NNHS Newsletter -
“We would accomplish many more things
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Mission: Impossible. I'm beginning to think that's the right phrase for my trying to catch up with myself.....
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k55NuWQCh78 - Mission: Impossible - Opening Montage 1
Lalo Schifrin (born June 21, 1932) is an Argentine composer, pianist and conductor. He is best known for his film and TV scores, such as the Mission: Impossible theme. He has received four Grammy Awards and six Oscar nominations.
Schifrin was born Boris Claudio Schifrin in Buenos Aires. His father, Luis Schifrin, led the second violin section of the orchestra at the Teatro Colón for three decades. At the age of six, Schifrin began a six-year course of study on piano with Enrique Barenboim, the father of the pianist and conductor Daniel Barenboim. At age 16, Schifrin began studying piano with the Russian expatriate Andreas Karalis, former head of the Kiev Conservatory, and harmony with Argentine composer Juan-Carlos Paz. During this time, Schifrin also became interested in jazz.....
One of Schifrin's most recognizable and enduring compositions is the theme music for the long-running TV series Mission: Impossible. It is a distinctive tune written in the uncommon 5/4 time signature.
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Brenda Davis English ('64) of KS AND Mike Sagman ('66) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
01 - The Head Cheerleader of 1958, Evelyn Fryer Fish of TX;
02 - Billy Turner ('65) of TX AND My Granddaughter, Rachel Harty (Collinsville HS, IL - '14) of IL;
03 - Pauline Collins Shofner ('65) of VA;
04 - Wanda Hodge Underwood ('57);
05 - Jane Penn Clark ('57) AND Tom Jones (Warwick HS - '60) of VA!
|Many Happy Returns to You All!|
TODAY IN WWII:
April 28, 1945 -
Benito Mussolini and his mistress
Petacci were executed by a firing squad consisting of members of the
Italian resistance movement as they attempted to flee the country.
April 28, 1946 - The Allies indicted Tojo with 55 counts of war crimes.
April 28, 1952 - Occupied Japan: The United States occupation of Japan ended as the Treaty of San Francisco, a treaty with the U.S. and 47 other countries which was ratified on September 8, 1951, went into effect.
TODAY IN 1965:
Wednesday, April 28, 1965 - United States troops landed in the Dominican Republic to "forestall establishment of a Communist dictatorship" and to evacuate U.S. Army troops.
Wednesday, April 28, 1965 - Voice actor Steven Blum was born in Santa Monica, California.
From F.A. Saunders (Hampton HS - '64) of VA- 04/27/10, 7:53 AM - "The Varsity Shop":
I know a lot of your readers would like to know about the passing of Pop Lamkin, especially Chandler Nelms (Hampton HS - '63 - of MD) as Chandler worked at the Varsity Shop in high school. Many folks knew Pop and it is with sadness I pass this on to you and to those who knew a great guy.
F.A. Saunders HHS 64
Thank you so much for pointing this out to me, F.A. I read this obituary thinking how familiar the name seemed to me, but caught the Hampton High reference, and thought it must not apply. The character of the man shone through, but I somehow missed the mention of the Varsity Shop and its significance altogether. My condolences to you and all those who knew and loved him.
I put in some extra links as I won't be sending more out 'til Sunday, except pics. of the kitten.
3D -Trance In Excess
Gaga - Paparazzi (The Sims 2) HD --(animated pop) great song and wtf video, albeit different.
Alice in Chains - Rotten Apple (alt. rock)
Pearl Jam - Breath -Seattle '91 (rock)
From Jane Chambers of VA - 04/16/10 - "(A Very Cool Surprise Which I'm Reserving for As Soon As I Catch Up to Myself)":
|WOWZERONI! Thanks so much, Jane!|
From Jane Chambers of VA - 07/01/09 AND 02/07/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD" AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA:
Contact Dr. Chambers at email@example.com.
From ArcaMax Jokes - 04/27/10:
|Home Cooked Meal
A young man called his mother and announced excitedly that he had just met the woman of his dreams. Now what should he do?
His mother had an idea: "Why don't you send her flowers, and on the card invite her to your apartment for a home-cooked meal?"
He thought this was a great strategy, and arranged a date for a week later. His mother called the day after the big date to see how things had gone.
"The evening was a disaster," he moaned.
"Why, didn't she come over?" asked his mother.
"Oh, she came over, but she refused to cook...."
DATES TO REMEMBER:
|1. Saturday, June 12,
2010 - George Wythe
Schools Closing Celebration.
Contact Glory Gill (Wythe school nurse) at 727-2965 /
with any questions or to contribute old memories -
OPEN TO PUBLIC
2. Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1970 will hold its 40-Year Reunion. Saturday night will be at the Kiln Creek Golf & Country Club. For details, contact Carol Comer Cutler at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the reunion website at NNHS1970Reunion.myevent.com - CLASS OF 1970
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 6, 7, and 8, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1960 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott Newport News at City Center. For details, contact Karen Weinstein Witte at email@example.com - CLASS OF 1960
4. Saturday, October 9, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1963 will celebrate their 65th Birthdays at a Party on Saturday, October 9, 2010 at the Virginia Power Clubhouse, 1701 Waterview, Yorktown, VA from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM. For details, contact Susie Overton Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org - CLASS OF 1963
5. Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion at the Point Plaza Hotel, 950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News, VA 23601. For details, contact Dave Arnold at email@example.com - OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, HOSTED BY THE CLASS OF 1965
6. Saturday, April 30, 2011 - The NNHS Class of 1954 will have a LUNCHEON. Mickey Marcella firstname.lastname@example.org (757) 249-3800, Betty Hamby Neher, email@example.com (757) 898-5099 and Dr. Harry Simpson firstname.lastname@example.org (804) 694-0346 will be the team leaders. - CLASS OF 1954
7. July 2011- The Class of 1971 is planning a 40-Year Reunion. A planning committee has been formed and held their first meeting recently. In an effort to connect with as many class members as possible, they are asking anyone interested in the Class of '71 reunion to contact Richard Rawls. Please provide your name, address, phone number(s) and email address so that they can be in touch with you when final arrangements are made. It has been 20 years since their last class reunion and they are looking forward to seeing everyone again. Send your contact information to: Richard@Rawls.com - CLASS OF 1971
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 04/11/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 08/04/09
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
To donate, click on the Donate Button on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks! email@example.com
Composed byLalo Schifrin (b. 21 June 1932), 1966
Impossible" midi courtesy of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/23/10
"Mission Impossible" Title Image courtesy of http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews27/mission_impossible_season1.htm - 04/28/10
Animated Silly Bear (designed by AF Artist - Ryan Hagen) courtesy of http://www.animationfactory.com - 10/04/05
Golden Bar Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://onyxk8.tripod.com/bars11.html - 01/30/10 (sic)
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Collinsville High School (IL) Logo courtesy of http://www.kahoks.org/chs/ - 09/22/07
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of
http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Replaced courtesy of http://www.hamptonhigh1964.com - 02/17/09
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965