06/03/08 - NNHS Newsletter
“I worked night and day for twelve years to prevent the war, but I could
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Did you remember the significance of today's date? Of course you did! We celebrate it each year that we're able:
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx6dxrhqPZY - Ashokan Farewell, Jay Unger and Molly Mason
HOMEWORK (shamelessly repeated from last year):
BIRTHDAYS - TODAY AND UPCOMING:
Happy Birthday today toGail Kiger Bonsey (Ferguson HS - '73) of OR!
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Raoul Weinstein ('57) of FL AND Catherine Slusser Hudson ('64) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
05 - Brian Blakley (Cheyenne HS, NV - '04) of NV;
06 - Robert Hemintoller ('57)
Bertha Smith Zacharias ('57);
07 - Fred Field ('45) of CA AND Al Simms ('60) of VA AND Donnie Morris ('67) of VA;
10 - Sydney Dearing ('56) of TN!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Eva Ellis Madagan ('61) of FL - 06/01/08 - "The Funny Side of Parenting":
The Funny Side of Parenting
She taped the offending hair to the paper and mailed it.
A few days later she received the following response, "Thank you, but we just want you to know that this is not the first gray hair you've given us!"
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 06/01/08:
A tip--a tiny bit of Activated Charcoal and the suggested tip, a small pinch of chewing tobacco, has helped this abscess at the gum line, possibly 70 percent, as to the pain. I was in major pain, but this is a miracle. It looks better too. My whole head, neck and ear were all throbbing and killing me. It still hurts, a little, but I can laugh again and be me. I am afraid it has to be pulled, but can at least think logically. I hope not (to require one), but an implant is $1,800.....
WOWZERONI-YOWZERONI!!! Glad you're feeling better now, Shari; thanks for the update - and the tip!
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 06/01/08 - "BEACON - 26 MARCH 1964 (Part one of two)":
|Thursday, March 26, 1964|
|Page One - TOP||Page One - BOTTOM||Page One - National Merit Scholarship Examination||Page Two - TOP||Page Two - Bottom||Page Three - Top||Page Three - BOTTOM|
I saw the date of
that Beacon issue and knew immediately what must have been inside - WOWZERS,
what a treasure! Thanks so much, Brown Eyes!
Thank you again, Captain!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 06/01/08 - "Spellchecker and Carpet Stain Guard:
I have Office 07, but scared it will crash. I know how to spell, but type--NOT AT ALL! (As though I have to explain that.--LOLl) I need it to be virus free.
Also a separate question--a good stain guard for
my wall to wall carpet? I am shampooing, with extra rental days now... but
Rugdoctor has no stain guard, in it. I called up the company, yesterday. I was
astounded at the 689.00 price tag, plus shipping and handling and packaging.
Uh, NO! They said Lowes or Home Depot may carry a good stain guard. I think
carpet stores! It has to be something that can not hurt the kittens. I
realize they may have to stay in bathrooms for a few days. Anyone know a good
brand? If no one knows I can ask friends on a site, but am hoping. I can net
search tomorrow if no one knows, though..... Thank you!
Both of your questions lie outside of my ken, Shari, but perhaps someone else will know.
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 06/01/08 - "Warning From The Taliban ...":
This is "teddibly naughty" of both of us, Joyce, but it did make me laugh out loud - thanks!
From the Head Flagtwirler of 1965, Janice McCain Rose of VA - 06/02/08 - "The Rossers":
Hi Carol...hope you're feeling better....question...what happened to Waverly Rosser? He was not listed as a survivor...and I don't see him on your IN MEMORIAM pages......take care, Janice
I am feeling far better this week, Janice - thanks!
I'm afraid that last Memorial Edition of the Newsletter left me with more questions than answers myself:
The dates and places were correct, but the only brother mentioned was "Donnie Rosser of OH". Waverly's full name was Waverly Clayton Rosser. People often adopt different nicknames later in life, but that threw me. I checked the 2003 Reunion Booklet for the Class of 1963 to see where Waverly lived, but unfortunately, he was listed among the "Missing Classmates".
Also, I had marked in my Anchors years ago that both of the twins had joined the Marine Corps (which hardly proves anything; it could have been simply a rumor). No mention was made of that in the obituary, so I called the R. Hayden Smith Funeral Home yesterday to check on that (757-723-3191). The woman there assured me that Beverly did not serve in any branch of the military; that is one of the questions they specifically ask. That so floored me I neglected to ask about Waverly.
With this many questions unresolved, I did not add Beverly to the In Memoriam pages yet. Hopefully some one can add more to this.
Thanks again, Lady!
From Bobby Fox ('63) of IA - 06/02/08 - "updated picture . .":
Enjoy reading your letters . . many
of us I've spoken to do. Most remain silent about the addiction.
I've attached a picture of my brother Jeff ('69) and me taken last year. Jeff is on the left, I'm in the middle.
Guy on the right is another concert promoter from Louisiana . . . thanks for all you do.
|Jeff Fox ('69), Bobby Fox ('63) and their colleague||Bobby Fox ('63)|
Thank you so much, Bobby! I added your cropped image to your Alumni page:
Once again, please accept my deepest sympathies on the passing of your mother.
From Mike White ('67) of VA - 06/02/08 - "Our National Anthem - Done Texas Style":
You won't believe these young girls.....talking about goose bumps !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284 - the Cactus Cuties
Texas Tech University Basketball game, Feb 9th, National Anthem sung by 5 very talented young ladies. An entire arena remains completely silent throughout the entire song. You could hear a pin drop.
The much requested studio recording of The Cactus Cuties singing our National Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, is now available for downloading at http://cdbaby.com/cd/cactuscuties. The Cactus Cuties, http://www.TheCactusCuties.com, range in age from 8 to 13. This performance was at the Texas Tech vs Texas basketball game January 20, 2008 in front of over 11,000 people.
The girls are Andi, Baylee, Blaire, Madeline and Tatum. The group is named for the Cactus Theater in Lubbock, Texas and they are coached by Cami Caldwell.
They are indeed amazing, Mike - thanks so much!
Here they are a little older (but one - Tatum - is missing) - and it's the youngest girl - Madeline - who hits that incredible high note so effortlessly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8bBrrXUpdo - The Cactus Cuties sing the National Anthem at Spurs Playoff
From Lubbock TX, The Cactus Cuties from are from left to right: Baylee, age 14; Blaire, 11; Andi, 11; and Madeline, 9. They performed our nation's Star Spangled Banner and halftime show at the Spurs/Hornet's NBA Playoffs on May 11, 2008. A studio recorded version of the anthem is now available on iTunes and CD Baby. The girls' first CD will be released early this summer.
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of VA - 06/02/08 - "RULES FOR GOLF IN MONTANA":
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancer last week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"; update of 04/14/08: "now dealing with a blood clot in his pic line; receiving daily injections in the abdomen and taking antibiotics and blood thinners; feels pretty good in spite of everything and his ATTITUDE is great---as usual"; update of update of 04/24/08: "no longer taking daily abdominal injections for blood clot that developed a few weeks ago; everything is looking pretty good. The PET scan will be in the next few weeks. We are expecting good results." update of 05/05/08 - "scheduled for two more chemo visits; will have the first chemo on Thursday, May 8th followed up by an injection on Friday to boost his immune system"; update of 05/08/08 - "did pretty well with the chemo today in spite of the risky business with the procedure without the pic line that was removed due to a clot"; update of 05/28/08: has chemo again on 05/29/08
2.Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal; update of 04/28/08 - SEE ABOVE
Connie Bloxom ThompsonD 21015
3. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
4. My Niece Shari of VA - 05/26/08 - dangerous abscess in mouth
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups..... ; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08
6. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - still in pain, running a fever; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08; update of 05/05/08 - "finally getting better. Her hamstring stretching is painful, but making a big difference. She has years of physical therapy ahead of her, but is doing soo much better"; update of 05/13/08 - has had a setback; going to see the surgeon in Richmond on 05/15/08.
7. My second granddaughter, Rachel Harty of IL - broke her ankle/leg in 3 places on 05/17/08; clean breaks, no surgery required, but located in a tricky place for a growing girl, so proper healing is essential; update of 05/30/08 - "healing nicely. They put her in a cast below the knee. She still can't put any weight on it for 2 more weeks. Then she will be in a walking cast for 3 weeks after that."
9. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"; update of 05/10/08: "continues to do well since the surgery for pancreatic cancer and will now begin the follow-up treatment to be decided upon following the consultation and evaluation at MD Anderson (Houston)."
10.John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
11. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!; update of 05/04/08 - "in about eight months she will indeed have to have the ablation process repeated. "
12. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"; update of 05/22/08 - "still at home recuperating"
13. Jenny Willett Wilson (daughter of the late Edie Hallett Willett - '63) of VA - 05/05/08 - "underwent a double mastectomy in 2007, has just completed vigorous chemo and is now undergoing radiation treatments every day for seven weeks"
14. All of Us
2. Saturday, June 7, 2008 -NNHS CLASS OF 1961:
Mini reunion at the home of Buddy and Libby Blechman David of VA
3. Saturday and Sunday, June 14-15, 2008 -NNHS CLASSES OF FEBRUARY AND JUNE 1948:
4. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
5. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008- NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
Remember, there's so much more to come - soon - REALLY-REALLY!
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Music by Jay Ungar
The sun is sinking low in the sky above Ashokan.
The pines and the willows know soon we will part.
There's a whisper in the wind of promises unspoken,
And a love that will always remain in my heart.
My thoughts will return to the sound of your laughter,
The magic of moving as one,
And a time we'll remember long ever after
The moonlight and music and dancing are done.
Will we climb the hills once more?
Will we walk the woods together?
Will I feel you holding me close once again?
Will every song we've sung stay with us forever?
Will you dance in my dreams or my arms until then?
Under the moon the mountains lie sleeping
Over the lake the stars shine.
They wonder if you and I will be keeping
The magic and music, or leave them behind.
"Ashokan Farewell" midi
at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 05/24/06
Farewell" lyrics courtesy of
also at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 05/24/06
Thanks again, Dave!
First Image of Jefferson Davis courtesy of http://www.onlinelittlerock.com/content/historic/civil-war-photos.htm - 05/31/06
Second Image of Jefferson Davis courtesy of http://members.tripod.com/~azrebel/page10.html - 05/31/06
Confederate Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.cybergifs.com/confederate/indexr1.html - 05/31/06
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Anchor clip art courtesy of
(FHS - '72) of NC - 12/14/05
Cheyenne High School's Desert Shields Logo courtesy of http://www.ccsd.net/schools/cheyenne/sports.htm - 02/05/08
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South Pacific
Thanks again, Herbie!
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Animated Laughing Smiley clip art courtesy of
('65) of VA - 02/07/05
John Marshall High School's Justice Scale clip art courtesy of Cheryl White
Wilson (JMHS - '64) of VA - 10/13/05
Animated Laughing Frog courtesy of Joyce Lawrence Cahoon of VA - 05/31/08
Laughter clip art courtesy of
McCain Rose ('65) of VA - 01/24/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965