05/12/10 - NNHS Newsletter - Apache
Apache - Rancheria
Thursday, July 1, 1852 -
Apache Treaty - Yahnoza, Chappo, Fun,
“I cannot think that we
are useless or God would not have created us.
“One Who Yawns”)
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Today's Newsletter theme is being repeated from exactly four years ago today:
It was originally located for us by our Wizard of Wonderment, Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA.
Thanks again, David!
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLocafpLMi0 - Apache - The Shadows, 1964 - with a most unusual ending.....
"Apache" is an instrumental written by Jerry Lordan. It has been recorded by many people, but the first released version was recorded by British group The Shadows in June 1960 and released the following month. The song topped the UK singles chart for five weeks. In March 2005, Q magazine placed "Apache" at number 96 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks.
In North America, the song is identified with Jørgen Ingmann, a jazz guitarist from Denmark. In 1961, Ingmann produced a cover version that, billed to "Jørgen Ingmann and His Guitar," made number two on the US pop chart, and number one on Canada's CHUM Chart.
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday today to Lynn Walker Brothers ('65) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
14 - Johnnie Bateman ('70) of VA;
19 - David Whitley ('67) of VA!
Many Happy Returns to You All!
TODAY IN WWII:
|May 12, 1941 -
Konrad Zuse presented the
Z3, the world's first working programmable, fully automatic
May 12, 1942 - Second Battle of Kharkov: in eastern Ukraine, Red Army forces under Marshal Semyon Timoshenko launched a major offensive from the Izium bridgehead, only to be encircled and destroyed by the troops of Army Group South two weeks later.
TODAY IN 1965:
Wednesday, May 12, 1965 -
crashed on the
Wednesday, May 12, 1965 - Lynn Walker celebrated her 18th birthday in Newport News.
GIGGLES!!! Thanks, Shari!
Yesterday is a canceled check, and tomorrow is little more than a
That's a good 'un - thanks again, Shari!
From My Friend, Cheryl, of NC - 05/11/10 - "Now, say your ABCs (if you can remember!)":
|This cracks me up!!! The sad
thing is I can totally relate.
Now, say your ABCs (if you can remember!)
A for arthritis,
From Jane Chambers of VA - 07/01/09 AND 02/07/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD" AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA:
Contact Dr. Chambers at email@example.com.
FromArcaMax Jokes - 05/11/10:
One afternoon a man came home from work to find total mayhem in his house.
His three children were outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn all around the front yard.
The door of his wife's car was open, as was the front door to the house.
Proceeding into the entry, he found an even bigger mess.
A lamp had been knocked over, and the throw rug was wadded against one wall.
In the front room the TV was loudly blaring a cartoon channel, and the family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing.
In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the counter, dog food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door. He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife.
He was worried she may be ill, or that something serious had happened. He found her lounging in the bedroom, still curled in the bed in her pajamas, reading a novel. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?"
She again smiled and answered, "You know everyday when you come home from work and ask me what in the world did I do today?"
"Yes," was his incredulous reply.
She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it."
|DATES TO REMEMBER:|
|1. Saturday, June 12,
2010 - George Wythe
Schools Closing Celebration.
Contact Glory Gill (Wythe school nurse) at 727-2965 /
with any questions or to contribute old memories -
OPEN TO PUBLIC
2. Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1970 will hold its 40-Year Reunion. Saturday night will be at the Kiln Creek Golf & Country Club. For details, contact Carol Comer Cutler at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the reunion website at NNHS1970Reunion.myevent.com - CLASS OF 1970
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 6, 7, and 8, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1960 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott Newport News at City Center. For details, contact Karen Weinstein Witte at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1960
4. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their 65th Birthdays at a Party on Saturday, October 9, 2010 at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview, Yorktown, VA from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM. For details, contact Susie Overton Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org - CLASS OF 1963
5. Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion. For details, contact Dave Arnold at email@example.com - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965
6. Saturday, April 30, 2011 - The NNHS Class of 1954 will have a LUNCHEON. Mickey Marcella firstname.lastname@example.org (757) 249-3800, Betty Hamby Neher, email@example.com (757) 898-5099 and Dr. Harry Simpson firstname.lastname@example.org (804) 694-0346 will be the team leaders. - CLASS OF 1954
7. July 2011- The Class of 1971 is planning a 40-Year Reunion. A planning committee has been formed and held their first meeting recently. In an effort to connect with as many class members as possible, they are asking anyone interested in the Class of '71 reunion to contact Richard Rawls. Please provide your name, address, phone number(s) and email address so that they can be in touch with you when final arrangements are made. It has been 20 years since their last class reunion and they are looking forward to seeing everyone again. Send your contact information to: Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 05/11/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 08/04/09
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
Written by Jerry Lordan (30 April 1934 - 24 July 1995)
Recorded by The Shadows, 1960
Jørgen Ingmann (b. 26 Apr 1925), 1961
midi courtesy of
located by Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 05/07/06 at my request of 05/07/06
Thanks so much, Dave!
Image of Apaches - Rancheria courtesy of http://www.discoverseaz.com/History/Apaches.html - 05/10/06
July 1, 1852
Image of Yahnoza, Chappo, Fun, and Geronimo, After the Apache Treaty
courtesy of http://www.powerhousehosting.net/members/apache/ - 05/10/06
Gold Arrow Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars9.html - 05/10/06
TRIVIA ALERT: The above scripture fragment, Ecclesiastes 7: 26, was quoted in the film noir classic, Born to Kill (1947) ***
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy ofSarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Angel courtesy of My Niece, Shari, of VA - 06/29/09
Animated Laughing Woman courtesy of Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 02/23/09
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965