NNHS Newsletter -
“I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln18MAoO4O0 - Easy to Be Hard - Jennifer Warnes
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVUoO--DsG4&NR=1 - Easy to Be Hard - Three Dog Night, December 1969
BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zcccRK9UA&NR=1 - Easy to Be Hard - Emily Norman, 2008
From Pat Beck Letzinger ('57) of VA - 04/30/10, 12:59 AM - "Sad News":
Re: Barbara Kemp Bostwick – Class of 1957
Barbara was diagnosed with terminal cancer in November 2009. She chose to share that information with all her Classmates this month.
She has hopes of attending the Class Picnic in June. Please ask all the NNHS Alumni who knew Barbara in school to please keep her on their prayer lists and support her with their phone calls and cards, as I'm sure Barbara can use lots of encouragement at this time.
Barbara Kemp Bostwick - Kemp75@mchsi.com
(address and phone number in NC available upon request)
Pat Beck Letzinger
Class of '57
Oh, Pat, I'm so very sorry to learn this! I've place Barbara's name on our Prayer Roll. Among our readers are many valiant prayer warriors who will gladly add Barbara to their prayers - whether they know her or not!
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday tomorrow to The Head Cheerleader of 1958, Evelyn Fryer Fish of TX!
Happy Birthday this week to:
02 - Billy Turner ('65) of TX AND My Granddaughter, Rachel Harty (Collinsville HS, IL - '14) of IL;
03 - Pauline Collins Shofner ('65) of VA;
04 - Wanda Hodge Underwood ('57);
05 - Jane Penn Clark ('57) AND Tom Jones (Warwick HS - '60) of VA;
06 - Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) AND (according to Plaxo) Norman Olshansky ('64) of FL AND Van Rowell ('65) of NC;
07 - Judy Abbott Copes ('57)!
|Many Happy Returns to You All!|
TODAY IN WWII:
April 30, 1943 -
Operation Mincemeat: The submarine
HMS Seraph surfaced in the
Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Spain to deposit 'the man who never was,'
a dead man planted with false invasion plans and dressed as a
British military intelligence officer.
April 30, 1945 - Fuehrerbunker: Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun committed suicide. They had been married for one day. Soviet soldiers raised the Victory Banner over the Reichstag building. One week later Germany surrendered unconditionally.
April 30, 1981 - U.S. President Reagan participated in a ceremony at the White House for the first annual commemoration of "Days of Remembrance of Victims of the Holocaust". The event was sponsored by the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Council.
TODAY IN 1965:
Friday, April 30, 1965 - Actor Adrian Pasdar was born in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.
From Glenn Dye ('60) of TX - 04/29/10, 9:05 PM:
I noticed on the list in this Thursday newsletter, you had me Class of 1958. It should have been 1960.
YIKES! I'm so sorry, Glenn!
Remember in the announcement I said I had been fighting computer issues, both real and imagined, all day?? This atrocious blooper is a direct result of one of the real issues. You see, three or four years ago, in an attempt to avoid blunders of this very type, I set up a special working page where I could just lift the names and images of frequent correspondents and copy and paste them onto each Newsletter. That especially kept me from "moving" people back to the Sacred Soil at will from wherever they might actually happen to be living, as well as accidentally omitting military seals.
Yesterday because of those real computer difficulties, I was forced to enter all those names and images manually - which left entirely entirely too much room for error - especially considering my (by then) frazzled nerves.
I corrected this on both the Newsletter and the Fun to Remember page late last night:
Thanks so much for pointing it out to me!
From Phil Hammond ('64) of UT - 04/29/10 - "Summer in the Mountains":
We have been pounded with snow today and it is expected to continue. Will it ever end!
|The picture of the lift with red buckets is showing how we load test a lift. The buckets contain water to equal 170 lbs. times 3 people for a 3 seat lift chair. The load test allows us to monitor many aspects of operation so we don't have any accidents with people on them in the winter.|
|Thursday, April 29, 2010 - Park City, Utah|
Just another note of what we do at a ski resort in the summer, if it ever gets here.
OH, WOW!!! Who knew?? Thanks, Phil!
From Jane Chambers of VA - 04/16/10 - "(A Very Cool Surprise Which I'm Reserving for As Soon As I Catch Up to Myself)":
|WOWZERONI! Thanks so much, Jane!|
From Jane Chambers of VA - 07/01/09 AND 02/07/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD" AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA:
Contact Dr. Chambers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From ArcaMax Jokes - 04/29/10:
|The Rules of Chocolate
- If you've got melted chocolate all over your hands, you're eating it too slowly.
- Chocolate covered raisins, cherries, orange slices & strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want.
- The problem: How to get 2 pounds of chocolate home from the store in a hot car. The solution: Eat it in the parking lot.
- Diet tip: Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It'll take the edge off your appetite, and you'll eat less.
- If calories are an issue, store your chocolate on top of the fridge. Calories are afraid of heights, and they will jump out of the chocolate to protect themselves.
- If I eat equal amounts of dark chocolate and white chocolate, is that a balanced diet? Don't they actually counteract each other?
DATES TO REMEMBER:
|1. Saturday, June 12,
2010 - George Wythe
Schools Closing Celebration.
Contact Glory Gill (Wythe school nurse) at 727-2965 /
with any questions or to contribute old memories -
OPEN TO PUBLIC
2. Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1970 will hold its 40-Year Reunion. Saturday night will be at the Kiln Creek Golf & Country Club. For details, contact Carol Comer Cutler at email@example.com or visit the reunion website at NNHS1970Reunion.myevent.com - CLASS OF 1970
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 6, 7, and 8, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1960 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott Newport News at City Center. For details, contact Karen Weinstein Witte at firstname.lastname@example.org - CLASS OF 1960
4. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their 65th Birthdays at a Party on Saturday, October 9, 2010 at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview, Yorktown, VA from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM. For details, contact Susie Overton Jones at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1963
5. Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion at the Point Plaza Hotel, 950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News, VA 23601. For details, contact Dave Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965
6. Saturday, April 30, 2011 - The NNHS Class of 1954 will have a LUNCHEON. Mickey Marcella email@example.com (757) 249-3800, Betty Hamby Neher, firstname.lastname@example.org (757) 898-5099 and Dr. Harry Simpson email@example.com (804) 694-0346 will be the team leaders. - CLASS OF 1954
7. July 2011- The Class of 1971 is planning a 40-Year Reunion. A planning committee has been formed and held their first meeting recently. In an effort to connect with as many class members as possible, they are asking anyone interested in the Class of '71 reunion to contact Richard Rawls. Please provide your name, address, phone number(s) and email address so that they can be in touch with you when final arrangements are made. It has been 20 years since their last class reunion and they are looking forward to seeing everyone again. Send your contact information to: Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 04/30/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 08/04/09
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
To donate, click on the Donate Button on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks! firstname.lastname@example.org
Easy to Be Hard
Lyrics by James Rado (b. 23 Jan 1932) andGerome Ragni (11 Sept 1935 - 10 July 1991)
Music by Galt MacDermot (b. 18 Dec 1928) for Hair, 1967
How can people be so heartless
to Be Hard" midi courtesy of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/23/10
"Easy to Be Hard"lyrics courtesy
Heartless Image of courtesy of http://www.myyearbook.com/?mysession=cmVnaXN0cmF0aW9uX3Byb2ZpbGUmdXNlcmlkPTI1MTM3NTcz - 04/30/10
Red Leaf Bar 49 Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.iconbazaar.com/bars/botanical/pg19.html - 11/14/05
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Collinsville High School (IL) Logo courtesy of http://www.kahoks.org/chs/ - 09/22/07
OOPS! Smiley Face clip art courtesy of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 02/27/09
Embarrassed Smiley clip art courtesy of http://www.pdclipart.org/displayimage.php?album=108&pos=96 - 03/01/09
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965