04/26/08 - NNHS Newsletter -
“The walls we build around us to keep sadness out
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Few singers have ever equaled the soothing velvet tones of Jim Reeves insofar as "comfort sounds". I don't know about you, but I'm in the mood for some comfort right about now.
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRiXEBU3W40 - Jim Reeves - Four Walls
BIRTHDAYS - TODAY AND UPCOMING:
Happy Birthday today toDeanna Steele Capps ('57) AND Becky Braswell Branch ('65) of AR!
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Bill Campbell ('54) of VA AND Genis Bird Crowder Hornsby ('54) AND Barbara Jones ('54);
this week to:
29 - Brenda Davis English ('64) of KS AND Mike Sagman ('66) of VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
GUEST BOOK SIGNERS:
1. Joe Wise ('54) of PA - 04/25/08:
ALERT - TONIGHT:
From Bill Black ('66) of GA to Dee Hodges Bartram ('66) of VA - 04/21/08 - "'Well, I Guess I'm Back' Premiere":
I've spoken to
Le'Royce E. Bratsveen
about ticket sales for my little play reading this coming Saturday night, and
she paints a pretty bleak picture. There'll be an ad in Thursday's Daily Press,
and David Nicholson might be running a story in Friday's paper.
Dick Lamb will almost definitely have me on the air
at 92.9 the Wave one day this week, and there's a slim possibility I'll
actually be on-camera with WTKR's noon news. All of that is last minute stuff,
so I hope people would still to be able to make plans to attend the reading.
The reading of Bill Black's play, "Well I Guess I'm Back" is this Saturday night, April 26th, 8PM at the Dr. Mary Christian Auditorium at Thomas Nelson Community College. Tickets are $12.00. Bill says: "Don't let the fact that the name Jim Quinn appears as the playwright, it's me, but that's the air name I used for many years at the Sooper Q, WTAR, and WRVA in Richmond. I thought it would help me with the media publicity, but that ain't happened, so the whole evening might turn out to be the second stupidest thing I ever did on the Peninsula. The first was when I stood up at Mouse Assembly our senior year and described the in-coming eighth graders by saying: "Don't mock the afflicted...." Which I hope everyone remembers as a line from "A Hard Day's Night"... Huh? The Beatles' first movie...What? Those four guys from Liverpool .. Never mind.."
Anyone interested? Hopefully everyone saw "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" last weekend, so there's nothing else worth seeing at the movies. Call Le'Royce Bratsveen, artistic director of Iron Street Productions, at 244-8937. Call often, buy lots of tickets. One of you on the mailing list has knowledge of at least one of the other stupid things I've done. I think I'll recognize you; just tug on your ear in case I don't. It's been a long time.
And if any of you
can't attend, call
Edwards ('67) at Floral Fashions, 868-0405, for a suitable memorial
arrangement. If you all pool your money, it won't cost much.
Oh! What's "Well, I Guess I'm Back?" all about? It's a love story, basically, and the third stupidest thing I've ever done... Anything else, ya gotta pay. But that also lets you rip me to bits at the Q&A afterwards. Careful, though, the director and the cast are on all my side.
Thanks, Dee. Hope you can come.
Thank you, Bill! I certainly wish I could be there myself, but that isn't possible right now. The rest of y'all have a great evening in store - so BUY THOSE TICKETS!!!
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 04/23/08, 9:26 PM:
Dave Arnold ('65 - of VA) and I are attending Bill Black's ('66 - of GA) play reading; Pam (Smith Arnold - '65 - of VA) cannot make it.
SUPER-DE-DUPER!!! I trust, Captain, that you'll have your Wonder Camera with you to capture some close-ups for the rest of us! Thanks, David!
From Bob Parrish ('68) of Northern VA - 04/24/08, 1:24 PM:
AWW!!! I'm so sorry you'll miss it, Bob, but I'll pass your note along to Bill! Thanks!
1. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA:
From Wayne Stokes ('65) of VA - 04/25/08:
YOWZERONI-WOWZERONI-RINI!!! Being personally opposed to pain, and quite loathe to knowing that anyone has to endure such, I can assure you that our prayers for Linda will continue! Thanks, Wayne Honey!
From My Sister, Eleanor Buckley Nowitzky ('59) of NC - 04/21/08 - "":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG2ZqRMC4DU - Caribbean cruise - April 12-19, 2008
Cast of Characters: Eleanor Buckley Nowitzky ('59) of NC; her younger daughter, Renee Dick Wallace (Booker T. Washington HS - '80) (plus her youngest daughter, Shannon) of Northern VA ; her son, Kevin Dick (Weber HS, UT - '82), his wife, Leslie Ezzell Dick (plus their three sons, Jacob, Pier, and Bogue) of NC; and Rennie Dick ('54) of VA and his wife, Lita.
WOWZERONI-RINI!!! What fun y'all had! Thanks for sharing this with us, Eleanor - and great job on creating the video, Guys!
From Joe Madagan ('57) of FL - 04/23/08:
Welllll, Sweet Adonis, that's probably a bit premature; I'm only about half done now - but at least they all look a little better until I can start on them in earnest! Wait'll you see what I have in mind! But thanks!
Now, Joe, who would say such a
horrible thing?!? Certainly not I!
I've been madly in love with the
entire Corps since I was two years and four months old!
WOWZERS!!! Thank you, Major Madagan!
From Sepi Dinwiddie Prichard ('58) of NC - 04/23/08 - "Fire at the Tank Farm":
We didn't see him until the next day, and he came walking up the sidewalk covered with black soot, his eyes red from the smoke and lack of sleep. He looked so bad our dog, Tina, barked at him; not even his dog could catch his scent. He took a well needed shower and tried to sleep, but four hours was all he could manage; he had to get back to that fire ! We saw him again the next day.
There were many classmates
in the class of '58 whose fathers were firefighters also, I am sure they
shared the fear for their fathers as much as we did. We were terrified
until Daddy was home safe at last and the last flame was extinguished !
Dimples aka Sepi
WOWZERONI! Thanks, Dimples! My memory of that day involves my daddy too, but in an entirely different way.....
We'll return to that later, but for now, I've posted your comments:
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '54) of VA - 04/23/08:
YOWZERS - another two disasters?!? These are new to me.
From Jerry Blanchard ('62) of VA - 04/24/08 - "I ain't got a barrel of money!":
This is from all the Gold and Blue TYPHOONS that love you for your efforts to keep us united and updated on events. Lady, you're really special to us all...
Jerry B. (Class of 62)
OH, WOW, Jerry! How super sweet! Thank you so much; I really appreciate that!
From Joe Madagan ('57) of FL - 04/25/08, 11:31 AM - "RE: 04/25/08 - Peppermint Twist":
What a charming memory! Thank you, Joe!
I posted it on that page:
From Robert Price ('61) of VA - 04/25/08, 12:34 PM - "The Beacon and other post":
After reading the Beacon postings with interest then seeing the piece on Russell Maynard, then looking at
the memorial section of the ‘61 class, then reading the comment from Jo Ann Stewart ('64 - of Northern VA) “I knew him and have always thought that if I had seen him that maybe I could have comforted him and at least he could have seen a familiar face as he died instead of strangers.” That was followed by Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 04/22/08 - "I Wish You Enough", and I was a little down.
Then I remembered reading the lyrics of a song by Reba McEntire. I’ve
never heard the song but I keep the words, I found on the 'net, on my computer
and read them occasionally to remind me of losses we face through poor choices
as well as things we have no control over. I thought I’d share:
If you'd like to have the rest of your heart pulled right out of your chest, here's the video of Reba singing her song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeKv_qc_aOo - If I Had Only Known
Thank you so much for your thoughts, Robert!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancer last week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"; update of 04/14/08: "now dealing with a blood clot in his pic line; receiving daily injections in the abdomen and taking antibiotics and blood thinners; feels pretty good in spite of everything and his ATTITUDE is great---as usual"; update of update of 04/24/08: "no longer taking daily abdominal injections for blood clot that developed a few weeks ago; everything is looking pretty good. The PET scan will be in the next few weeks. We are expecting good results."
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups..... ; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08
6. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - still in pain, running a fever; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08
7. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08; update of 03/22/08: recovering nicely
8. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08; update of 04/14/08 -"at home recuperating"
9. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"
10. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA - recovering from surgery on her ankle; update of 04/05/08: "has had a cast reapplied and then replaced in the past 2 weeks, and will have to have the pin in her ankle replaced on April 22nd. She is in good spirits and gets around on a little scooter. She can't use crutches because of back surgery fairly recently. She has a lot of pain and discomfort with that, too"; update of 04/14/08: "doing better and sounded great (on 04/12)"; update of 04/24/08 - "did pretty well on her surgery Tuesday to replace that pin in her ankle. She will be going with (the Allens) to OBX this weekend to celebrate";
11.Jesse Kersey ('58) of VA: update of 04/14/08 - "remains hospitalized, continues to undergo tests, and doctors suspect the problem may be thyroid related"; update of 04/18/08 - SEE ABOVE
12. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"; update of 04/25/08: SEE ABOVE
13. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
14. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!
15. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"
16. All of Us
1. Saturday, April 26, 2008 - EVERYONE - 22nd Annual "Almost World Famous" Sertoma Sock Hop, Lakeland, FL
2. Saturday, April 26, 2008 - EVERYONE - the Mary Christian Auditorium, Thomas Nelson Community College, reception at 6:30, reading at 8:00, Q&A with the playwright - Bill Black (a.k.a. Jim Quinn) ('66) of GA, director, and cast afterwards - 757-224-8937; www.ironstreetproductions.com
3. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1958.html - 03/18/08
4.Saturday, June 7, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1957 AND OTHER NNHS ALUMNI
5. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
6. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008- NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 03/31/08 - "Don't do this" (#14 in a Series of 23):
I hope you get all the pictures!!! Also notice that most all the pictures have men in them!! And they say women are dumb!!! These guys don't even have the "blonde" excuse.
These are very good examples of things that we should NOT do at home, work, or any where else for that matter.
YOWZERONI-RINI!!! Thanks, Joyce!
|No problem, I can see through the holes.|
Once again, his edition has been ripped apart due to length and time constraints, but the good news is, that means we'll need more issues!
Have a Blessed Passover! Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
- Marvin Moore and George Campbell, 1957
Out where the bright lights are glowing
You're drawn like a moth to a flame
You laugh while the wine's over-flowing
While I sit and whisper your name
Four walls to hear me
Four walls to see
Four walls too near me
Closing in on me
Sometimes I ask why I'm waiting
But my walls have nothing to say
I'm made for love, not for waiting
But here where you've left me, I'll stay
Four walls to hear me
Four walls to see
Four walls too near me
Closing in on me
One night with you is like heaven
And so, while I'm walking the floor
I'll listen for steps in the hallway
And wait for your knock on my door
Four walls to hear me
Four walls to see
Four walls too near me
Closing in on me
"Four Walls" midi courtesy of http://strawberrylady.com/music/thebarn.htm - 04/24/08
"Four Walls" lyrics courtesy of http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/classic-country/four-walls---jim-reeves-14951.html - 04/24/08
Art Walls Image courtesy of http://www.thedigitalartshop.com/art_gallery/art_gallery.html - 04/24/08
Golden Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars9.html – 03/09/06
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al
Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Animated Guest Book clip art courtesy of http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/guestbook-gifs.html - 03/07/06
Crying Baby clip art courtesy of http://www.barbspics.com/baby/babypage06index.html - 09/28/05
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Animated Yehaa Typhoon
clip art also courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 08/18/05
Thanks again, Al!
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Booker T. Washington logo courtesy of http://ww2.nps.k12.va.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=18567 - 09/25/07
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South Pacific
Thanks again, Herbie!
Animated Rolling on the Floor Laughing Boy courtesy of http://www.animationfactory.com - 04/06/05
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965