05/22/10 - NNHS Newsletter -
National Maritime Day
ď[Mariners] have written one of its most brilliant chapters.
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Today is National Maritime Day, which is making its second appearance here today:
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LIpuMbLX-Q - Jimmy Buffett - Son of a Sailor - Oct. 21, 2004
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday today to Judy Blechman Morenoff ('57)!
Happy Birthday this week to:
24 - Zoe Pappas Marcopoulds ('57) AND Betsy Wilson Ellis ('57);
Edna Martin Clemence ('57)
(deceased 04 Nov 2009);
26 - Stacy Dorn Davis ('64) of VA;
27 - Mary Johnson Weaver ('57);
29 - Donna Chadwell Nunemaker ('64) of VA and FL AND Dee Hodges Bartram ('66) of VA!
Many Happy Returns to You All!
TODAY IN WWII:
|May 22, 1939 - Germany and Italy signed the Pact of Steel.|
TODAY IN 1965:
Saturday, May 22, 1965 - Basketball player Fanis Christodoulou (Φάνης Χριστοδούλου) was born in Athens, Greece.
Saturday, May 22, 1965 - The
first disc jockey in the United Kingdom,
(b. 19 Sept 1882), died at the age of 82.
From Jean Poole Burton ('64) of RI - 05/21/10, 6:29 PM - "Hope you feel better soon!":
From Joey Fink ('70) of ?? - 05/22/10, 10:53 PM:
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. You are in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
Thank you so much, Jean and Joey! I really appreciate your kind thoughts and prayers! I think my knees and hips hurt so much to keep my thoughts off my heart problems, and my swollen ankles, shortness of breath, difficulty in swallowing, and heart flutters are there to keep my thoughts away from my arthritic aches and pains!
Oh, well, I've accomplished an amazing amount of scrapbooking in my albums (mostly 1954 to 1959) while I've spent so much time lying in bed. Now if I can just manage to not fall victim to the wretched germ that has made the life of practically every other member of the household so "fun and exciting".....
From Jane Chambers of VA - 07/01/09 AND 02/07/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD" AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA:
Contact Dr. Chambers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FromArcaMax Jokes - 05/21/10:
A young couple was touring southern Florida and happened to stop at a rattlesnake farm they discovered along the road. After seeing the sights, they engaged in small talk with the man that handled the snakes.
"Gosh!" exclaimed the young woman. "You certainly have a dangerous job. Don't you ever get bitten by the snakes?"
"Yes, on rare occasions," answered the handler.
"Well," she continued, "what do you do when you're bitten by a snake?"
"I always carry a razor-sharp knife in my pocket, and as soon as I am bitten, I make cut across the fang entry and then suck the poison from the wound."
"What, uh...what would happen if you were to accidentally sit on a rattler?" persisted the woman.
"Ma'am," answered the snake handler, "that will be the day I learn who my real friends are."
|DATES TO REMEMBER:|
|1. Saturday, June 12,
2010 - George Wythe
Schools Closing Celebration.
Contact Glory Gill (Wythe school nurse) at 727-2965 /
with any questions or to contribute old memories -
OPEN TO PUBLIC
2. Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1970 will hold its 40-Year Reunion. Saturday night will be at the Kiln Creek Golf & Country Club. For details, contact Carol Comer Cutler at email@example.com or visit the reunion website at NNHS1970Reunion.myevent.com - CLASS OF 1970
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 6, 7, and 8, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1960 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott Newport News at City Center. For details, contact Karen Weinstein Witte at firstname.lastname@example.org - CLASS OF 1960
4. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their 65th Birthdays at a Party on Saturday, October 9, 2010 at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview, Yorktown, VA from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM. For details, contact Susie Overton Jones at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1963
5. Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion. For details, contact Dave Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965
6. Saturday, April 30, 2011 - The NNHS Class of 1954 will have a LUNCHEON. Mickey Marcella email@example.com (757) 249-3800, Betty Hamby Neher, firstname.lastname@example.org (757) 898-5099 and Dr. Harry Simpson email@example.com (804) 694-0346 will be the team leaders. - CLASS OF 1954
7. Saturday, July 9, 2011 (6:30 PM - 11:30 PM) - The Class of 1971 will hold its 40-Year Reunion at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, 950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News. For details, contact Richard Rawls at: Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 05/17/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 08/04/09
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
Son of a Son of a Sailor
(b. 25 Dec 1946)
ďI saw a picture of my grandfather after he had come back from a trip to Nova Scotia. He was born there but left when he was a young man
and didnít return until he was 84. He was standing on dock staring at an old sailing schooner, and the look on his face told the story of where he
had come from and where he had been. I have always been very proud of my heritage as a sailor and wrote this for the men who taught me the skills.Ē
As the son of a son of a sailor
I went out on the sea for adventure
Expanding the view of the captain and crew
Like a man just released from indenture
As a dreamer of dreams and a traveliní man
I have chalked up many a mile
Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks
And Iíve learned much from both of their styles
Son of a son, son of a son, son of a son of a sailor
Son of a gun load the last ton
One step ahead of the jailer
Now away in the near future, southeast of disorder
You can shake the hand of the mango man
As he greets you at the border
And the lady she hails from Trinidad
Island of the spices
Salt for your meat and cinnamon sweet
And the rum is for all your good vices
Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
Forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings
Itís a son of a gun of a chorus
Where it all ends I canít fathom, my friends
If I knew, I might toss out my anchor
So Iíll cruise along always searchiní for songs
Not a lawyer, a thief or a banker
But a son of a son, son of a son, son of a son of a sailor
Son of a gun, load the last ton
One step ahead of the jailer
Iím just a son of a son, son of a son, son of a son of a sailor
The seaís in my veins, my tradition remains
Iím just glad I donít live in a trailer
"Son of a Son of a Sailor" midi courtesy of
at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 05/21/09
of a Son of a
Sailor" lyrics courtesy of
also at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 05/21/09
Thanks again, Dave!
National Maritime Day Image courtesy of http://www.mudvillegazette.com/milblogs/archives/2006/05/ - 05/21/09
Anchor clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars34.html - 05/21/09
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Animated Big Hugs Smiley clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Animated Kissing Smiley clip art
courtesy of my friend, Judy Bundy Bowermaster (Litchfield HS, IL - '59), of IL - 09/19/08
Big Grin Smiley
courtesy of Domi O'Brien ('64) of NH - 07/05/09
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965