05/15/15 - NNHS Newsletter - As Time Goes By
“Now is the only time there is.
Make your now
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
You'll forgive me if I revisit Frank today.....
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY62QByUYJQ - As Time Goes By - Frank Sinatra with clips from Casablanca (1942)
|"As Time Goes By" is a song written by
Herman Hupfeld in 1931. It became most famous in 1942 when it was
sung by Sam (Dooley
Wilson) in the movie
Casablanca. The song was voted #2 on the
AFI's 100 Years... 100 Songs special, commemorating the best songs
in film. It was used as a fanfare for
Warner Bros. Pictures since 1998.
Herman Hupfeld wrote "As Time Goes By" for the 1931 Broadway musical Everybody's Welcome. In the original show, it was sung by Frances Williams. It was recorded that year by several artists, including Rudy Vallee.
The song was re-introduced in 1942 in the film Casablanca, sung by Dooley Wilson accompanied by pianist Elliot Carpenter and heard throughout the film as a leitmotif. Wilson was unable to record a single of the song at the time due to a musicians' strike, leading the studio to re-issue Vallee's 1931 recording and giving Vallee a number one hit in 1942.
The song's famous opening line, "You must remember this...", is actually the start of the song's chorus as it was originally written and performed. Wilson did not sing the preceding verse in Casablanca, however, and most subsequent recordings have followed the film's lead in omitting it, leading to its being virtually unknown to most listeners.
In addition to the American Film Institute including it as number two in their list of the 100 best songs in film, National Public Radio included it in their NPR 100, the 1999 list of the most important American musical works of the 20th century as compiled by their music editors....
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Jimmy Todd ('63) of the USA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
17 - Don Coffey ('54) of VA AND the late Susan Whitt Vest ('66)(deceased 06/16/10) ;
19 - David Whitley ('67) of VA;
20 - Chuck Ragland ('66) of VA;
Faye Merritt Houk ('66) of VA;
22 - Judy Blechman Morenoff ('57)!
Many Happy Returnsto You All
THIS DAY IN WWII:
May 15, 1940 -
USS Sailfish (SS-192) was recommissioned; it was originally the
May 15, 1940 - After fierce fighting, the
poorly trained and equipped
Dutch troops surrendered to
Germany, marking the beginning of five years of occupation.
May 15, 1942 - In the United States, a bill creating the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) was signed into law.
THIS DAY IN 1965:
|Saturday, May 15, 1965 - Footballer Raí was born Raí Souza Vieira de Oliveira in Ribeirão Preto, Brazil.|
From My Friend, Susan, of NC - 05/14/15:
|“Life has to be lived
in the present tense. The current hour is the only one we have.”
Jeffrey R. Holland
Thanks so much, Susan!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 05/12/15 - "Music":
Thank you, Shari!
From Me ('65) of NC - 05/14/15 - "Crocheting for a Cause - Recycling at its best!":
From Jim Rohn's Newsletter - 03/16/15 - "6 Things That Constitute a Good Life":
6 Things That
Constitute a Good Life
by Jim Rohn
The ultimate expression of life is not a paycheck. The ultimate expression of life is not a Mercedes. The ultimate expression of life is not a million dollars, a bank account, or a home. The ultimate expression of life, in my opinion, is living a good life.
But what constitutes a good life? This is my shortlist:
1. Productivity. You won't be happy if you don't produce. The game of life is not rest. We must rest, but only long enough to gather strength to get back to productivity. What's the reason for the seasons and the seeds, the soil and the sunshine, the rain and the miracle of life? It's to see what you can do with it—to try your hand to see what you can do.
2. Good friends. Friendship is probably the greatest support system in the world. Don't deny yourself the time to develop it. Nothing can match it. It's extraordinary in its benefit. Friends are those wonderful people who know all about you and still like you.
3. Your culture. Language, music, ceremonies, traditions, dress - all of that is so vitally important that you must keep it alive. It is the uniqueness of all of us that, when blended together, brings vitality, energy, power, influence, uniqueness and rightness to the world.
4. Spirituality. It helps to form the foundation of the family that builds the nation. And make sure you study, practice and teach. Don't be careless about the spiritual part of your nature; it's what makes us who we are—different from animals, dogs, cats, birds and mice.
5. Don't miss anything. My parents taught me not to miss anything. Don't miss the game; don't miss the performance; don't miss the movie; don't miss the show; don't miss the dance. Go to everything you possibly can. Buy a ticket to everything you possibly can. Go see everything and experience all you possibly can.
6. Your family and the inner circle. Invest in them and they'll invest in you. Inspire them and they'll inspire you. Take care of the details with your inner circle.
If a father walks out of the house and he can still feel his daughter's kiss on his face all day, he's a powerful man. If a husband walks out of the house and he can still feel the imprint of his wife's arms around his body, he's invincible all day. It's the special stuff with your inner circle that makes you strong and powerful and influential. So don't miss that opportunity. Make sure in your busy day to remember the true purpose and the reasons you do what you do. May you truly live the kind of life that will bring the fruit and rewards that you desire.
“I need one more bass less.”
(18 Nov 1899 - 12 Mar 1985)
BONUS TIME GONE BY CROCHET PATTERN:
http://www.craftbits.com/project/wedding-ring-bedspread - Wedding Ring Bedspread - "This sweet pattern is a vintage classic. The Wedding Ring Bedspread would make a great gift, or you can make it for your own bed. Get in touch with years gone by with this pretty free crochet afghan pattern."
BONUS TIME GONE BY RECIPES:
http://www.old-fashion-recipe.com/- Old Fashioned Recipes - "Many of these old fashioned recipes have been in our family 30 to 40 years or more..."
From www.ajokeaday.com - 05/14/15:
I rear-ended another car this morning. I tell you,
I knew right then and there that it was going to be a really bad day.
|DATES TO REMEMBER:|
Wednesday, July 8, 2015 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon
on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch
at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN
THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good
conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan
at 803-7701 for reservations.
2. Friday and Saturday, October 16 and 17, 2015 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott at City Center, 740 Town Center Drive, Newport News. Friday night will be open to all graduates of NNHS; Saturday night will be reserved for 1965 Class members and their guests. CONTACT: Lynn Walker Brothers @ firstname.lastname@example.org or Pauline Collins Shofner @ email@example.com.
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 05/11/15
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 03/13/11
Love to all, Carol
Carol Buckley Harty
7020 Lure Court
Fayetteville, NC 28311-9309
2.Go to www.PayPal.com, log in, select "Send Money (Services) to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
3. Just mail it directly to my home. Thanks!
As Time Goes By
Words and Music byHerman Hupfeld (01 Feb 1894 - 08 June 1951), 1931
[This day and
age we're living in
Gives cause for apprehension
With speed and new invention
And things like fourth dimension.
Yet we get a trifle weary
With Mr. Einstein's theory.
So we must get down to earth at times
Relax relieve the tension
And no matter what the progress
Or what may yet be proved
The simple facts of life are such
They cannot be removed.]
You must remember this
A kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh.
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by.
And when two lovers woo
They still say, "I love you."
On that you can rely
No matter what the future brings
As time goes by.
Moonlight and love songs
Never out of date.
Hearts full of passion
Jealousy and hate.
Woman needs man
And man must have his mate
That no one can deny.
It's still the same old story
A fight for love and glory
A case of do or die.
The world will always welcome lovers
As time goes by.
Oh yes, the world will always welcome lovers
As time goes by.
© 1931 Warner Bros. Music Corporation, ASCAP
"As Time Goes By" midi courtesy of
http://www.macsvision.co.uk/midi/piano.html - 05/15/07
"As Time Goes By" lyrics courtesy of http://www.reelclassics.com/Movies/Casablanca/astimegoesby-lyrics.htm - 05/15/07
First Image courtesy of http://www.finnishlakesidecabins.com/Photo_gallery.htm - 01/17/07
Second Image courtesy of Cal's Gallery, http://www.wtv-zone.com/cal555 , located by my niece, Shari, of VA - 01/10/04
What a great site! Thanks, Shari!
Blue divider line clip art courtesy of http://www.bravenet.com - 08/12/04
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Marine Corps Seal clip art courtesy of the late Herbert Hice of MI, one of my Famous Marines who served in the South Pacific during WWII.
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2015
Return to NNHS Class of 1965