06/09/08 - NNHS Newsletter
"My sole inspiration is a telephone call from a director."
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Today's birthday celebration tends to repeat each year because I'm one of Cole Porter's biggest fans:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/06-09-07-NNHS-Cole-Porters-116th-Birthday.htmlBONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUfkFkdQ1M - Cole Porter Documentary Film Footage BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMRY-WoZvUs - Cole Porter - SURPRISE - GIGGLES!!! BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcMxlpOJ_6I - So in Love - Clip from De-Lovely (2004) ( Love and Life of Cole Porter )
Shavuot begins tonight at sundown.
Isn't it fun to be back in school?!?
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Sydney Dearing ('56) of TN!
Happy Birthday this week to:
12 - Cynthia Clontz Mears ('57) ANDMy #3 Son, Randolph Harty (Hillsboro HS, IL - '92) of IL;
14 - The United States Army - 1775 ANDRosalee Wills Jecmenek ('65) of TX AND Cindy Konstant of VA (wife of George Konstant - '65 - of VA) AND Linda McKenna Sivilich ('66) of PA;
16 - Jane Hoffman ('57) AND Kay Walker Gray ('57) AND Nancy Dearing Berry ('62) of TX!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA - 06/09/08 - "NNHS 1958 Classmate Jim Wilson recovering from surgery":
Oh, we're very sorry to hear this news, Joe! We've added Jim's name to our prayer list below, and wish him a speedy recovery!
From Jamey Douglas Bacon ('66) of VA - 06/08/08 - "yearbook":
Do you know where I can get a 1966 yearbook? I never got mine.
YOWZERONI - how sad! I dunno, Jamey, but perhaps someone else has a spare.
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA to Wayne Stokes ('65) of VA - 06/06/08 - "RE: Magic Gopher":
C'mon, Wayne, this one is easy.
Regardless of the two numbers you select, the result of the process will always produce a number which is a multiple of "9". Now, take a look at the symbol array. "9" and all of its multiples have the identical symbol. The gopher can never get it wrong.
Uh-huh, just as I said - "IT'S MAGIC!" I already KNEW you were magic!
Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder if they didn't just omit those mathematical cells from my brain altogether when they sent me here to earth.....
Thank you, Captain!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 06/07/08 - "Answer to the magic gopher.":
I can't take credit for the answer to "How Does He Do That" but I do have the answer, courtesy of my 15 year old grand-daughter, Sunni.
All our grandchildren are far more computer savvy than we are! Of course, they have had them all their lives. Consequently they know where to go to find the answers to most everything. In this case it was, WikiAnswers. I wish computers had been commonplace when we were in school. Kinda sad though, it took away the possibility of MAGIC!! Oh well. another illusion shot down!! Have a great day!!
Thank you, Joyce. My personal opinion is that anyone who can deal with math over an elementary level IS MAGIC! WILD SAD GIGGLES!!!
From Edna Whitcomb Harrison ('65) of VA - 06/07/08:
Carol,The answer to Wayne Stokes' ('65 - of VA) http://www.learnenglish.org.uk
Oh, "do the required math"! Oh, yes, I see, well, that would be the secret! Hmmm. I wonder if I once did have those brain cells and they just disappeared.......
From F.A. Saunders (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - 06/06/08 - "The Biblical Equivalency to the 911 Number":
Emergency Telephone Numbers
These are more effective than 911
You are sad, phone John 14
You have sinned, phone Psalm 51
You are facing danger, phone Psalm 91
People have failed you, phone Psalm 27
It feels as though God is far from you, phone Psalm 139
Your faith needs stimulation, phone Hebrews 11
You are alone and scared, phone Psalm 23
You are worried, phone Matthew 8:19-34
You are hurt and critical, phone 1 Corinthians 13
You wonder about Christianity, phone 2 Corinthians 5:15-18
You feel like an outcast, phone Romans 8:31-39
You are seeking peace, phone Matthew 11:25-30
It feels as if the world is bigger than God, phone Psalm 90
You need Christ like insurance, phone Romans 8:1-30
You are leaving home for a trip, phone Psalm 121
You are praying for yourself, phone Psalm 87
You require courage for a task, phone Joshua 1
Inflations and investments are hogging your thoughts, phone Mark 10:17-31
You are depressive, phone Psalm 27
Your bank account is empty, phone Psalm 37
You lose faith in mankind, phone 1 Corinthians 13
It looks like people are unfriendly, phone John 15
You are losing hope, phone Psalm 126
You feel the world is small compared to you, phone Psalm 19
You want to carry fruit, phone John 15
Paul's secret for happiness, phone Colossians 3:12-17
With big opportunity/ discovery, phone Isaiah 55
To get along with other people, phone Romans 12
For dealing with fear, call Psalm 47
For security, call Psalm 121:3
For assurance, call Mark 8:35
For reassurance, call Psalm 145:18
ALL THESE NUMBERS MAY BE PHONED DIRECTLY.
NO OPERATOR ASSISTANCE IS NECESSARY.
ALL LINES TO HEAVEN ARE AVAILABLE 24 HOURS A DAY.
FEED YOUR FAITH, AND DOUBT WILL STARVE TO DEATH
From Me ('65) of NC - 06/07/08 - "Updates"
You may have noticed a change right at the top of this Newsletter. You may now donate to the Child Health Site and the Hunger Site each day with a simple click, just as you can for Funding Free Mammograms. I spent waaaay too much time adding these features, which steadfastly refused to cooperate, but I thought it important. The look is almost just what I wanted now..... Using the Daily Press Archives, I found the account of Miss Gildersleeve's death and her obituary:
From Eva Ellis Madagan ('61) of FL - 06/07/08 - "Hello":
"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...
Thanks so much, Eva!
From Catherine Slusser Hudson ('64) of VA - 06/08/08 - " Claude Hale":
Dear Carol:Just wanted to thank you for posting the Obituary for my Cousin (Claude Hale) I don't know if his family is aware of your web site, but it is a nice thing that you do keeping up with all the former members of NNHS when they pass and keeping all of us informed. Claude's mother Violet Hale was my father's sister. Dad now lives in Richmond and is 91 and doesn't get around as much as he used to. I will let him know that you posted the Obit.
Thanks again for all the nice things that you do.
Catherine Slusser HudsonOh, wow! I of course had no way of knowing all that, Cathy, so thank you for telling me. Please accept my sincerest condolences on the passing of your loved one. I've added your comment to that Memorial Newsletter:
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancer last week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"; update of 04/14/08: "now dealing with a blood clot in his pic line; receiving daily injections in the abdomen and taking antibiotics and blood thinners; feels pretty good in spite of everything and his ATTITUDE is great---as usual"; update of update of 04/24/08: "no longer taking daily abdominal injections for blood clot that developed a few weeks ago; everything is looking pretty good. The PET scan will be in the next few weeks. We are expecting good results." update of 05/05/08 - "scheduled for two more chemo visits; will have the first chemo on Thursday, May 8th followed up by an injection on Friday to boost his immune system"; update of 05/08/08 - "did pretty well with the chemo today in spite of the risky business with the procedure without the pic line that was removed due to a clot"; update of 05/28/08: has chemo again on 05/29/08
2.Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal; update of 04/28/08 - SEE ABOVE
Connie Bloxom ThompsonD 21015
3. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
4. My Niece Shari of VA - 05/26/08 - dangerous abscess in mouth; update of 06/06/08 - back right upper tooth has to be cut out on 06/09/08, as it dangerously impacted
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups..... ; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08
6. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - still in pain, running a fever; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08; update of 05/05/08 - "finally getting better. Her hamstring stretching is painful, but making a big difference. She has years of physical therapy ahead of her, but is doing soo much better"; update of 05/13/08 - has had a setback; going to see the surgeon in Richmond on 05/15/08.
7. My second granddaughter, Rachel Harty of IL - broke her ankle/leg in 3 places on 05/17/08; clean breaks, no surgery required, but located in a tricky place for a growing girl, so proper healing is essential; update of 05/30/08 - "healing nicely. They put her in a cast below the knee. She still can't put any weight on it for 2 more weeks. Then she will be in a walking cast for 3 weeks after that."
9. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"; update of 05/10/08: "continues to do well since the surgery for pancreatic cancer and will now begin the follow-up treatment to be decided upon following the consultation and evaluation at MD Anderson (Houston)."
10.John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
11. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!; update of 05/04/08 - "in about eight months she will indeed have to have the ablation process repeated. "
12. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"; update of 05/22/08 - "still at home recuperating"
13. Jenny Willett Wilson (daughter of the late Edie Hallett Willett - '63) of VA - 05/05/08 - "underwent a double mastectomy in 2007, has just completed vigorous chemo and is now undergoing radiation treatments every day for seven weeks"
14. Jim Wilson ('58) of VA recovering from prostate surgery on 06/02/08
15. All of Us
2. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008- NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
As I published no regular edition of the Newsletter yesterday, we have another backlog of entries, so remember, there's so much more to come - soon - REALLY-REALLY!
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
You're the Top, What is This Thing Called Love, Let's
Do It, I Get a Kick Out of You,
My Heart Belongs to Daddy, Begin the Beguine, Night and Day
Why pick one, when there are so many?
Howsabout a medley? Runs for 9m46s.
Cole Porter selection includes, You're the Top, What is This Thing Called Love, Let's Do It,
I Get a Kick Out of You, My Heart Belongs to Daddy, Begin the Beguine, Night and Day.
Lyrics: Forget 'em. Too many songs. Everybody knows the words, anyway, right?
Well, they certainly should!!!
Cole Porter Medley for Piano midi
Both Images of Cole Porter courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/porterguide/ - 06/08/06
Brown Star Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.bravenet.com - 08/12/04
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South Pacific
Thanks again, Herbie!
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Hillsboro High School's Topper
(Band Version) clip art courtesy of
Animated Silly Bear (designed by AF Artist - Ryan Hagen) courtesy of http://www.animationfactory.com - 10/04/05
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965