05/30/08 - NNHS Newsletter
“That's all folks!”
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
For pure delight, Mel Blanc was a major figure in my youth and childhood. Surely I am not the only one among us who kept a wake-up call for Saturday morning cartoons.
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 05/21/08:
There are hundreds of MIDIs of Mel's
voices; the difficulty is selecting one which is most recognizable. All his
characters were under the LooneyTunes The solution is to use the Looney Tunes
Theme. The WAV file is attached and runs 560 KB. Here is the MIDI:
Thank you, David!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hMN4nTctI - Mel Blanc - How He
Created the Warner Brothers Cartoon Voice
BIRTHDAYS - TODAY AND UPCOMING:
Happy Birthday today toMickey Spivey ('65) of FL!
Happy Birthday tomorrow to our Three-Fer: Calmet Sawyer ('57) AND JoAnn Houston Parrott ('61) of NC AND Kathy Reece Burke (Warwick HS - '72);
Happy Birthday this week to:
01 - Dawn Yevak (Hampton HS - '6_) of VA;
02 - Jerry Blanchard ('62) of VA;
Gail Kiger Bonsey (Ferguson HS - '73) of OR;
04 - Raoul Weinstein ('57) of FL AND Catherine Slusser Hudson ('64) of VA;
05 - Brian Blakley (Cheyenne HS, NV - '04) of NV;
06 - Robert Hemintoller ('57)
Bertha Smith Zacharias ('57);
07 - Fred Field ('45) of CA AND Al Simms ('60) of VA AND Donnie Morris ('67) of VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Jane Monfalcone Simmons ('61) of FL - 05/30/08 - "Florence Monfalcone":
My aunt, Florence Monfalcone, of Newport News, died early Thursday morning at Sentara Careplex after being ill for a long time. Funeral arrangements are incomplete and are being handled by Riverside Funeral Home. This should be completed today.
Florence was a graduate of NNHS in the forties, not sure which year. We have many family members in the area and I would really appreciate it if you could post this since the obit won’t be published until tomorrow. Your site has so many readers I’m sure this would expedite notifying as many as possible.
Thanks so much for your help.
Oh, Jane, I'm so
sorry to hear this! We'll
watch for her obituary and create her Memorial Newsletter when it appears.
Meanwhile, please accept our deepest condolences.
From My #1 Daughter-in-Law, Mary Bennett Harty (Litchfield HS, IL - '89) of IL - 05/30/08 - " Rachel":
Rachel's leg is healing nicely.
They put her in a cast below the knee. She still can't put any weight on it for
2 more weeks. Then she will be in a walking cast for 3 weeks after that.
Miss Mary! Please give Rachel a big ol' kiss for me!
From Sepi Dinwiddie Prichard ('58) of NC - 05/29/08 - "Wagner":
Carol and Typhoon Family......
For Al Simms and Joe Madagan, you are both my heroes for standing your ground on Wagner. My Dad, a Classical music fanatic, would never listen to Wagner, and I find I do not care for his music at all either, it is so "Dark !"
" What is in the mind comes forth in your works !" was my Dad's comment on Wagner ! He didn't think much of Jane either ! As for me I ignore movies that she is in. Why wasn't she sent to Cuba ?
Sepi aka Dimples
Sent to Cuba?!? I always wondered why she was not hanged for treason!
From Jean Poole Burton ('64) of RI - 05/29/08 - "Liberty Bell March!!!":
Thanks for such an uplifting tune today.....
You're welcome, Jean! Glad you liked it!
From Fred Field ('45) of CA - 05/29/08 - "Obits.":
Thanks, Fred! I forwarded your note to Our Wizard of Wonderment, Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA, who originally alerted me to the site. I trust by now he has told you all things regarding it; I only know what I know - which isn't much.....
your upcoming 80th Birthday!
From Joe Madagan ('57) of FL - 05/29/08 - "RE: 05/29/08 - Patrick Henry's 272nd Birthday":
so much, Adonis!
From Sepi Dinwiddie Prichard ('58) of NC - 05/29/08 - "05/29/08 - Patrick Henry's 272nd Birthday":
The speech made by Patrick Henry I first read in St. John's Church in Richmond. I was young, but not so young that I did not recognize it only as a great and wonderful speech, but also as a piece of genuine American Poetry ! Standing in the Church, it was not hard to imagine him standing up there and hearing his voice echo off the walls, so easy it was that I got chills and kept them until I went back out into the warm Spring air !
Sepi aka Dimples
Right next to my computer is an oil painting of St. John's Church done by
my beautiful late aunt, Barbara Schweitzer Buckley. It serves as a
constant reminder to me of those ideals and principles.
From Paul Dobie ('66) of CO - 05/29/08:
To Judy Phillips ('66) and Jerry Allen ('65):
Jerry, you are definitely in our prayers… Judy, what a great website!
Bless you both…
Amen to all that,
Paul - and thanks!
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 05/29/08 - "The Last of Old Riverside Hospital":
I know this will be painful to many
readers, but the demolition must be documented.
I expect that we could fill the pages of several newsletters with the names of Typhoons who were born there or had kinfolk who were born or died there.
A good case could be made that Riverside Hospital and North End Pharmacy and the entire intersection of 50th Street and Huntington Avenue constituted the social hub of North End. So much of what we recall of North End with such great fondness revolves around that intersection. Without Riverside, it will never be the same.
|Thursday, May 29, 2008|
Thank you so much for these superb images, David! You're right. I had very limited connection with this end of town, nevertheless it grieves me to know that it is forever gone.
I've posted the sad reality:
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancer last week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"; update of 04/14/08: "now dealing with a blood clot in his pic line; receiving daily injections in the abdomen and taking antibiotics and blood thinners; feels pretty good in spite of everything and his ATTITUDE is great---as usual"; update of update of 04/24/08: "no longer taking daily abdominal injections for blood clot that developed a few weeks ago; everything is looking pretty good. The PET scan will be in the next few weeks. We are expecting good results." update of 05/05/08 - "scheduled for two more chemo visits; will have the first chemo on Thursday, May 8th followed up by an injection on Friday to boost his immune system"; update of 05/08/08 - "did pretty well with the chemo today in spite of the risky business with the procedure without the pic line that was removed due to a clot"; update of 05/28/08: has chemo again on 05/29/08
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal; update of 04/28/08 - SEE ABOVE
Connie Bloxom ThompsonD 21015
3. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
4. My Niece Shari of VA - 05/26/08 - dangerous abscess in mouth
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups..... ; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08
6. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - still in pain, running a fever; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08; update of 05/05/08 - "finally getting better. Her hamstring stretching is painful, but making a big difference. She has years of physical therapy ahead of her, but is doing soo much better"; update of 05/13/08 - has had a setback; going to see the surgeon in Richmond on 05/15/08.
7. My second granddaughter, Rachel Harty of IL - broke her ankle/leg in 3 places on 05/17/08; clean breaks, no surgery required, but located in a tricky place for a growing girl, so proper healing is essential; update of 05/30/08 - "healing nicely. They put her in a cast below the knee. She still can't put any weight on it for 2 more weeks. Then she will be in a walking cast for 3 weeks after that."
9. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"; update of 05/10/08: "continues to do well since the surgery for pancreatic cancer and will now begin the follow-up treatment to be decided upon following the consultation and evaluation at MD Anderson (Houston)."
10.John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
11. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!; update of 05/04/08 - "in about eight months she will indeed have to have the ablation process repeated. "
12. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"; update of 05/22/08 - "still at home recuperating"
13. Jenny Willett Wilson (daughter of the late Edie Hallett Willett - '63) of VA - 05/05/08 - "underwent a double mastectomy in 2007, has just completed vigorous chemo and is now undergoing radiation treatments every day for seven weeks"
14. All of Us
2. Saturday, June 7, 2008 -NNHS CLASS OF 1961:
Mini reunion at the home of Buddy and Libby Blechman David of VA
3. Saturday and Sunday, June 14-15, 2008 -NNHS CLASSES OF FEBRUARY AND JUNE 1948:
4. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
5. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008- NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
Remember, there's so much more to come - soon - REALLY-REALLY!
Y'all have a great weekend - and take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Looney Tunes Theme
midi courtesy of
http://simplythebest.net/sounds/Midi/cartoon_midis.html - 05/31/08
at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 05/21/08
First Image of Mel Blanc courtesy of http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/biography/blanc_m/blanc_m.html - 05/30/08
Second Image (1976) of Mel Blanc courtesy of http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Mel_Blanc_1976_2.jpg - 05/30/08
Looney Tunes clip art used to form Divider Lines courtesy of http://toolooney.goldenagecartoons.com/clipart.htm - 05/30/08
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South Pacific
Thanks again, Herbie!
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Ferguson High School's Anchor clip art courtesy of
(FHS - '72) of NC
Cheyenne High School's Desert Shields Logo courtesy of http://www.ccsd.net/schools/cheyenne/sports.htm - 02/05/08
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Litchfield High School's Purple Panther Paw Print courtesy of http://www.litchfield.k12.il.us/ - 06/23/07
Animated Yehaa Typhoon
clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 08/18/05
Hillsboro High School's Topper (Band Version) clip art courtesy of
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm- 07/07/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965