04/14/08 - NNHS Newsletter -
"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the
Friends and Schoolmates,
Today's theme song - ranked #125 among Rolling Stone's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time - was originally used three years ago today, courtesy of Our Wizard of Wonderment, Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA:
Thanks again, David!
BONUS #1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmWRjjpBlWw - The Shirelles, 1961 - interspersed with some great vintage clips
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHvoNmBLhVI - The Shirelles, 1961 (no video, but better audio)
BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XFLruFA-9Y - Carole King in concert (subtitled in both English and Spanish)
BONUS #4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjEqmtHfFpo - Carole King with rotating stills
BONUS #5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRMvSI-4GWI - the Bee Gees, 1995 (which Carole King called "the definitive version")
BIRTHDAYS - TODAY AND UPCOMING:
Happy Birthday today to Linda DeShazo Hatchett (’65) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
17 - David Jones ('57);
18 - Monty Phillips ('62) of VA AND Bill Wolfley ('70) of VA;
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
HEALTH ALERTS AND UPDATES:
1.Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA:
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 04/10/08 - "Spinal correction":
|This is why Emily is
still felling such bad pain.
YOWZERONI-RINI!!! Thanks for showing us, Shari! Kiss your angel for us!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 04/14/08, 10:31 AM - "PRAYER REQUEST":
YOWZERONI-RINI-ROONI!!! I added several prayers for Emily as soon as I found your note, Shari! I hope by now her fever has somehow abated!
2. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA and 3.Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA:
From Judy Phillips Allen ('66) of VA - 04/13/08 - "Update":
I just want to give you a quick update on Jerry and ask for continued prayers and give thanks, too. He is now dealing with a blood clot in his pic line (spelling ?). He is receiving daily injections in the abdomen and taking antibiotics and blood thinners. He feels pretty good in spite of everything and his ATTITUDE is great---as usual.
Um yeah, I'd like to hear that myself, Judy! Maybe tomorrow..... Thanks so much - and give your sweet husband a hug for me!
4. Jesse Kersey ('58) of VA:
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA - 04/13/08 - "Update on our classmate, Jesse Ray Kersey":
Dear NNHS Class of 1958,
Jesse Kersey experienced an elevated heart rate on a flight to NY several days ago. He went to the hospital on arrival and tests indicated that he had not had a heart attack, stroke or other serious health issue.
It is my understanding from talking to his daughter-in-law (Bryan's wife) this morning, that he remains hospitalized, continues to undergo tests, and doctors suspect the problem may be thyroid related.
I will provide more information when available and after discussing it with Jesse.
I know many of you have received emails that have been circulating and encourage you to quell the heart attack rumor.
Uh-OH!!! I hadn't heard that rumor, Joe, but I'll do my best to help dispel it. I added Jesse to our Prayer List; please give him our best - and thanks for letting us know!
5. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA and 6. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA:
From Richard Rawls ('71) of VA - 04/14/08, 8:26 AM - "Fran Scott update":
Shown here is an update on Fran Scott and her husband Tommy. They are both members of the church I attend and the following information was provided yesterday:
Both Tommy and Fran are at home recuperating. Tommy's medical condition is such that he cannot be left alone and Fran is doing all she can for him while recovering from her own medical problems. Please keep them in your prayers.
(Exact details of their medical problems were not shared at Church)
YOWZERONI!!! I had so hoped that Frances would have been all better by now, and I'd heard nothing of Tommy's not being well. I added him to our Prayer List. Thanks so much for this report, Richard!
7. Herb Hice of MI:
From Sepi Dinwiddie Prichard ('58) of NC - 04/14/08 - "Our Herbie'":
Dear Carol and Typhoon Family....
I spoke once again with Heidi (Hice MacKay - of MI) this morning and although she didn't think that Herbie had any changes since last week, when I asked her about vital signs and medications, she said his vital signs were strong and that he was not on any medications ! He has been sedated more than usual because his doctors are running more tests to see if they can find anything that might be hidden and maybe will show up with more tests. He was awake yesterday when the family visited, and will blink his eyes if Heidi asks him to. But otherwise...no response. The doctors are puzzled and Heidi says she gets a different answer from each doctor whenever she asks a question. She and the rest of the family are very frustrated. She did not sound quite as anxious today and is hoping that the tests will reveal a clue as to why he remains in the state that he is in. Of course we need to continue our prayers for Herbie and his adoring family; they are counting on us for our prayers ! The family appreciates us and our concern and above all our prayers. Heidi once again extended her thanks to all of us for caring so much about her beloved Dad !
Dimples aka Sepi
We do love that Herbie so - and we're so thankful that you stay in such close contact with Heidi, Dimples! Thanks so very much! We'll continue our payers for him - as we have from the onset.
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 04/12/08 - "BEACON - 20 JAN 1964 (Part 2 of 2)":
Now we begin the
Beacons from 1964.
|Friday, January 20, 1964||Friday, January 20, 1964||Friday, January 20, 1964||Friday, January 20, 1964|
|Page Three - TOP||Page Three - BOTTOM||Page Four - TOP||Page Four - BOTTOM|
How very strange! Unlike all the others,I don't seem to recall this issue at all. It was probably released on one of my many "sick days".....
Thank you, Gorgeous! I've posted these newest entries:
From Bill Black - aka "Jim Quinn" - ('66) of GA - 04/13/08 - "Some News from LaFreakin'Grange":
Mark the date April 26th, 8PM at the Mary Christian Auditorium of Thomas Nelson Community College. Tickets $12.00 at the door, or online at www.ironstreetproductions.com. Call 757-224-8937 for more info. There'll also be a wine & cheese reception for the humble playwright at 6:30, "upstairs" at the theatre. Details to follow... Tommy Tech was still pretty new when I left the Peninsula to join Thalhimers, Military Circle, in the seventies. I just hope I don't get lost going there. And everything you see in print will list the playwright as being "Jim Quinn", my radio days alias that I still use for a lot of things I write. Extremely helpful when I want to get something in as a letter to the editor of the LaGrange Daily News... When they contact me to confirm whatever I send them, I just say: "I ain't got no phone; just my computer. And I live in a cardboard box under the overpass beside the river... " And Bill Black is insulated from any potential embarrassment or repercussions.
WOWZERONI-RINI-ROONI!!! Congratulations, Bill - or Jim! And as she's been on my mind a great deal lately, I feel obliged to quote my late best friend, Rose Woodard Groff ('65), who would almost certainly dead-pan to you on this momentous occasion, "Well, Boogah Bear, ain't chu sumpin' ?!?"
I added this information to our Dates to Remember below.
And yes, as you asked, I DID have to use that Byron quotation.....
From Brenda Amos Williams ('62) of VA - 04/13/08:
I noticed that Sydney Dearing ('56 - of TN) had written to you about Nancy (Dearing Berry - '62 - of TX) who you know is in our Class. Please ask if we can have her email address. We have never been able to contact her at least since I have been involved with Class Reunions. We all would love to hear from her.
Thanks, Carol, especially for all you do with the newsletters. What would Typhoons do without you. Feel better quick.
Life may not be the party we hoped for,
but while we are here we might as well dance
Thanks, Brenda - I thought you'd be happy to find her! I forwarded your note to both Nancy and Sydney - which was a good thing, as Nancy's mail was returned to me with some gobbledegook message.
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of VA - 04/13/08 - "Atlanta ATC":
Thought someone from the South might enjoy this!
OOOOOH, that's baaad - GIGGLES! Thanks, Norris!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 04/13/08 - "online jigsaw puzzles":
A friend sent this man's site:
Some of you may remember I used to send power point slides from his site. He has now passed away, but did a service to many. If you go check out the puzzles, you may want to view some of his pretty power point slides and beautiful remarks. I wish I'd sent him a thank you e-mail; meant to and then he passed on.
There's a great lesson in there for all of us who have grand and glorious intentions and never seem to get around to acting on them. As I reflect back over my life, my regrets for the things I never did far outweigh the anguish over the mistakes I made.
Thank you, Shari!
From John Murden ('60) of VA - 04/13/08 - "RE: 04/13/08 - Jefferson's 265th Birthday":
That should be Mr. Jefferson!
GIGGLES!!! I stand corrected, Sir! So much for my "space-saving" attempts! Thanks, John!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1.Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancer last week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"; update of 04/14/08 - SEE ABOVE
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups.....
6. Evelyn Casey Snead ('57) of VA - gallbladder surgery on 03/12/08
7. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - SEE ABOVE
8. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08; update of 03/22/08: recovering nicely
9. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08; update of 04/14/08 - SEE ABOVE
10. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"
11. Heidi Hice MacKay of MI and her Family - stressing over their beloved patriarch since late January 2008; update of 03/17/08: still needing our prayers; update of 04/14/08 - SEE ABOVE
12. Herb Hice of MI and the MacKay Family - triple bypass surgery plus carotid artery cleanup - @ 01/25/08; update of 03/10/08: still being sedated while not on the ventilator, but made it for nine hours on 03/09/08; "holding his own"; update of 03/17/08: not much progress, but no regression, either; update of 03/24/08: "some good days and some bad days; the doctors caring for Herbie are just taking a wait and see approach and playing it by ear day by day"; update of 03/31/08: stays awake longer, off the ventilator longer, now enjoying his beloved opera, card shower requested; update of 04/07/08: "He is still about the same, but some days better, some worse; stays off the vent for as along as eleven hours"; update of 04/14/08 - SEE ABOVE
13. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA - recovering from surgery on her ankle; update of 04/05/08: "has had a cast reapplied and then replaced in the past 2 weeks, and will have to have the pin in her ankle replaced on April 22nd. She is in good spirits and gets around on a little scooter. She can't use crutches because of back surgery fairly recently. She has a lot of pain and discomfort with that, too"; update of 04/14/08 - SEE ABOVE
14. Jesse Kersey ('58) of VA: update of 04/14/08 - SEE ABOVE
15. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"
16. Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) of VA - suffered second massive heart attack - 01/31/08; update of 03/13/08: "is doing very well. She is taking some kind of cardio rehab therapy and she is feeling well enough that she has gone back to work. She's only working 1/2 days..."
17. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
18. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!
19. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - SEE ABOVE
20. Jimmy Shires ('57) of VA - update of 03/30/08: emergency appendectomy caused by ruptured appendix; will be in the hospital 3 - 4 days
21. Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - suffered heart attack 02/13/08
22. All of Us
1. Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 22nd Annual "Almost World Famous" Sertoma Sock Hop, Lakeland, FL
2. Saturday, April 26, 2008 - the Mary Christian Auditorium, Thomas Nelson Community College, reception at 6:30, reading at 8:00, Q&A with the playwright - Bill Black (a.k.a. Jim Quinn) ('66) of GA, director, and cast afterwards - 757-224-8937; www.ironstreetproductions.com
3. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1958.html - 03/18/08
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
4. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 03/31/08 - "Don't do this" (#6 in a Series of 23):
I hope you get all the pictures!!! Also notice that most all the pictures have men in them!! And they say women are dumb!!! These guys don't even have the "blonde" excuse.
These are very good examples of things that we should NOT do at home, work, or any where else for that matter.
YOWZERONI-RINI!!! Thanks, Joyce!
Wonder what HE makes an hour?
It can't be enough.
There's much more to come next time - including an exciting entry from From Bill Lee (Warwick HS - '54) of NC!
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
Words and Music by Gerry Goffin and Carole King
The Shirelles, 1961)
Tonight you're mine completely
You give your love so sweetly
Tonight the light of love is in your eyes
But will you love me tomorrow?
Is this a lasting treasure
Or just a moment's pleasure?
Can I believe the magic of your sighs?
Will you still love me tomorrow?
Tonight with words unspoken
You say that I'm the only one
But will my heart be broken
When the night meets the morning sun?
I'd like to know that your love
Is love I can be sure of
So tell me now, and I won't ask again
Will you still love me tomorrow?
Will you still love me tomorrow?
Still Love Me Tomorrow?"
midi and lyrics courtesy of
at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/08/05
"Morning Jogger" Image courtesy of http://photo1.dukenews.duke.edu/pages/Divinity/Reynolds%20Leadership/ - 04/11/05
"Morning" Image courtesy of http://greta.cs.ioc.ee/~sergei/Pictures/96-97/ - 04/11/05
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Rising Sun Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars9.html - 04/07/05
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Marine Corps Seal clip art
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al
Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965