- NNHS Newsletter -
“Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
Friends and Schoolmates,
Today's theme was suggested yesterday by Christine Wilson Starkman ('68) of CA:
April song: Simon & Garfunkel's "April Come She Will" nice version here:
Oh, WOW - that is a nice one! Thanks, Chris!
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUkL5YQJfEo
- April Come She Will - Concert in Central Park, 1981
BIRTHDAYS - TODAY AND UPCOMING:
Happy Birthday today to Sylvia Hall Hammond ('66) of UT (who has one of the coolest birthdays ever - 04/04/48)!
Happy Birthday Sunday to Gerald Leonard ('66) of VA AND Aaron (Hank) Smith ('69) of ?!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Gloria Woolard Price (Hampton HS - '65) of FL - 04/03/08 - "Elephant Painting":
This is truly the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen.......I've never seen or heard anything about this. My mouth hung open the entire time I was watching it.
BOY HOWDY!!! The precision alone he used was amazing!
"Can your elephant paint? Watch this
elephant, rescued from abusive treatment in Burma, now paint an amazing self
portrait. You'll be amazed at how his talent unfolds.
"So touched by their horrific backgrounds and loving personalities, ExoticWorldGifts.com now supports, "Starving Elephant Artisans" by selling their paintings so they can continue to have a new life in Thailand."
Thanks so much, Gloria!
From Christine Wilson Starkman ('68) of CA - 04/03/08:
I read with dismay of your recent attempt to register for medical care. What author John Mortimer (sarcastically) refers to as "The Caring Community" often fails us when we need it most. However, I do urge you to pack a lunch (and dinner) and get your buns back there soon. Pride can be a deadly disease, too!
I know you have plenty of family and friends who care deeply for you and are praying for your recovery. Remember, though, that story about the drowning man. God provides lifeboats. It's our job to climb in!
(Please note: I'm biting my cyber-tongue to refrain from a lecture on health care in America. That's only because I'm more concerned with your health right now. When you're feeling better--watch out!)
In Typhoon Friendship,
Yes, ma'am! My bishop told me almost the exact same thing Wednesday night. As I'm not in the habit of arguing with my bishop or ignoring his counsel, I believe I will do just that. Thank you again, Chris!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 04/03/08 - "Redneck Tank Top":
Now, I've seen it all!!!!! And some interesting, if not sick, friends.
Red Neck Tank Top
No words will suffice just see the picture. I cant believe I have never seen this before!!!!
It might take you a minute--
I think now I can say--'I've seen it all'
Redneck tank top...seen recently at a tractor pull.
EEWWW!!! Thanks, Joyce!
From Linda May Bond Crayton ('66) of VA - 04/03/08:
Hey Carol, is it me or do most
of these babies LOOK like Charlie Snead?
And what's with these women drivers---aren't those MEN in the foreground someplace giving those- very -same- directions they won't ask for but expect us to follow? (probably that guy with the camera)
Could be me...............
Thanks, Linda May!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 04/03/08 - "SANDAL TIME AGAIN!":
Alright, ladies, it's that time of year once again!!! I think we need to be reminded of a few things. So, my sisters, PLEASE, raise your big toes and repeat after me below...
Toed Shoe Pledge
As a member of the Cute Girl Sisterhood, I pledge to follow the Rules when wearing sandals and other open-toe shoes:
I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps.
I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free.
I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe.
I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow.
I will shave the hairs off my big toe.
I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there.
If a strap
breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back into place hoping it will
stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it.
I will not live in corn denial; rather I will lean on my good friend Dr. Scholl's if my feet need him.
I will resist the urge to buy jelly shoes at Payless for the low, low price of $4.99 even if my feet are small enough to fit into the kids' sizes. This is out of concern for my safety, and the safety of others. No one can walk properly when standing in a pool of sweat and I would hate to take someone down with me as I fall and break my ankle.
I will take my toe ring off toward the end of the day if my toes swell and begin to look like Vienna sausages.
I will be brutally honest with my girlfriend/sister/coworker when she asks me if her feet are too ugly to wear sandals. Someone has to tell her that her toes are as long as my fingers and no sandal makes creepy feet look good.
I will promise if I wear flip flops that I will ensure that they actually flip and flop, making the correct noise while walking and I will swear NOT to slide or drag my feet while wearing them.
I will promise to go to my local nail salon at least once per season and have a real pedicure (they are about $15 or 20 and worth EVERY penny).
I will promise to throw away any white/off-white sandals that show signs of wear... nothing is tackier than dirty white sandals.
Don't keep this to yourself - pass it on to other sisters.
SANDALS - I remember those..... "...no sandal makes creepy feet look good."
Thanks again, Joyce!
From Linda Lane Lane ('64) of VA - 04/03/08:
Thank you so much, Linda-Linda! I hope you continue to feel better. Pain is not a fun thing. It's so - well, you know, painful.....
From Jean Poole Burton ('64) of RI - 04/04/08 - "Feedsack dresses...":
Mmmmm - isn't it fun to recall precious memories?? Thanks so much, Jean!
From Raoul Weinstein ('57) of FL - 04/03/08 - "Sertoma Sock Hop":
|I want to invite
everyone from NNHS to come to Lakeland,
Florida for the 22nd Annual "Almost World Famous" Sertoma Sock Hop on April
26, featuring Shirley Reeves, the original lead singer of THE
SHIRELLES!! It's our big fundraiser for the Central Florida Speech &
Hearing Center. My lip-synch group, the Weak Spots and our girls
group, the Put-Outs will be performing, along with a couple of other
known singers from our era.
I am the DJ spinning 45's of all the great hits from the 50's and 60's until, and after, the great showtime/entertainment lined up, wearing my old NNHS letter sweater and showing off my Typhoon blue and gold turntable setup. And I'll be buying free drinks for any Typhooners that show up!!
WOWZERONI-RINI!!! The closest I've ever come to Lakeland is watching CSI: Miami on television, but there's a sizable contingent of "expatriate children from the Hallowed Ground" as David (Spriggs - '64 - of VA) called us recently living close enough by to be thrilled by this news, and no doubt several dozens more in need of a fun vacation. And this certainly does sound like great and wondrous fun!
Thanks, Raoul! I've added it to our "DATES TO REMEMBER"!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancerlast week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups.....
6. Evelyn Casey Snead ('57) of VA - gallbladder surgery on 03/12/08
7. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again
8. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08; update of 03/22/08: recovering nicely
9. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08
10. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"
11. Heidi Hice MacKay of MI and her Family - stressing over their beloved patriarch since late January 2008; update of 03/17/08: still needing our prayers
12. Herb Hice of MI and the MacKay Family - triple bypass surgery plus carotid artery cleanup - @ 01/25/08; update of 03/10/08: still being sedated while not on the ventilator, but made it for nine hours on 03/09/08; "holding his own"; update of 03/17/08: not much progress, but no regression, either; update of 03/24/08: "some good days and some bad days; the doctors caring for Herbie are just taking a wait and see approach and playing it by ear day by day"; update of 03/31/08: stays awake longer, off the ventilator longer, now enjoying his beloved opera, card shower requested
13. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA? - recovering from surgery on her ankle
14. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"
15. Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) of VA - suffered second massive heart attack - 01/31/08; update of 03/13/08: "is doing very well. She is taking some kind of cardio rehab therapy and she is feeling well enough that she has gone back to work. She's only working 1/2 days..."
16. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
17. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!
18. Jimmy Shires ('57) of VA - update of 03/30/08: emergency appendectomy caused by ruptured appendix; will be in the hospital 3 - 4 days
19. Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - suffered heart attack 02/13/08
20. All of Us
1. Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 22nd Annual "Almost World Famous" Sertoma Sock Hop, Lakeland, FL
2. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 -NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
4. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
From Wayne Stokes ('65) of VA - 03/26/08 - "2007 Woman Drivers Awards" (#8 in a Series of 10):
The 2007 Women
|...all of a sudden it just starting leaning to the left, for no reason!!|
Thank you to all contestants for giving us all a reason to laugh and smile.
Thank you, Wayne Honey! This is an excellent example of why I decided never to take driver's ed or apply for a driver's license!
From Charlie Snead ('64) of NC - 03/26/08 - "Good thoughts for 2008" (#8 in a Series of 12):
I just felt you'd like this today.
Thank you for being such a friend to so many of us.
Give this heart to everyone you don't want to lose in '08 including me.
"Be kinder than necessary because everyone
I lie the loudest when I lie to myself.
Friends are like balloons; once you let them go, you might not get them back. Sometimes we get so busy with our own lives and problems that we may not even notice that we've let them fly away. Sometimes we are so caught up in who's right and who's wrong that we forget what's right and wrong. Sometimes we just don't realize what real friendship means until it is too late. I don't want to let that happen so I'm gonna tie you to my heart so I never lose you. Send it to some balloons that you think have flown away forever. You may be surprised to see it return. Send this heart to everybody you like.
Thank you so much, Charlie! You were right - I did need this!
Y'all have a good weekend - and take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
April Come She Will
Words and Music by Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel
April come she will
When streams are ripe and swelled with rain;
May, she will stay,
Resting in my arms again
June, she'll change her tune,
In restless walks she'll prowl the night;
July, she will fly
And give no warning to her flight.
August, die she must,
The autumn winds blow chilly and cold;
September I'll remember.
A love once new has now grown old.
Come She Will" midi courtesy of
at the suggestion of Christine Wilson Starkman ('68) of CA - 04/03/08
"April Come She Will" lyrics courtesy
of http://www.lyrics007.com/Simon%20and%20Garfunkel%20Lyrics/April%20Come%20She%20Will%20Lyrics.html - 04/03/08
Tapestry Depicting Chaucer Canterbury Tales which hangs in
St. Bartholomew's Church, Failand,
courtesy of http://www.wraxallwithfailand.org.uk/failand.htm - 04/03/08
Medieval Divider Line clip art
adapted from one found courtesy
p284.8.150.ip_&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//housebarra.com/clipart/ - 04/03/08
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Animated Laughing Kitty courtesy of Tom Flax ('64) of VA - 06/03/06
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Marine Corps Seal clip art
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965