- NNHS Newsletter -
“And even if you were in some prison, the walls of which let none of the
Friends and Schoolmates,
We're getting close to the bottom of the barrel, but we're still continuing with our April themes.
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P_MPAydajE - Three Dog Night
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZlHQCgV8HI - Pieces of April - final scenes
BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCWOV2HoyyE - Dave Loggins
this week to:
10 - Skip Wood ('65) of NC;
11 - Brownie Shaffer Haracivet ('62) of VA AND Susan Avent Hill ('66) of VA AND Kathy Cooper ('70) of VA:
12 - Richard Rawls ('71) of VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
HEALTH ALERTS AND UPDATES:
1. Herb Hice of MI:
From Sepi Dinwiddie Prichard ('58) of NC - 04/07/08 - "Herbie'":
Carol and Typhoon Family....
This morning I called Heidi (Hice MacKay - of MI), and the answering machine picked up. Unusual, I thought to myself. An hour later I called again, same thing...my heart sank, but my spirit said, wait, they could be transferring him to the Rehab Center. I waited until about two p.m., and with a prayer on my lips dialed her number again. One, two, three rings...on the third ring she picked up and sounded pleasant and calm. She and the day care kids had been outside in the warm weather playing and she wore them out; they were sleeping when I called, and she was enjoying the peace and quiet !
"How's your Dad ?" I nearly shouted out of relief ! "He is still about the same, but some days better, some worse; stays off the vent for as along as eleven hours." She went on to tell me that she had given him a manicure, and he made faces at her because he was being disturbed; he does it when they brush his teeth too, to let the nurses know that they are annoying him. He is still strong and all tests and vital signs are good.
I wish I could tell you he is at Rehab, but I can't. But he is aware of what is going on. Perhaps what he needs is a Marine Drill Sergeant in his room shouting orders, maybe that would wake him up ! Semper Fi, Herbie.....!
When you are at the grocery, by a card, send it to Herbie, his address is on
last Monday's Newsletter. Do you
want him to think we Typhoons are a bunch of Slackers ? Buy three or four and
send one every week. It could be one of us ! But it is Herbie ! He needs us !
Dimples aka Sepi
Thank you so very much, Dimples! I've been quite nervous all day, waiting for your report. I'm so relieved; we all love and miss Herbie so much! That address again is:
47593 Stephanie Drive
Macomb, MI 48044
2. My Niece Shari's Friend, Gayle - and Aries, Emily's Kitten:
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 04/07/08 - "AN URGENT PRAYER REQUEST!":
Thank you, Shari! We'll pray for Gayle and for you and for Emily - and for Aries, too!
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 04/04/08 - "BEACON - 20 DEC 63: Christmas Issue (Part 2 of 2)":
This is an
interesting issue from an historical standpoint.
I don’t think that current public school newspapers are quite so “overt” in their acknowledgement of Christmas.
|Friday, December 20, 1963||Friday, December 20, 1963||Friday, December 20, 1963||Friday, December 20, 1963||Friday, December 20, 1963||Friday, December 20, 1963|
|Page Four - TOP||Page Four - BOTTOM||Page Five - TOP||Page Five - BOTTOM||Page SIX - TOP||Page Six - BOTTOM|
OH, WOW! I remember
this issue! How times have changed!
Thank you, Brown Eyes!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 04/05/08 - "Jury Duty Scam (IMPORTANT) This has been verified as TRUE":
aware of the following jury duty scam out there:
Jury Duty Scam - DO NOT DELETE WITHOUT READING !
This has been verified by the FBI (their link is also included below). Please pass this on to everyone in your email address book. It is spreading fast so be prepared should you get this call. Most of us take those summonses for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty, that a new and ominous kind of fraud has surfaced.
The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify t he information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give out any of this information and bingo; your identity was just stolen.
The fraud has been reported so far in 11 states, including Oklahoma, Illinois , and Colorado . This (swindle) is particularly insidious because they use intimidation over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by pretending they are with the court system. The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites, warning consumers about the fraud.
Check it out here: http://www.fbi.gov/page2/june06/jury_scams060206.htm
YOWZERONI!!! Thanks, Joyce!
From the President of the Class of 1965, Joe Wingo of NC - 04/06/08:
Hello again Carol,
Please let Raoul know that my Aunt and Uncle in Lakeland are, indeed, for real. If I could get the date, time, and location of the sock hop, I will let them both know.
And, I will be sure to tell them to look up Raoul (Weinstein - '57 - of FL) for a free drink and a free dance. My Aunt would surely love that dance as she has always been a kid at heart.
(And I think the drink would be just what my Uncle needed!!)
My sincere thanks to Raoul for extending his generosity to a very “extended” Typhoon family.
Again, best of luck with the fundraiser.
God Bless the U.S.A.
How cool would that be?!?
According to the flyer here, the dance is Saturday, April 26, 2008 at the Lake Mirror Center in Lakeland from 7:00 PM until Midnight. As it is a fundraiser, tickets are $50.00 a couple in advance, and $60.00 per couple at the door.
Thanks, Joe Sweetie!
From Cookie Phillips Tyndall ('64) of VA - 04/06/08:
Wish I could attend the sock hop. I would love to see my birth place. I
was born in Lakeland but left when I was six years old due to a hurricane
that destroyed my dad's citrus farm. Having returned from WWII and started
Phillips) did not have the funds to rebuild it.
I have never been back but hope to visit it one day.
AWWW - wouldn't that be wonderful?!? Thanks, Cookie!
From Al Simms ('60) of VA - 04/06/08 - "John Lovell USMC Robbery":
Thank you, Al! Here are those stories you no doubt found, an original news report from a south Florida TV channel, and a follow-up in the Marine Corps Times:
http://www.local10.com/news/13585335/detail.html - POSTED: 6:52 am EDT June 28, 2007; UPDATED: 4:41 pm EDT June 28, 2007: "shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday"
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2007/07/marine_subway_robbery_070702/ - By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer; Posted : Thursday Jul 5, 2007 6:32:23 EDT - "around 11:15 p.m. last Wednesday"
From Edna Whitcomb Harrison ('65) of VA - 04/06/08 - "Marine story":
I just read your newsletter for Sunday,
April 4th. The story of the 71 year old marine was great. Since you couldn't
find anything under Snopes.com, I decided to do an internet search for the
name. Here is what I came up with:
This story was posted on June 29, 2007. (Someone was responding to the story of the shooting, a shooting that was going to happen 7 days later.) The story that is in your newsletter, stated that the shooting took place on July 6th on a Wednesday night. July 6, 2007 was on a Friday, not a Wednesday Either the date in the newsletter is wrong or this did not happen.
Edna Whitcomb Harrison
Thanks, Edna! As a personal (and I hope, temporary) disclaimer: If anything requires any deductive reasoning ability right now, y'all with have to supply it among yourselves. That part of my brain is definitely non-functioning at the moment. I won't promise you the answers, just the homework plus the opportunity to think, ponder, and search for the truth.
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of VA - 04/06/08 - "Ford versus Toyota":
Thanks, Norris! Snopes.com didn't seem to have anything on this either, but Googling produced these:
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancerlast week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"; update of 04/05/08: "getting better each day"
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups.....
6. Evelyn Casey Snead ('57) of VA - gallbladder surgery on 03/12/08
7. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again
8. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08; update of 03/22/08: recovering nicely
9. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08
10. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"
11. Heidi Hice MacKay of MI and her Family - stressing over their beloved patriarch since late January 2008; update of 03/17/08: still needing our prayers
12. Herb Hice of MI and the MacKay Family - triple bypass surgery plus carotid artery cleanup - @ 01/25/08; update of 03/10/08: still being sedated while not on the ventilator, but made it for nine hours on 03/09/08; "holding his own"; update of 03/17/08: not much progress, but no regression, either; update of 03/24/08: "some good days and some bad days; the doctors caring for Herbie are just taking a wait and see approach and playing it by ear day by day"; update of 03/31/08: stays awake longer, off the ventilator longer, now enjoying his beloved opera, card shower requested; update of 04/07/08: "He is still about the same, but some days better, some worse; stays off the vent for as along as eleven hours."
13. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA - recovering from surgery on her ankle; update of 04/05/08: "has had a cast reapplied and then replaced in the past 2 weeks, and will have to have the pin in her ankle replaced on April 22nd. She is in good spirits and gets around on a little scooter. She can't use crutches because of back surgery fairly recently. She has a lot of pain and discomfort with that, too."
14. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"
15. Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) of VA - suffered second massive heart attack - 01/31/08; update of 03/13/08: "is doing very well. She is taking some kind of cardio rehab therapy and she is feeling well enough that she has gone back to work. She's only working 1/2 days..."
16. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
17. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!
18. Jimmy Shires ('57) of VA - update of 03/30/08: emergency appendectomy caused by ruptured appendix; will be in the hospital 3 - 4 days
19. Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - suffered heart attack 02/13/08
20. All of Us
1. Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 22nd Annual "Almost World Famous" Sertoma Sock Hop, Lakeland, FL
2. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1958.html - 03/18/08
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 -NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
4. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
From Charlie Snead ('64) of NC - 03/26/08 - "Good thoughts for 2008" (#11 in a Series of 12):
I just felt you'd like this today.
Thank you for being such a friend to so many of us.
Give this heart to everyone you don't want to lose in '08 including me.
"Be kinder than necessary because everyone
The 10 commandments are not a multiple choice.
Friends are like balloons; once you let them go, you might not get them back. Sometimes we get so busy with our own lives and problems that we may not even notice that we've let them fly away. Sometimes we are so caught up in who's right and who's wrong that we forget what's right and wrong. Sometimes we just don't realize what real friendship means until it is too late. I don't want to let that happen so I'm gonna tie you to my heart so I never lose you. Send it to some balloons that you think have flown away forever. You may be surprised to see it return. Send this heart to everybody you like.
Thank you so much, Charlie! You were right - I did need this!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 03/31/08 - "Don't do this" (#1 in a Series of 23)
I hope you get all the pictures!!! Also notice that most all the pictures have men in them!! And they say women are dumb!!! These guys don't even have the "blonde" excuse.
These are very good examples of things that we should NOT do at home, work, or any where else for that matter.
YOWZERONI-RINI!!! Thanks, Joyce!
|Standing on a bucket on TOP of a ladder, brilliant.|
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Pieces of April
- Dave Loggins
(Three Dog Night, 1972)
"Pieces of April" midi courtesy of http://www.zianet.com/Jw_laurie/midipage.html - 04/06/08
"Pieces of April" lyrics courtesy
of http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Pieces-of-April-lyrics-Three-Dog-Night/3D6297BD5917F50A48256CB50024BD4E - 04/06/08
"Rejuvenation" Image courtesy of http://www.nanagaia.com/2007/04/page/2/ - 04/06/08
Twig Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars17.html - 07/12/07
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Marine Corps Seal clip art
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Animated Army Flag clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965