04/13/08 - NNHS Newsletter
gives one person so much advantage over another
- Thomas Jefferson
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
This observance is supposed to repeat every year:
BIRTHDAYS - TODAY AND UPCOMING:
Happy Birthday today to Gil Hughes ('64)!
Happy Birthday this week to:
Linda DeShazo Hatchett (’65) of
18 - Monty Phillips ('62) of VA AND Bill Wolfley ('70) of VA
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Al Simms ('60) of VA - 04/09/08 - "Guinea Hens and Cats":
I think that he has decided that they are just too big for him to handle since each one is not much different in size than the 10 pound cat. He seems to have decided that they can co-exist.
|Wednesday, April 9, 2008|
WOWZERONI-RINI!!! These shots are just soooo cool! Life is just full of surprises, isn't it?!? Thanks so much, Al!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 04/11/08 - "T-Bone Steaks, Yellow Roses and Friendship":
Every day be thankful for what you have and who you are!
Why, yes, I believe it does. Thank you so much, Joyce!
From Bill Wynne ('63) of MD - 04/12/08:
Thanks, Bill! Ya gotta love this approach!
From Jean Poole Burton ('64) of RI - 04/12/08 - " Nancy Dearing Berry ('62 - of TX)...":
So neat to hear from Nancy Dearing Berry. I remember her very well as she went to Woodrow Wilson and was always so pretty and smiling and happy.
C'est v'rai! Such fun we have here - just like a great dream where everyone you ever knew suddenly appears..... Thanks, Jean!
From Linda May Bond Crayton ('66) of VA to Jerry Gammon ('63) of VA - 04/12/08 - "Bait Shop":
I wanted to tell you that your favorite picture of the bait shop is mine also. Riley (Crayton) and I had that 7-11 beside it for three years. Around 1980. The store sat beside it and back so every time Riley looked out he saw it and wondered (out loud) why he wasn't fishing!
That store was robbed every month since it was opened until we got there and for the next three years it was left alone. A month after we moved to another store, it was robbed every month again! That says a lot about respecting people.
I will think of you each time I think of that store. Your art is special.
Linda May '66
Thank you, Linda May! What a great story!
From Jean Poole Burton ('64) of RI - 04/12/08 - "Finally getting some flowers in Yankeeland...":
My daffodils have finally bloomed on the south side of the house...neighbor's forsythia has popped out this week...I have pansies on the front of the house and they are bravely blooming! No grass cutting yet! It was 65 degrees today and we are all in a state of shock because of the heat wave...I went to Providence to see a play and the sun was shining there but when I got back to Newport it was fog and drizzle...we are in the season of "winter's almost over" which usually lasts until Memorial Day.
YOWZERS-WOWZERS!!! Thanks, Lady - and congratulations!
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 04/12/08 - "BEACON - 20 JAN 1964 (Part 1 of 2)":
Now we begin the
Beacons from 1964.
|Friday, January 20, 1964||Friday, January 20, 1964||Friday, January 20, 1964||Friday, January 20, 1964|
|Page One - TOP||Page One - BOTTOM||Page Two - TOP||Page Two - BOTTOM|
How very strange! Unlike all the others,I don't seem to recall this issue at all. It was probably released on one of my many "sick days".....
Thank you, Gorgeous! I've posted these newest entries:
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1.Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancer last week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups.....
6. Evelyn Casey Snead ('57) of VA - gallbladder surgery on 03/12/08
7. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again
8. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08; update of 03/22/08: recovering nicely
9. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08
10. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"
11. Heidi Hice MacKay of MI and her Family - stressing over their beloved patriarch since late January 2008; update of 03/17/08: still needing our prayers
12. Herb Hice of MI and the MacKay Family - triple bypass surgery plus carotid artery cleanup - @ 01/25/08; update of 03/10/08: still being sedated while not on the ventilator, but made it for nine hours on 03/09/08; "holding his own"; update of 03/17/08: not much progress, but no regression, either; update of 03/24/08: "some good days and some bad days; the doctors caring for Herbie are just taking a wait and see approach and playing it by ear day by day"; update of 03/31/08: stays awake longer, off the ventilator longer, now enjoying his beloved opera, card shower requested; update of 04/07/08: "He is still about the same, but some days better, some worse; stays off the vent for as along as eleven hours."
13. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA - recovering from surgery on her ankle; update of 04/05/08: "has had a cast reapplied and then replaced in the past 2 weeks, and will have to have the pin in her ankle replaced on April 22nd. She is in good spirits and gets around on a little scooter. She can't use crutches because of back surgery fairly recently. She has a lot of pain and discomfort with that, too."
14. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"
15. Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) of VA - suffered second massive heart attack - 01/31/08; update of 03/13/08: "is doing very well. She is taking some kind of cardio rehab therapy and she is feeling well enough that she has gone back to work. She's only working 1/2 days..."
16. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
17. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!
18. Jimmy Shires ('57) of VA - update of 03/30/08: emergency appendectomy caused by ruptured appendix; will be in the hospital 3 - 4 days
19. Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - suffered heart attack 02/13/08
20. All of Us
1. Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 22nd Annual "Almost World Famous" Sertoma Sock Hop, Lakeland, FL
2. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1958.html - 03/18/08
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
4. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 03/31/08 - "Don't do this" (#5 in a Series of 23):
I hope you get all the pictures!!! Also notice that most all the pictures have men in them!! And they say women are dumb!!! These guys don't even have the "blonde" excuse.
These are very good examples of things that we should NOT do at home, work, or any where else for that matter.
YOWZERONI-RINI!!! Thanks, Joyce!
|Shouldn't he be wearing a lifejacket?|
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
John Dickison *, 1778
hand in hand, brave Americans all,
"Liberty Song" midi
(sequenced by Lesley Nelson), lyrics, and history courtesy
of http://www.fssd.org/pgs/pgs_digital_museum/music%20folder/songs.html - 04/13/06
* John Dickison was one of the
leaders of the American Revolution.
He was also a famous lawyer, prominent in the governments of Delaware and Pennsylvania.
First Painting of Jefferson courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/va/TJTruth/ - 04/12/06
Second Painting of Jefferson courtesy of http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal/royal11.htm - 04/12/06
Peach Flowers and Butterflies Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars5.html - 04/05/05
(If you think
it a strange choice, I'll remind you that Mr. Jefferson was a gardener of great
Besides, the colors match the page so nicely. WILD GIGGLES!!!)
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Marine Corps Seal clip art
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al
Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Animated Laughing Kitty courtesy
of Tom Flax ('64) of VA - 06/03/06
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965