NNHS Newsletter -
“The higher your energy level, the more efficient your body.
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
I hope your energy levels just keep going higher and higher.....
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1odvp-_bhk - Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson
"(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" is a hit R&B song originally performed by Jackie Wilson in 1967. The song was notably covered by Rita Coolidge in 1977.
The backing track for "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" was recorded on 6 July 1967 at Columbia's studios in Chicago. Produced by Carl Davis, the session - arranged by Sonny Sanders - featured bassist James Jamerson, drummer Richard "Pistol" Allen, guitarist Robert White, and keyboardist Johnny Griffith; these four musicians were all members of the Motown Records house band the Funk Brothers who often moonlighted on sessions for Davis to augment the meager wages paid by Motown. According to Carl Davis the Funk Brothers "used to come over on the weekends from Detroit. They’d load up in the van and come over to Chicago, and I would pay ‘em double scale, and I’d pay ‘em in cash." Similarly two of Motown's house session singers the Andantes: Jackie Hicks and Marlene Barrow along with Pat Lewis, performed on the session for "...Higher and Higher".
Davis brought the track to New York City for Wilson to add his vocal; Davis recalls Wilson originally sang the song "like a soul ballad. I said that's totally wrong. You have to jump and go with the percussion...if he didn't want to sing it that way, I would put my voice on the record and sell millions". After hearing Davis' advisement Wilson cut the lead vocal for "...Higher and Higher" in a single take. 
The original songwriting credit for "...Higher and Higher" was to Gary Jackson and Carl Smith who'd previously been house songwriters at Chess Records. When "...Higher and Higher" reached the Top Ten, Chess songwriters Billy Davis and Raynard Miner sued claiming the song as their composition which Jackson or Smith had appropriated from Miner's briefcase while at Chess Records; Davis and Miner alleged Jackson and Smith had slightly amended the lyrics and then presented "...Higher and Higher" to Davis as their own work. Davis and Miner were awarded eighty percent of the songwriting royalties with Jackson and Smith retaining twenty percent.
Released in August 1967, "...Higher and Higher" reached #1 R&B and in November peaked on the Pop charts at #6.
In the UK Wilson's "...Higher and Higher" would be a hit in both 1969 (#11) and 1987 (#3). and in 1987 (#15).
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday today to Billy Turner ('65) of TX AND My Granddaughter, Rachel Harty (Collinsville HS, IL - '14) of IL!
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Pauline Collins Shofner ('65) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
04 - Wanda Hodge Underwood ('57);
05 - Jane Penn Clark ('57) AND Tom Jones (Warwick HS - '60) of VA;
06 - Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) AND (according to Plaxo) Norman Olshansky ('64) of FL AND Van Rowell ('65) of NC;
07 - Judy Abbott Copes ('57);
08 - Frank Gibson ('63) of VA;
09 - Patty Andrews Mays ('61) of VA!
|Many Happy Returns to You All!|
TODAY IN WWII:
May 2, 1933 -
May 2, 1945 - Fall of Berlin: The Soviet Union announced the capture of Berlin and Soviet soldiers hoisted their red flag over the Reichstag building.
May 2, 1945 -
Italian Campaign – General
Heinrich von Vietinghoff signed the official instrument of surrender of all
forces in Italy.
May 2, 1945 - The US 82nd Airborne Division liberated Wöbbelin concentration camp finding 1000 dead inmates, most starved to death.
TODAY IN 1965:
Sunday, May 02, 1965 - Baseball player Félix José was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
Sunday, May 02, 1965 - Billy Turner celebrated his 18th birthday in Newport News.
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 05/01/10 - "For Sunday":
|Most of the videos that
came out last week were either violent, sexual, and/or weird, so most of
the links are to songs. I attempted to provide a variety.
1 of these just came out in Staunton, VA last year.
Lamb - Gabriel (Spiritual)
Lady Gaga - paparazzi her version is the best I think. (Pop)
KoRn featuring Amy Lee - Freak On A Leash Live (Ballad/Light Rock)
Mountain - Mississippi Queen (classic rock)
KoRn - Evolution (Metal)
While working in the library at a university, I was often shocked by the excuses students would use to get out of paying their fees for overdue books. One evening an older student returned two books that were way overdue and threw a fit over the "outrageous" $2 fee that I asked her to pay.
I tried to explain how much she owed for each day, but she insisted she should be exempt. "You don't understand," she blurted out. "I didn't even read them!"
"The bad news is time flies.
The good news is you're the pilot."
- Michael Althsuler
Vitamin D improves elderly mobility
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Elderly study participants with the highest levels of vitamin D had better physical function and mobility than others, U.S. researchers found. Dr. Denise Houston of the Sticht Center on Aging at Wake Forest University and colleagues studied vitamin D status and physical function in a group of relatively healthy seniors, mean age 75, in Memphis and Pittsburgh. The study tracked 2,788 seniors for four years and assessed vitamin D status by analyzing each person's blood for 25-hydroxyvitamin D -- a precursor activated vitamin D. The researchers looked at how quickly each participant could walk a short distance about, six yards, and rise from a chair five times, as well as balance tests. The study found physical function declined during the study period, but it remained significantly higher among those with the highest vitamin D levels at the beginning of the study. However, Houston said it is possible those with better physical function had higher vitamin D because they were able to go outside more often and get the vitamin through exposure to sunshine. The findings were presented at the American Society for Nutrition at the Experimental Biology meeting in Anaheim, Calif.
The Brilliance of Humanity
A man and his wife arrived at an automobile dealership to pick up their car, but were told that the keys had been accidentally locked in it.
They went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver's side door. As they watched from the passenger's side, the guy instinctively tried the door handle and discovered it was open.
"Hey," the man announced to the technician, "It's open!"
"I know," answered the young man. "I already got that side."
Stolen Checks and Stupidity
This story starts with a few stolen checks but ends with simple stupidity. I had to take my son to a doctor’s appointment today and afterwards was hoping to pay for and pick up the new registration for my car. I took my checkbook then and tossed it into my car’s glove box before going to the doctors. We were running a little late so my son and I hurried into the office without locking up the car. The appointment went well and I headed off next to pay for the new car registration. It was only there that I saw that my last few checks had been stolen. I looked at the check register and the last one I had written was four short of the end of the booklet. I raced out of the building and rushed to the bank in order to put a stop payment on my stolen checks.
I was angry more at myself than at the person who had taken my checks. I was also a bit sad because my faith in humanity had been shaken a little. I got to the bank in record time and hurried in. I told the teller what had happened and she checked to see if any of the checks had been used. To the surprise of us both she found that the checks had been cashed days earlier and for the exact amount of my last four bills. It was then that I flipped the check register page back and saw that I had written down a check ending in 97 as a 94. After that mistake had followed mistake down the next page. No checks had been stolen. I had just stupidly written the wrong numbers in the register and also failed to notice that it was I who had ripped out the last check in the booklet. I laughed at myself and thanked the teller for her help. My brain felt old and I felt foolish, but I thanked God that my faith in humanity had been restored.
I will take a little humbling any day to keep my faith in humanity going strong. In this crazy, modern society it is easy to forget that this world is full of good, caring, and loving people. We are all God’s Children. May we always see His light shining in each other.
~ Joseph J. Mazzella ~
From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of IL - 05/01/10 - "mental challenger":
|A quiz for people who know
everything! There are only nine questions.
This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.
1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?
3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?
5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?
6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters 'dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.
7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?
8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'
Answers To Quiz:
1.The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends: Boxing.
2. North American landmark constantly moving backward: Niagara Falls.
(The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)
3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons: Asparagus and rhubarb.
4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside: Strawberry.
5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle.
The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.
6. Three English words beginning with dw: Dwarf, dwell and dwindle...
7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar: Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe,question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.
8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh: Lettuce.
9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with 'S': Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.
PLEASE DO YOUR PART... Today is National Mental Health Day.
You can do your part by remembering to send this e-mail to at least one person. Well, my job's done!
Just don't send it back to me. I've already flunked it once!
Thanks, Dools! YIKES! I only answered five correctly (#4, 5, 6, 7, and 9)!
And what about "dweeb"??
From Jane Chambers of VA - 04/16/10 - "(A Very Cool Surprise Which I'm Reserving for As Soon As I Catch Up to Myself)":
|WOWZERONI! Thanks so much, Jane!|
From Jane Chambers of VA - 07/01/09 AND 02/07/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD" AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA:
Contact Dr. Chambers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From ArcaMax Jokes - 05/01/10:
|A Letter to Your Cats and/or
The dishes with the paw print are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.
The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.
I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort.
Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.
For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, bark, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered.
Also, I have been using the bathroom for years - canine or feline attendance is not mandatory.
The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough!
To pacify you, my dear pets, I have posted these 'Rules' on our front door.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
|1. Saturday, June 12,
2010 - George Wythe
Schools Closing Celebration.
Contact Glory Gill (Wythe school nurse) at 727-2965 /
with any questions or to contribute old memories -
OPEN TO PUBLIC
2. Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1970 will hold its 40-Year Reunion. Saturday night will be at the Kiln Creek Golf & Country Club. For details, contact Carol Comer Cutler at email@example.com or visit the reunion website at NNHS1970Reunion.myevent.com - CLASS OF 1970
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 6, 7, and 8, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1960 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott Newport News at City Center. For details, contact Karen Weinstein Witte at firstname.lastname@example.org - CLASS OF 1960
4. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their 65th Birthdays at a Party on Saturday, October 9, 2010 at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview, Yorktown, VA from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM. For details, contact Susie Overton Jones at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1963
5. Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion at the Point Plaza Hotel, 950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News, VA 23601. For details, contact Dave Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965
6. Saturday, April 30, 2011 - The NNHS Class of 1954 will have a LUNCHEON. Mickey Marcella email@example.com (757) 249-3800, Betty Hamby Neher, firstname.lastname@example.org (757) 898-5099 and Dr. Harry Simpson email@example.com (804) 694-0346 will be the team leaders. - CLASS OF 1954
7. July 2011- The Class of 1971 is planning a 40-Year Reunion. A planning committee has been formed and held their first meeting recently. In an effort to connect with as many class members as possible, they are asking anyone interested in the Class of '71 reunion to contact Richard Rawls. Please provide your name, address, phone number(s) and email address so that they can be in touch with you when final arrangements are made. It has been 20 years since their last class reunion and they are looking forward to seeing everyone again. Send your contact information to: Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 04/30/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 08/04/09
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
To donate, click on the Donate Button on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks! firstname.lastname@example.org
Jackie Wilson (09 June 1934 – 21 Jan 1984), 1967
Your love, lifting me higher
and Higher" midi courtesy of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/23/10
"Higher and Higher"lyrics courtesy
"Your Love Is Lifting Me Higher" Image courtesy
AnimatedDivider Line 305 clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/tx5280/lines7.html - 05/01/10
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Collinsville High School (IL) Logo courtesy of http://www.kahoks.org/chs/ - 09/22/07
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965