06/09/09 - NNHS Newsletter -
Cole Porter's 118th Birthday
“My sole inspiration is a telephone call from a director.”
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Today's birthday celebration repeats here every year because I am one of Cole Porter's biggest fans:
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUfkFkdQ1M - Cole Porter Documentary Film Footage
1. Debra Patrick Corey ('69) of VA - "mailing list":
Would you please add me to your mailing list? I was with the class of 1969. My maiden name was Debra Patrick; my married name is Debra Corey, My e-mail address is ________________.
Certainly, Debra! Welcome aboard!
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Sydney Dearing ('56) of TN AND Eileen Casey Sparkman (Ferguson HS - '68) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
12 - Cynthia Clontz Mears ('57) ANDMy #3 Son, Randolph Harty (Hillsboro HS, IL - '92) of IL;
14 - The United States Army - 1775 ANDRosalee Wills Jecmenek ('65) of TX AND Cindy _____ Konstant of VA (wife of George Konstant - '65 - of VA) AND Linda McKenna Sivilich ('66) of PA AND My Youngest Grandson, Buckley Harty of MA;
16 - Jane Hoffman ('57) AND Kay Walker Gray ('57) AND Nancy Dearing Berry ('62) of TX!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Cookie Phillips Tyndall ('64) of VA - 06/07/09:
Carol, this website offers so much to all of us TYPHOONS. What is amazing is how enlightening it can be.
I worked with Dave Biggs ('62 - of VA) for many years at the Veterans Hospital. He was the Chief of Human Resources and I was the Chief Accountant. Therefore, we had much contact in our dealings with hiring, personnel matters and of course the biggee, funds. However, in all that interaction, I never knew he was a TYPHOON. How could that be. AMAZING. Dave is an outstanding person and soooo worthy to be a TYPHOON. HA.
WOWZERS! Thanks, Cookie! I'm astonished y'all didn't remember one another from high school!
I added your remarks to the Veterans Hospital Page:
From Gail Kiger Bonsey (Ferguson HS - '73) of OR - 06/08/09 - "email update":
Please update my email to: G.Bonsey@comcast.net
Well, Gail, it took me a while to realize I had changed my records without switching those on the site - DUH! Sorry - I've corrected it now:
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 06/05/09 - "So many people to thank!!!":
I just want to thank all of you for your educational e-mails over the past year. I am totally screwed up now and have little chance of recovery.
I no longer open a public bathroom doorwithout using a paper towel or have them put lemon slices in my ice water without worrying about the bacteria on the lemon peel.
I can't sit down on the hotel bedspreadbecause I can only imagine what has happened on it since it was last washed.
Eating a little snack sends me on a guilt tripbecause I can only imagine how many gallons of trans fats I have consumed over the years.
I can't touch any woman's pursefor fear she has placed it on the floor of a public bathroom.
I MUST SEND MY SPECIAL THANKS to whoever sent me the one about poop in the glue on envelopes because I now have to use a wet sponge with every envelope that needs sealing.
ALSO,now I have to scrub the top of every can I open for the same reason.
I no longer have any savingsbecause I gave it to a sick girl (Penny Brown) who is about to die in the hospital for the 1,387,258th time.
I no longer eat KFCbecause their chickens are actually horrible mutant freaks with no eyes or feathers.
I no longer use cancer-causing deodorantseven though I smell like a water buffalo on a hot day.
I no longer can buy gasolinewithout taking someone along to watch the car so a serial killer won't crawl in my back seat when I'm pumping gas.
I no longer drink Pepsi or Dr. Pepperas the people who make these products are atheists who refuse to put 'Under God' on their cans.
AND THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW I can't boil a cup of water in the microwave anymore because it will blow up in my face... disfiguring me for life.
AND THANKS TO YOUR GREAT ADVICE I
can't ever pick up $5.00 dropped in the parking lot because it probably was
placed there by a sex molester waiting underneath my car to grab my leg.
I can no longer drive my car
I can't do any gardeningbecause I'm afraid I'll get bitten by the brown recluse and my hand will fall off.
If you don't send this e-mail to at least 144,000 people in the next 70 minutes, a large dove with diarrhea will land on your head at 5:00 p.m. tomorrow afternoon and the fleas from 12 camels will infest your back, causing you to grow a hairy hump. I know this will occur because it actually happened to a friend of my next door neighbor's ex-mother-in-law's second husband's cousin's beautician .....
Oh, by the
A German scientist from Argentina, after a lengthy study, has discovered that people with insufficient brain activity read their e-mail with their hand on the mouse.
Don't bother taking it off now, it's too late.
WILD GIGGLES!!! Thanks, Shari!
From http://www.selfgrowthtest.com - 06/08/09 - "Happiness":
Your Happiness: 5 Simple Ways It Makes Your Life Work
By Warren Wojnowski
Do you move through your life feeling
frustrated and stressed, finding too many things that just aren't working? Do
you find yourself wishing you could find some way to begin to make your life
work better? If that describes you and how you feel, then read on because you
are about to learn a simple adjustment you can make in your life to help things
immediately begin to work better and feel better.
Let's follow up with one more question. When was the last time you actually, deliberately stopped and decided it was time to make your happiness a priority for yourself?
If you're like most people, it has been a very long time because for the most part, you are placing all of your time, energy, and focus on all of the things you feel you have to do. Doing what makes you happy likely feels like some far-off dream because all you see in front of you are things that make you feel unhappy, tired, and stressed.
No doubt you have heard the phrase "change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change."
Well... here's a novel suggestion. If you'd like to make your life work better, start focusing on your happiness instead of the absence of it.
Now let me guess... this sounds too simplistic to you, doesn't it? You're probably wondering how focusing on your happiness is going to help fix things so they work better, right?
Yet the truth is, that's exactly the fix that can have the most immediate impact on your life. Consider the following five ways in which by you focusing your thought and attention on what makes you happy -- and making a point of looking for and acknowledging those things each day -- you will begin to notice things working better in your life.
1. You'll be more attractive to others. As you place your focus and attention on what's right and what's working in your life, you immediately start to feel a little bit better. Because you feel better, you begin to behave and carry yourself differently. And that shift in how you carry yourself makes you much more attractive to others, which means you're going to start receiving more invitations, more opportunities, and more things that are working well for you.
2. Your relationships will work better. Because you are carrying yourself differently, you begin to come across as friendlier, and you'll find that you're better able to listen because you're not so preoccupied with what isn't working. That's going to result in healthier, deeper, more successful relationships with your family, you co-workers, and your friends.
3. Your job or business performance will improve. Your shift in focus carries benefits over to your overall work performance. You will find yourself thinking more clearly, more alert, and making better decisions.
4. Your health will improve. Because you are feeling happier as you place your attention on what is working, a whole set of physiological changes start to occur. Your blood pressure lowers. Your blood flow improves. Your immune system starts working better. These all have a positive impact on the state of your health.
5. You will start to have more flow. By law of attraction, you attract more of what you focus upon. Since you have repositioned your focus and attention on your happiness rather than your unhappiness, guess what happens? You get more of the things that are working better. And now you've got a positive spiral that you've started that is going to deliver more flow and positive momentum into your life going forward. And so begins a positive cycle of being in flow where things start to come more easily and frequently.
Would you like more information about the role your happiness plays in making your life work better?
I've co-written an entire program that reveals how easily you can begin to find true happiness and make your life start working better, beginning today.
Go here to get your free introductory eCourse, Living A Happier Life: http://newsletters.selfgrowth.com/t/5836713/26408851/379/0/
About the Author:
Warren Wojnowski is an avid student of personal growth and self-improvement. He is a respected writer, teacher, and Intrinsic Coach® who is very willing to share what he's learned (or still learning), what's working, and what isn't. Warren says, "If you have an aspect of your life in which you feel stuck, whether in your life or your business, I can help you get back on track and start living the life you want."
Check out the Experts page for Warren Wojnowski, the Official SelfGrowth.com Guide to Happiness: http://newsletters.selfgrowth.com/t/5836713/26408851/380/0/
From Glenn Dye ('60) of TX - 06/08/09 - "No One Believes Old People":
I'M RECYCLING THIS ONE BUT IT'S WORTH IT.....
On their way back home, a bag of money fell out of an armored car, practically landing at their feet. Sally quickly picked it up, but not sure what to do with it, they took it home. There, she counted the money. Fifty-thousand dollars.
Andy said, "We’ve got to give it back."
Sally said, "Finders keepers."
She put the money back in the bag and hid it in their attic.
The next day, two FBI men were canvassing the neighborhood looking for the money, and knocked on the door. They asked, "Did either of you find a bag that fell out of an armored car yesterday?"
Sally said, "No."
Andy said, "She’s lying. She hid it up in the attic."
Sally said, "Don’t believe him, he’s getting senile."
The agents turned to Andy and began to question him. One said, "Tell us the story from the beginning."
Andy said, "Well, when Sally and I were walking home from school yesterday . . . "
The FBI guy turns to his partner and says, "We’re outta here."
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Saturday and Sunday, June 13 and 14, 2009 - The Class of 1961 will hold a Mini-Reunion:Social get together Saturday night, June 13, 6:00 PM until ? at the David home on Parkway Drive; Breakfast Sunday, June 14, 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM at the Saunders home in Isle of Wight. For details, contact Buddy David: Phone (757) 595-4500 or Fax (757) 595-6723 - CLASS OF 1961
2.Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 4, 5 and 6 (Labor Day Weekend), 2009 - The Class of 1969 will hold its 40-Year Reunion at the Point Plaza Hotel, Newport News, VA. For details, see: http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion2009-69.html and contact Jean Baker Howell at firstname.lastname@example.org - OPEN TO ALL NNHS ALUMNI
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 18, 19, and 20, 2009 - The Warwick High School Class of 1959 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott Newport News at City Center, Newport News, VA. For details, contact WHSREUNION1959@aol.com.
4.Friday and Saturday, October 9 and 10, 2009 - The Class of 1964 will hold its 45-Year Reunion at the Newport News Marriott at City Center, 740 Town Center Drive, Newport News, VA 23606: For details, see: http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion2009-64.html - CLASS OF 1964
5. Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1970 will hold its 40-Year Reunion. Friday night they will all meet at RJ's; Saturday night will be at the Kiln Creek Golf & Country Club. For details, contact Carol Comer Cutler at email@example.com.- CLASS OF 1970
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 06/05/09
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 01/09/09
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
You're the Top, What is This Thing Called Love, Let's
Do It, I Get a Kick Out of You,
My Heart Belongs to Daddy, Begin the Beguine, Night and Day
Why pick one, when there are so many?
Howsabout a medley? Runs for 9m46s.
Cole Porter selection includes, You're the Top, What is This Thing Called Love, Let's Do It,
I Get a Kick Out of You, My Heart Belongs to Daddy, Begin the Beguine, Night and Day.
Lyrics: Forget 'em. Too many songs. Everybody knows the words, anyway, right?
Well, they certainly should!!!
Cole Porter Medley for Piano midi
Both Images of Cole Porter courtesy ofhttp://www.geocities.com/porterguide/ - 06/08/06
Brown Star Divider Line clip art courtesy ofhttp://www.bravenet.com - 08/12/04
Animated "NEW" clip art courtesy of http://gifsnow.com/ - 03/07/06
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Marine Corps Seal clip art courtesy of the late Herbert Hice of MI- one of my Famous Marines who served in the South Pacific during WWII.
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy ofhttp://www.cyberteddy.freeservers.com/milgraphics.htm - 03/24/03
Ferguson High School's
Anchor clip art courtesy of
(FHS - '72) of NC - 12/14/05
Hillsboro High School's Topper (Band Version) clip art courtesy ofhttp://www.hillsboroschools.net/schools/hhs/activities/music2/Band/bio.html - 06/07/08
Animated Laughing Jerry courtesy
of Cookie Phillips Tyndall ('64) of VA - 06/14/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2009
Return to NNHS Class of 1965