05/16/08 - NNHS Newsletter -
“If you haven't cried, your eyes can't be beautiful.”
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
I thought we might just as well continue our "eyes" themes.....
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JNtxeJLQ4 - Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue - Crystal Gayle, 1978
Happy Birthday this week to:
19 - David Whitley ('67) of VA;
Chuck Ragland ('66) of VA;
21 - Faye Merritt Houk ('66) of VA;
22 - Judy Blechman Morenoff ('57)!
Many Happy Returns,One and All!
GUEST BOOK SIGNERS:
1. Charlotte Spade Wilkins (NNHS / WHS - '65) of NC - 05/15/08:
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA - 05/14/08, 11:48 AM - "NNHS Reunion ALERT -- PLEASE READ AND PASS ON":
Our Friday night gathering has been moved to the Williamsburg Marriott due to predictions of Thunder Storms.
Please pass the word to other classmates.
Time: 4:30 - 10:30pm
Buffet dinner will be served at 7pm.
Those checking into the Marriott will be informed of the change upon check-in.
For those who do not get the word (there will always be a few), a note will be posted on Jesse Kersey's door directing them to the Marriott.
See you there.
Thunder Storms?!? For the Noble Gathering?!? Oh, say it isn't so!
Four-and-a-half years ago, 1963's 40-Year Reunion had to be postponed for a month:
Thanks, Joe! Y'all have a splendiferous time, and don't let the weather dampen your spirits!
Thanks, Joyce! According to this, I could still have another ten years! WHOO-HOO!!!
From Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 05/14/08 - "The Parks and Boxcars":
Here’s praying you are feeling better.
Thanks so much, Sweetie! Usually I'm feeling better - except when I'm feeling worse. Today I've had some of each!
I appreciate Dave Spriggs’ (’64, VA) comments on my submission of another aerial view of Ferguson Park Apartments. I reckon that about 3 a.m. I’ll remember the namesake of the Little League stadium in Huntington Park. It was named for a long-time commissioner and supporter of the National Little League, which with the East End’s American L.L. was the foundation of our talented Typhoon Baseball teams under Jack Powers.
I misnamed my National Little League Exchange Club team manager, who was “Mr. Volhein” or “Coach.” I think now his name was “Stanley” Volhein, his son being Donald (an NNHS grad circa “57-’58). Mr. “V” worked at NNS&DD Co. I met him again at lunch time one day in August 1961. I was working on the USS Enterprise (CVN 61). He pretended to remember me. He was tolerant of a zealous, but less-successful right fielder; a batter who had a habit of “spiking the bucket” as I swing (stepping out of the batter’s box -- it’s an out).
Ummmm, Normie - in one of our strange "coincidences":
I'm so sorry to break it to you this way;whenever I try to write you individually, AOL (convinced that I am an evil Spammer) kindly protects you from me and returns my mail.
|Reference the War Memorial Museum at Huntington Park, one of its holdings is the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Merci Boxcar (see attached photo), one of those donated to every state by France in appreciation for America’s sacrifices in the world wars. It’s a 40-et-8 Boxcar, designed to carry 40 men or eight horses, or a couple platoons of Doughboys headed to the ”front.” Many of us are members of “La Societe des Quarante Hommes et Huit Chevaux,” formed as the honor society of The American Legion in 1920. I am particularly keen that we “Voyageurs” provide scholarships to young men and women who are in accredited nursing certification programs. I owe nurses a lot for their ministrations the past nearly six years.|
Reference the nurses, I let a milestone pass without comment April 7, which marked the first 12-month period since 2002 that I have not been on a gurney or hooked up to tubes in an ED, OR, or ICU or cardiac treatment center. It’s a milestone of some significance and hope it is not simply a hiatus.
Norm Covert ('61, MD)
What splendiferous news! Congratulations, Norm!
From Ann Mabe Leighton ('58) of NC - 05/15/08: - "Thank You":
Please let everyone know who sent cards to me after my husband's death how much I appreciated them. Most of them I had not seen or heard from for 50 years and so I was especially touched and overwhelmed at how many took the time to send cards of sympathy.
I'm honored to pass that along to them, Ann - just as I'm sure they were to be able to express their love and concern to you.
From Ruth Ann Reece Horace ('67) of FL - 05/15/08 - "05/14/08 - My Way":
Thanks for the Frank Sinatra issue. My daughter, Kimmy, (21) is crazy about him. Last year she had to have major surgery to correct a severe birth defect (her bottom jaw grew very large and her teeth didn't meet at all). They gave her a really strong pain killer and since she couldn't talk, all she would do was hum "Fly Me To The Moon". When I told her about the issue, she had to see it. In her words "Way Cool".
WOWZERS - thanks, Ruthie! I'm glad you and Kimmy enjoyed it!
From Glenn Dye ('60) of TX - 05/15/08 - "Ordering Pizza in 2010...":
How badly could one want a pizza in 2010? This is funny, but the scary part about it is that it's probably not too far away from being reality. Want to know how to order a pizza in 2010? Click the link and see...turn up the volume...listen closely...watch the pointer carefully.
Click here: http://aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf
OUCH - this is either funny or chilling! Thanks, Glenn!
From Joe Madagan ('57) of FL - 05/15/08 - "Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman Allen Groshong USN (KIA)":
COOL BEANS! Thanks for letting us know, Major Madagan, this is a great feature!
From Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 05/15/08 - " Bucky!":
Amen to all that! Thanks, Norm!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancer last week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"; update of 04/14/08: "now dealing with a blood clot in his pic line; receiving daily injections in the abdomen and taking antibiotics and blood thinners; feels pretty good in spite of everything and his ATTITUDE is great---as usual"; update of update of 04/24/08: "no longer taking daily abdominal injections for blood clot that developed a few weeks ago; everything is looking pretty good. The PET scan will be in the next few weeks. We are expecting good results." update of 05/05/08 - "scheduled for two more chemo visits; will have the first chemo on Thursday, May 8th followed up by an injection on Friday to boost his immune system"; update of 05/08/08 - "did pretty well with the chemo today in spite of the risky business with the procedure without the pic line that was removed due to a clot"
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal; update of 04/28/08 - SEE ABOVE
Connie Bloxom ThompsonD 21015
3. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
4. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups..... ; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08
5. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - still in pain, running a fever; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08; update of 05/05/08 - "finally getting better. Her hamstring stretching is painful, but making a big difference. She has years of physical therapy ahead of her, but is doing soo much better"; update of 05/13/08 - has had a setback; going to see the surgeon in Richmond on 05/15/08.
6. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08; update of 04/14/08 -"at home recuperating"
7. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"; update of 05/10/08: "continues to do well since the surgery for pancreatic cancer and will now begin the follow-up treatment to be decided upon following the consultation and evaluation at MD Anderson (Houston)."
8.John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
9. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!; update of 05/04/08 - "in about eight months she will indeed have to have the ablation process repeated. "
10. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"
11. Jenny Willett Wilson (daughter of the late Edie Hallett Willett - '63) of VA - 05/05/08 - "underwent a double mastectomy in 2007, has just completed vigorous chemo and is now undergoing radiation treatments every day for seven weeks"
12. All of Us
1. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 -NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1958.html - 03/18/08
2. Sunday, May 18, 2008 -OPEN TO THE PUBLIC:
The Athletic Hall of Fame of the Virginia Peninsula Is Inducting Bucky Keller ('58), 6:30PM at the Hampton Coliseum:
4. Saturday, June 7, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1961:
Mini reunion at the home of Buddy and Libby Blechman David of VA
5. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
6. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008- NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
Remember, there's so much more to come - soon - REALLY!
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
Words and Music
(b. 8 Jan 1951)
I don't know when I've been so
Don't know what's come over you
You've found someone new
And don't it make my brown eyes blue
I'll be fine when you're gone
I'll just cry all night long
Say it isn't true
And don't it make my brown eyes blue
Tell me no secrets, tell me some lies
Give me no reasons, give me alibis
Tell me you love me and don't let me cry
Say anything but don't say goodbye
I didn't mean to treat you bad
Didn't know just what I had
But honey now I do
And don't it make my brown eyes
Don't it make my brown eyes
Don't it make my brown eyes blue
"Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" midi courtesy of http://wilstar.com/jukebox.htm - 05/16/08
"Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" lyrics courtesy of http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/gayle-crystal/dont-it-make-my-brown-eyes-blue-10667.html - 05/16/08
Brown Eyes and Blue Eyes Images gathered by Webmistress
from Hither and Yon - 0516/08
Thank you, Gentlemen!
Animated Flashing Woman's Eyes clip art used to form Divider Lines courtesy of http://www.webweaver.nu/clipart/eyes2.shtml - 05/16/08
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Animated Guest Book clip art courtesy of http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/guestbook-gifs.html - 03/07/06
Crying Baby clip art courtesy of http://www.barbspics.com/baby/babypage06index.html - 09/28/05
Animated Navy Flag courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Animated Yehaa Typhoon
clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 08/18/05
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965