are furthest from the aisle, always arrive last. They are the ones who will leave their seats several times to go for food, beer, or the toilet and who leave early before the end of the performance or the game is over. The folks in the aisle seats come early, never move once, have long gangly legs or big bellies and stay to the bitter end of the performance. The aisle people also are very surly folk.
12. The Coffee Law - As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
13. Murphy's Law of Lockers - If there are only 2 people in a locker room, they will have adjacent lockers.
14. Law of Physical Surfaces -The chances of an open-faced jam sandwich landing face down on a floor, are directly correlated to the newness and cost of the carpet or rug.
15. Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
16. Brown's Law of Physical Appearance - If the clothes fit, they're ugly.
17. Oliver's Law of Public Speaking - A closed mouth gathers no feet.
18. Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.
19. Doctors' Law - If you don't feel well, make an appointment to go to the doctor, by the time you get there you'll feel better... But don't make an appointment, and you'll stay sick. This has been proven over and over with taking children to the pediatrician.
|Ain't it da truth?!? Thanks, Sweetie-Pies!|
From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of NC - 06/08/13 - "Chemo Day":
Some will say you will pray because it is a nice thing to say or it is politically correct. Then there are those of you who will get down on your knees and really do it. I'm sending this to some who will.
This prayer means so much, so please say the prayer for everyone.....
Cancer is a strange cell.
You can go along for years in remission And then one day it pops its head up again. If you ever have it you will never be free of it. If you never had it, don't feel too cozy, you can get it. Pray for the day there will be a permanent cure.
A SMALL REQUEST.
A small request, just one line.
BONUS NIGHT AND DAY CROCHET PATTERN:
|http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/night-day-wrap and http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/WR1854.pdf - Ann Regis' Night & Day Wrap|
BONUS COLE PORTER RECIPE:
|http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Cole-Porter-Slaw-Allrecipes - Cole Porter Slaw|
From www.ajokeaday.com - 06/08/13:
was fishing along the Bayou for catfish one day when he spotted a
water moccasin slithering across the water with a toad in its mouth.
Being a longtime fisherman, he knew the best bait for large catfish
was toads. In a flash, Bubba grabbed the snake from behind and
carefully removed the toad from its mouth and puts the toad in his
side bag. Fearing the angry snake would bite him, Bubba grabbed his
bottle of his daddy's moonshine from his pocket and carefully poured
two drops into the snake's mouth. The snake's eyes glazed over and
quickly went limp. Bubba carefully placed the snake back in the
A few hours later, Bubba was just about to head back home, when he felt something tapping on his leg. He looked down and was amazed to see the same water moccasin with two frogs in its mouth.
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets
at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a
Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500
Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few
years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and
atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for
2. Thursday, July 4, 2013 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have friends in that year, go visit with them.
3. Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
4. Friday and Saturday, October 4 and 5, 2013 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will hold their 50-Year Reunion at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Hampton on the Water. Friday night will also be open to the Classes of 1962 and 1964. SEE: The website which has been set up for their class at www.nnhs1963.com; CONTACT: Frank Gibson, firstname.lastname@example.org, Joyce Williams Nettles, email@example.com, or Susie Overton Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org; FORM: Registration-Classes-of-1962-and-1964-B.docx
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 06/03/13
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 03/13/11
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
7020 Lure Court
Fayetteville, NC 28311-9309
2.Go to www.PayPal.com, log in, select "Send Money (Services) to email@example.com; or
Just mail it directly to my home (address available upon request).
You're the Top, What is This Thing Called Love, Let's
Do It, I Get a Kick Out of You,
My Heart Belongs to Daddy, Begin the Beguine, Night and Day
Music and Lyrics byCole Porter
Why pick one, when there are so many?
Howsabout a medley? Runs for 9m46s.
Cole Porter selection includes, You're the Top, What is This Thing Called Love, Let's Do It,
I Get a Kick Out of You, My Heart Belongs to Daddy, Begin the Beguine, Night and Day.
Lyrics: Forget 'em. Too many songs. Everybody knows the words, anyway, right?
Well, they certainly should!!!Cole Porter Medley for Piano midi courtesy
Both Images of Cole Porter courtesy ofhttp://www.geocities.com/porterguide/ - 06/08/06
Brown Star Divider Line clip art courtesy ofhttp://www.bravenet.com - 08/12/04
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy ofhttp://www.cyberteddy.freeservers.com/milgraphics.htm - 03/24/03
Ferguson High School's
Anchor clip art courtesy of
(FHS - '72) of NC - 12/14/05
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Hillsboro High School's Topper (Band Version) clip art courtesy of
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Animated "Happy Little Rabbits We Are" clip art courtesy of http://users.bigpond.net.au/jellery/index.htm - 04/25/09
Laughing Kitty courtesy of Tom Flax ('64) of VA - 06/03/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2013
Return to NNHS Class of 1965