05/14/08 - NNHS Newsletter - My Way
"I would like to be remembered as a man who had a wonderful time
Francis Albert Sinatra
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
With my apparent new found fascination with Frank Sinatra, you surely knew I could not let today go unnoticed, didn't you? The Chairman of the Board, Ol' Blue Eyes himself, died ten years ago today at the age of 85.
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEbgB6X6S5c - I Did It My Way - Frank Sinatra
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tGdoA6mCc - I Did It My Way - Frank Sinatra
http://www.sinatrafamily.com/ - This assignment come with a built-in bonus or two of its own.....
http://www.time.com/time/time100/artists/profile/sinatra.html - "He loved, he brawled, he had style, he had guts, he could even act. And, oh yeah, he defined American pop."
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 05/13/08:
Emily has had a setback. I'm taking her to see the surgeon in Richmond on Thursday.
I'm so sorry to hear this, Shari! Thank you for letting us know. We'll keep praying.
BIRTHDAYS - TODAY AND UPCOMING:
Happy Birthday today toJohnnie Bateman ('67/'70) of VA!
I believe you requested a candle a couple of years ago, Johnnie:
Happy Birthday this week to:
19 - David Whitley ('67) of VA;
Chuck Ragland ('66) of VA;
21 - Faye Merritt Houk ('66) of VA!
Many Happy Returns,One and All!
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA - 05/14/08, 11:48 AM - "NNHS Reunion ALERT -- PLEASE READ AND PASS ON":
Our Friday night gathering has been moved to the Williamsburg Marriott due to predictions of Thunder Storms.
Please pass the word to other classmates.
Time: 4:30 - 10:30pm
Buffet dinner will be served at 7pm.
Those checking into the Marriott will be informed of the change upon check-in.
For those who do not get the word (there will always be a few), a note will be posted on Jesse Kersey's door directing them to the Marriott.
See you there.
Thunder Storms?!? For the Noble Gathering?!? Oh, say it isn't so!
Four-and-a-half years ago, 1963's 40-Year Reunion had to be postponed for a month:
Thanks, Joe! Y'all have a splendiferous time, and don't let the weather dampen your spirits!
From Sylvia Midgett Mullins Brown ('70) of VA - 05/05/08 - "Family Circus":
Edith's daughter Jenny underwent a double mastectomy in 2007 and has just
completed vigorous chemo and is now undergoing radiation treatments every day
for seven weeks at Riverside Cancer Center. Please keep her in your prayers as
she is only 44 years old with two children and a wonderful, supportive
Thank you so much, Sylvia! I really appreciate your words!
You're right; I've never met you - but I DID know your sister, Edie! We were in at least one class together; I've no idea what it may have been - and we used to walk together - somewhere. After 45 years I don't remember if if was to go downtown or just in the halls. What I do recall was Edie's smile - and her hair. We both wore our hair in about the same style, but her hair was sooo much thicker than mine - and it used to bounce as she walked. Memories produce such curious, fragmented images with the passage of time....
Anyway, I was strangely in the midst of updating the In Memoriam pages when your note arrived. I had finished 1965, then 1964, then 1966, and had just begun 1963 - and posted Edie's obituary - when your note arrived.
Then of course I was interrupted as befalls me so often, and had intended to finish that page before I posted your note, but I've stalled long enough.
I added your cousin and niece to my mailing list right away. Please ask them for me if they'd like to be announced as "Newbies" and appear on our "Alumni" pages, or if they'd prefer to remain in the background. I've been meaning to do that myself for the last nine days, and that doesn't seem to be happening either.....
From Me ('65) of NC - 05/14/08 - "More Updates":
|The fabulous Microsoft Virtual Earth image - complete with annotations - given to us on 05/11/08 by Sydney Dearing ('56) of TN, has several additional applications, so I've added it to the following pages so far:|
|Saturday, May 10, 2008|
Thanks again, Sydney!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 05/13/08 - "Stuart Gardens Apartments":
|Please tell your friend Dave Spriggs ('64 - of VA) thank you so much for the Stuart Gardens Pictures and surrounding area pictures. The Stuart Gardens Apartments are so much prettier updated, but I loved them old.|
|December, 1960||Thursday, May 8, 2008|
|1354 Roanoke Avenue
Maxine Frix Buckley (JMHS - '25) and Shari - age 1
|1354 Roanoke Avenue|
|Hmmm, Baba without ice cream..... Kinda hard to imagine, isn't it?!? Thanks, Shari! And thank you, again, David!|
Maxine Frix Buckley
(JMHS - '25)
From Christine Wilson Starkman ('68) of CA - 05/14/08 - "Check out Jumbo Postcard from MacArthur Park":
I'm sending this two ways (suspenders and belt) to make sure you can open it.
Jumbo Postcard from MacArthur Park and Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California:
This postcard is circa 1949.
Last May, there was a confrontation in the park during an immigration rights rally between LAPD and some of the participants. It's funny peculiar that you chose to feature the song this month.
May Flowers to You,
and Typhoons Forever,
Well, Honey, I'm nothing, if not "funny peculiar"!
And I really didn't mean to feature that song; it just jumped into my mind and insisted upon it!
But you're right, Lady, I just don't have the energy to deal with immigration issues and their fallout right now (nor any other wildly inflammatory topic, such as politics!), so had I remembered that news item from last May, I probably would have chosen something else - no matter what my feeble brain was singing to me!
From John Harrison ('58) of GA - 05/14/08 - "Email Address Change":
I have you all changed on my mailing list now, John - thanks!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 05/14/08 - " ~ * ~ Consider This ~ * ~ ":
BOY HOWDY! Thank you, Shari!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancer last week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"; update of 04/14/08: "now dealing with a blood clot in his pic line; receiving daily injections in the abdomen and taking antibiotics and blood thinners; feels pretty good in spite of everything and his ATTITUDE is great---as usual"; update of update of 04/24/08: "no longer taking daily abdominal injections for blood clot that developed a few weeks ago; everything is looking pretty good. The PET scan will be in the next few weeks. We are expecting good results." update of 05/05/08 - "scheduled for two more chemo visits; will have the first chemo on Thursday, May 8th followed up by an injection on Friday to boost his immune system"; update of 05/08/08 - "did pretty well with the chemo today in spite of the risky business with the procedure without the pic line that was removed due to a clot"
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal; update of 04/28/08 - SEE ABOVE
Connie Bloxom ThompsonD 21015
3. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
4. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups..... ; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08
5. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - still in pain, running a fever; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08; update of 05/05/08 - "finally getting better. Her hamstring stretching is painful, but making a big difference. She has years of physical therapy ahead of her, but is doing soo much better"; update of 05/13/08 - has had a setback; going to see the surgeon in Richmond on 05/15/08.
6. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08; update of 04/14/08 -"at home recuperating"
7. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"; update of 05/10/08: "continues to do well since the surgery for pancreatic cancer and will now begin the follow-up treatment to be decided upon following the consultation and evaluation at MD Anderson (Houston)."
8.John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
9. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!; update of 05/04/08 - "in about eight months she will indeed have to have the ablation process repeated. "
10. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"
11. Jenny Willett Wilson (daughter of the late Edie Hallett Willett - '63) of VA - 05/05/08 - "underwent a double mastectomy in 2007, has just completed vigorous chemo and is now undergoing radiation treatments every day for seven weeks"
12. All of Us
1. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 -NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1958.html - 03/18/08
2. Sunday, May 18, 2008 -OPEN TO THE PUBLIC:
The Athletic Hall of Fame of the Virginia Peninsula Is Inducting Bucky Keller ('58), 6:30PM at the Hampton Coliseum:
4. Saturday, June 7, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1961:
Mini reunion at the home of Buddy and Libby Blechman David of VA
5. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
6. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008- NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
Remember, there's much more to come - next time - REALLY!
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
by Paul Anka;
Music ("Comme d'habitude") by Claude François and Jacques Revaux;
(Anka's English lyrics are unrelated to the original French by Claude François and Gilles Thibaut.)
(12 Dec 1912 - 14 May 1998)
And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.
I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.
Regrets, I've had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.
I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.
Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew,
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.
I've loved, I've laughed and cried.
I've had my fill; my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.
To think I did all that;
And may I say - not in a shy way,
No, oh no, not me,
I did it my way.
For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows -
And did it my way!
Yes, it was my way.
"My Way" midi courtesy of http://wsdiyana.tripod.com/midi.html - 05/14/08
"My Way" lyrics courtesy of http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+sinatra/my+way_20056378.html - 05/14/08
First Frank Sinatra Image courtesy of http://studentweb.hunter.cuny.edu/~cderoma/ - 05/14/08
Second Frank Sinatra Image courtesy of http://www.javno.com/en/bestseller/clanak.php?id=102268 - 05/14/08
Gold Scroll Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars17.html - 03/21/06
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Animated Huge Candle clip art courtesy of http://www.hereinreality.com/starseed/candles.html - 05/21/06
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Crying Baby clip art courtesy of http://www.barbspics.com/baby/babypage06index.html - 09/28/05
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
John Marshall High School's Justice Scale clip art courtesy of
Cheryl White Wilson (JMHS - '64) of VA - 10/13/05
Animated Wildly Laughing Dog courtesy of Eva Ellis Madagan ('61) of FL -
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965