04/04/12 - NNHS Newsletter - Waltz Across Texas
“My kitchen linoleum is so black and shiny that I waltz while I wait
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Continuing with our celebration of Texas, here's a classic from 1965.
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjcwNKpiAnQ - Waltz Across Texas - Ernest Tubb, 1968
|Ernest Dale Tubb (February 9, 1914 – September 6, 1984), nicknamed the Texas Troubadour, was an American singer and songwriter and one of the pioneers of country music. His biggest career hit song, "Walking the Floor Over You" (1941), marked the rise of the honky tonk style of music. In 1948, he was the first singer to record a hit version of "Blue Christmas", a song more commonly associated with Elvis Presley and his mid-1950s version. Another well-known Tubb hit was "Waltz Across Texas" (1965), which became one of his most requested songs and is often used in dance halls throughout Texas during waltz lessons...|
From Me ('65) of NC - 04/04/12 - "Speaking of Texas...":
| We saw many Great
and Wondrous Sights on our recent trip to El Paso, and as soon as I work
up "da noive" to take the pictures off my camera, I'll share them
(shamelessly snagged from
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/vladimir-911/tags/border/) is a
glimpse of one of the strangest that we saw:
|Do you see?!? There's NO GRASS! It's pea gravel - eerily beautiful in its own way, but initially quite disconcerting!|
|Ft. Bliss National Cemetery|
|El Paso, TX|
1. Thursday, April 5, 2012 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have friends in that year, go visit with them.
2. From Bill Roady ('60) of VA - 10/04/11 - "Breakfast Bunch Brunch":
Our next Brunch... is the first Saturday in April 7, 2012, at 11am at the same place, Warwick Restaurant.
After the April BRUNCH, we plan to meet quarterly the first Saturday of July and October as long as the interest holds up.
Thanks, Bill! We've just realized to our great sadness that there is no way we can be there - and we had soooo been looking forward to it!
But, HEY, y'all! Ya gotta eat that day anyway, right?? It's an OPEN reunion, and just see how much fun:
"Please come join them for a Dutch Treat Brunch featuring a lot of 'War Stories' and maybe a lie or two. Everyone is welcome so bring your wife, husband, boy friend, girl friend, class mate, school friend or whomever you choose."
Make your reservations now:
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday today to Robert Workman ('57)AND Sylvia Hall Hammond ('66) of FL!
Happy Birthday this week to:
06 - Gerald Leonard ('66) of VA AND Aaron (Hank) Smith ('69);
07 - Marc Snyder ('65) of NC;
09 - Denise Roane (Hampton HS - '71) of VA;
10 - Dale Parsons, Sr. (June '48) of VA AND Skip Wood ('65) of NC;
11 - Brownie Shaffer Haracivet ('62) of VA AND Susan Avent Hill ('66) of VA AND Kathy Cooper ('70) of VA!
Many Happy Returns to You All!
|April 04, 1944 - The
bombardment of Bucharest by Anglo-American forces killed 3000
April 04, 1945 - American troops captured Kassel.
|THIS DAY IN 1962:|
|Wednesday, April 04, 1962 - Musician Craig Adams (The Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, The Alarm, Spear of Destiny, and Theatre of Hate) was born Craig David Adams in Otley, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom.|
From Jay Styles ('68) of VA - 04/03/12, 10:19 AM - "Act of Valor":
had a segment from
Bruce Sims ('56 - of VA) on the Navy Seals; if you have
not done so yet, the movie "Act of Valor" is highly
recommended, for a very vivid look into the life of the
Seals. Not for the squeamish.
Oooh, a NEW movie! Thanks for the recommendation, Jay Sweetie!
From Terry Seay ('67) of TN - 04/04/12, 8:31 AM - "Nashville Connection - Listen Online - April 4th - Singer/Songwriter - Alan O'Day":
this week as Alan and radio host Jimmy Hughes talk about Alan's songs
written for Ann Murray, Righteous Bros, Helen Ready and his own 2
million seller "Under Cover Angel"
listen in link:
|SUPER-DE-DUPER! Thanks, Terry!|
From Stacy Dorn Davis ('64) of CA - 04/03/12 - "Change Your Thinking":
Thank you so much for this reminder, Stacy!
- Cabbage and Potato Casserole - "For
a hearty side dish or even a light main course, this cabbage and potato
casserole can't be beat. Slow cooker recipes are simply the best!"
http://www.recipelion.com/Cake-Recipes/Easy-Orange-Dream-Cake/ml/1 - Easy Orange Dream Cake - "Orange dream cake is a light, fruity recipe that will drive orange-lovers crazy. This moist, airy cake is topped with a fluffy orange topping. This recipe is perfect for parties. "
From Wayne Stokes ('65) of VA - 02/29/12 - "Aww pictures......... (#12 in a Series of 43)":
I can do this!!|
Thanks, Wayne Honey!
From Ruth Ann Reece Horace ('67) of FL - 03/27/12 - "HANDY IDEAS (#2 in a Series of 13)":
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Thursday, April 5, 2012 - The NNHS Class of
1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve
& John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport
News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you
have friends in that year, go visit with them.|
2. Saturday, April 7, 2012 - 11:00 AM - The NNHS Breakfast Bunch will host a Breakfast Bunch Brunch at the Warwick Restaurant, 12306 Warwick Boulevard, (across from CNU) Newport News, Virginia 23606. "Please come join them for a Dutch Treat Brunch featuring a lot of 'War Stories' and maybe a lie or two. Everyone is welcome so bring your wife, husband, boy friend, girl friend, class mate, school friend or whomever you choose." Please RSVP to Bill Roady at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 757-595-0716 so they have a head count.
3. Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
4. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, May 4, 5, and 6, 2012 - Class of 1961 Reunion (Postponed from last August due to Hurricane Irene); Saturday, May 5, 2012: Mike O'Neal's Restaurant (www.mikesplacepub.com/), 11006 Warwick Boulevard, Unit 458, Located in the Warwick Village Shopping Center, Hilton Village, Newport News, VA 23601 (across from the Cedar Lane entrance to Mariners' Museum), (757) 599-5500, about 12:30 for lunch (Dutch treat) - "Any and all ex-Typhoons or old friends are invited."
5. Friday and Saturday, October 5 and 6, 2012 - Class of 1962 - 50-Year Reunion - Crowne Plaza Hotel, Hampton on the Water. More information after the Holidays. Meetings are second Tuesday of each month. CONTACT: Brenda Amos Williams at email@example.com
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 02/20/12
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 03/13/11
Carol Buckley Harty
7020 Lure Court
Fayetteville, NC 28311-9309
2.Go to www.PayPal.com, log in, select "Send Money (Services) to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
3. Just mail it directly to my home. Thanks!
Y'all take good care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always HaveBuckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
Written and recorded by Ernest Tubb
(09 Feb 1914 – 06 Sept 1984), 1965
When we dance together my world's in disguise
it's a fairyland tale that come true
And when you look at me with those stars in your eyes
I could waltz across Texas with you
Waltz across Texas with you in my arms
Waltz across Texas with you
Like a storybook ending I'm lost in your charms
And I could waltz across Texas with you
My heartaches and troubles are just up and gone
The moment that you come in view
And with your hand in mine, dear, I could dance on and on
And I could waltz across Texas with you
Waltz across Texas...
"Waltz Across Texas" midi courtesy of http://electrofresh.com/midi-6051-download-ernest_tubb-waltz_across_texas.html - 04/03/12
"Waltz Across Texas" lyrics courtesy of http://www.lyricsdepot.com/ernest-tubb/waltz-across-texas.html - 04/02/12
2002 Map of Texas courtesy of http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/texas.html - 04/02/12
Acoustic Guitars Divider Line clip art courtesy of - well, I cannot seem to find that information at the moment, but it's been in my files for many years...
courtesy of Glenn Dye ('60) of TX - 08/28/09
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of
Replaced courtesy of http://www.hamptonhigh1964.com - 02/17/09
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2012
Return to NNHS Class of 1965