03/31/08 - NNHS Newsletter - Crazy
“Live life fully while you're here. Experience everything. Take care of
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Today's Newsletter theme first appeared over three years ago:
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axRodU_7430 - Patsy Cline - Crazy
Happy Birthday this week to:
Sylvia Hall Hammond ('66) of UT;
06 - Gerald Leonard ('66) of VA AND Aaron (Hank) Smith ('69) of ?!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
HEALTH ALERTS AND UPDATES:
1. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA:
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA - 03/26/08 - "A message from Bob Hedrick - NNHS Class of 1958":
Many are aware that our classmate Bobby Hedrick is undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer. The note below is an update he provided for me to share with you.
If you would like to send a card or letter, his address is (available upon request from Joe at Jwdvt@aol.com.)
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
To all my friends & classmates,
A brief synopsis on my latest adventure; pancreatic cancer was discovered on 2/20/08 by my primary physician. Toni and I traveled to Johns Hopkins for a second opinion on 2/22/08. The opinion at Johns Hopkins confirmed the first opinion we received here.
Surgery was completed two weeks ago at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital and Toni and I returned home a week ago yesterday. We had our first meeting with my Oncologist yesterday to map out a plan for treatment once I heal from the surgery, approximately three weeks out.
I am doing very well, no pain, just some soreness on occasion if I move wrong, which I am learning not to do. Toni is an angel who watches over me for my every need. I truly believe this problem was caught early enough and removed which coupled with chemo and radiation treatments will negate this problem.
Thank you so much, Joe - and Bobby!
2. Jimmy Shires ('57) of VA:
From Pat Beck Letzinger ('57) of VA - 03/30/08 - "NNHS Class of '57 - FYI - Jimmy Shires":
(Address, phone number, and email addy available upon request from me at NNHS65@yahoo.com .)
YOWZERONI-RINI!!! I'm so sorry to hear this, Pat, but thank you so much for letting us know! We'll certainly keep Jimmy in our prayers!
3. Herb Hice of MI:
From Sepi Dinwiddie Prichard ('58) of NC - 03/31/08 - "Herbie and 'Small Steps'":
Dear Carol and Typhoon Family,
Our Herbie is taking very tiny steps toward getting better, our prayers are heard and God is working. In His time, not ours. Herbie is taking small steps toward getting better. He stays awake longer. Heidi (Hice MacKay - of MI) says he stayed awake during their entire visit and is off the ventilator longer, most days. He is now enjoying his beloved opera and Heidi says the music makes the entire environment more relaxing during their daily visits. She shows him his cards and says she knows he understands and enjoys them. They are put on the wall for him to look at when he is awake. However I think we could make it a little more interesting for Herbie if we were to give him a card shower...fill his small world with cards from his "adopted" Typhoon Family, so here is his address:
47593 Stephanie Drive
Macomb, MI 48044
Heidi picks up his mail and takes it to the hospital for him to see, and one day soon, he will reach out and hold our cards all by himself. Let's give him something to get excited about, let's cover all the walls in his room. Continue to pray for Herbie and his devoted family, God is listening and rewarding out obedience with "Small Steps ! "
Dimples aka Sepi
That is certainly welcome good news, Dimples! Thanks so much!
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA - 03/28/08 - "NNHS 1958 News Alert - Classmate in Hall of Fame":
Bucky Keller will be inducted into the Peninsula Athletic Hall of Fame on Sunday, May 18, 2008. Since that is our reunion weekend, you may be interested in staying over and attending the event. A press release and invitations will be coming out in about a week, but I was provided advance information by the director so I could notify classmates about some of the details which I have included below and in the attached WORD file.
Lefty Driesell will be participating and he is putting together a video of highlights of Bucky. If you know of anyone who may have film footage of Bucky, please contact me so we can get it to Lefty.
The NNHS Class of 1958 is encouraged to attend the event and if you let me know, I will try to put together a table of classmates.
Our own Bucky Keller, NNHS Class of 1958, will be one of the 6 inductees this year. The Induction Banquet will be held right after the 50th reunion of our NNHS Class of 1958, it is hoped that classmates will be able to attend. Susan Keller Beers, daughter of Bucky and Evelyn (Fryer Fish - '58 - of TX), will accept the award and Evelyn is planning to attend. Letters of Invitation are being sent to Bucky’s teammates and coaches.
The Induction Banquet will be held May 18, 2008 (the Sunday of our reunion weekend) at the Hampton Coliseum. The evening will begin at 6:30 p.m. with a reception on the second level where the Hall of Fame is located, followed by a dinner buffet. Chairman Bud Porter will open the program with remarks. Emcee for the evening will be Scott Cash, Sports Director WVEC-TV. A video presentation for each inductee will highlight their achievements on a statewide or national level. Tickets are on sale for $30.00 each and are available for purchase at Hampton Parks & Recreation 22 Lincoln Street or by phone by calling 727-6348 x0. For more information call 727-8314.
In 1971 the Hampton City Council established the Athletic Hall of Fame of the Lower Peninsula to honor individuals who by outstanding achievement or service have made lasting contributions to the cause of sports on the Lower Virginia Peninsula and by their achievements, have reflected favorably on the Lower Peninsula area in the eyes of the State of Virginia, the nation and the world. Every three years the committee selects new inductees to be honored. Since 1971 forty-six members have been selected to the Hall of Fame
The 2008 inductees for the Athletic Hall of Fame for the Lower Virginia Peninsula are: Ronald Curry, Frank Emanuel, Glenn “Skeeter” Heath, Wayne Gomes, Jerry Holmes, and Herman “Bucky” Keller.
Outstanding Achievement Awards will be presented to Jim Casey and Col. William Shivar.
WOWZERONI-RINI-ROONI! Thank you so much for sharing this exciting news with us, Joe!
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/28/08 - "The Sacred Soil":
Listen up, all you expatriate children of the Peninsula. This may be your only chance to return in style to our “Hallowed Ground”, as Carol calls it.
The accompanying images were scanned from an article in the Saturday, 29 March Real Estate section of the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot.
If you have longed to return here for your retirement, this is an opportunity to occupy what is arguably the classiest address in all of Tidewater. Believe me, the thought crossed my mind, but I am not yet ready to give up my home in Norfolk just yet.
The good news is that the units will always be rental, which means there will be turnover as the residents age and leave. When we are ready, there is always hope for a vacancy.
I could go on, but the article explains it all.
WOWZERONI-RINI-ROONI! What a wonderful way to preserve that majestic building which holds so many memories for us all! Thank you so much for capturing this article for us, Captain! I've posted them on the Chamberlin page:
From Roy Parrish ('61) of CA to Eva Ellis Madagan ('61) of FL (and several other 1961 Classmates) - 03/29/08 - "We are the Champions":
|We are the
Champions, my friend!
Best two of three final series.
Game 1. Outlaws 3-1, (Empty Net); Game 2. Knights, 2-1 (Overtime);
Game 3. Outlaws, 4-0.
From Eva Ellis Madagan ('61) of FL - 03/29/08:
Roy Parrish class of 61..holding the trophy with hat on backwards. Good going, Roy! So happy for you and your team. Contrats.
From Julie Jaffe Nagel ('61) of MI - 03/29/08:
Pretty impressive/exciting!!! I
watch hockey practice every time I work at out at our Fitness Center b/c the
elliptical machines are on an upper level overlooking the ice rink where all
ages practice and play games at the Ann Arbor Ice Cube (3 ice rinks). It’s
Where was this game played????? Newport News??????
WOWZERONI-RINI! Thanks for sharing this with us, Eva! Congratulations, Roy!
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA to the Members of the Class of 1958 - 03/30/08 - "Order hat & polo shirt for pickup at reunion or have it mailed to you":
Terry Elvington is taking orders.
Polo shirt $16
Sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL
Send check to:
236 N. Cypress Court
Newport News, VA 23608-2145
If he receives your order by May 1st, you can pick up your order at the reunion.
If you want it mailed, include $4 for shipping and your shipping address.
Thanks again, Joe! I added this to your Reunion Page:
From Sean Kotz of VA - 03/30/08 - "Looking for Bill Hobbs (NNHS 1966) for documentary interview":
Hello Carol--I am trying to locate a
fellow named Bill Hobbs who posted on your
class reunion site about working on WVEC's Shock Theater program before joining
the Navy (http://www.nnhs65.00freehost
I am producing and directing a documentary called Virginia Creepers: The Horror Host Tradition of the Old Dominion, and Bill apparently worked on that show for a while. Information is very hard to come by on this particular program, so if there is anyway for you to help us get in touch with Bill, that would be great.
You can check out the current web page at www.horsearcherproductions.com
If you can help, it would go a long way toward preserving this part of Virginia history.
I'd be delighted, Sean!
was going to forward your note to Bill first and then let him contact you, but
as he's already given me permission to post his email addy online, I'll simply
write both of you at once.
Best wishes on your documentary; I personally loved that show!
Thanks Carol--much appreciated!
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA - 03/28/08 - "NNHS1958 - Found one and lost one":
An obituary for Elsie Bernice 'Nannie' Whitmer Vanness, 89, led to the location of her son, our classmate, Guy Vanness.
I am glad to report we now have a good address for Guy and will be sending him notices of our upcoming reunion.
(Address and phone number available upon request from Joe at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Unfortunately, we also lost another classmate on 3/19/08. Anne Redford Terry died suddenly and unexpectedly from an aneurysm in the brain.
Anne had requested no obituary or formal funeral rites. There was a memorial service at Weymouth Funeral Home at 5pm on Tuesday, 3/25/08.
Oh, WOW - thanks for letting us know, Joe. Under the circumstances, I'm not sure how I could make a Memorial Newsletter for Anne, and I suppose she would not have wanted one anyway, but I added her to the Memorial Page for the Class of 1958:
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA - 03/28/08 - "This could not occur at our 'Noble Gathering' -- or could it?":
My wife and I were sitting at a table at my high school reunion, and I kept staring at a drunken woman swigging her drink, as she sat alone at a nearby table.
My wife asks, 'Do you know her?'
'Yes,' I sighed. 'She's my old girlfriend. I understand she started drinking right after we split up those many years ago, and I hear she hasn't been sober since.
"My Goodness!' says my wife. 'Who would think a person could go on celebrating that long?'
So you see, there really are two ways to look at everything.
Thanks again, Joe!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancerlast week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual financial woes; update of 03/28/08: not as well as I'd hoped to be by now; more downs than ups.....
6. Evelyn Casey Snead ('57) of VA - gallbladder surgery on 03/12/08
7. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again
8. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08; update of 03/22/08: recovering nicely
9. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08
10. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"
11. Heidi Hice MacKay of MI and her Family - stressing over their beloved patriarch since late January 2008; update of 03/17/08: still needing our prayers
12. Herb Hice of MI and the MacKay Family - triple bypass surgery plus carotid artery cleanup - @ 01/25/08; update of 03/10/08: still being sedated while not on the ventilator, but made it for nine hours on 03/09/08; "holding his own"; update of 03/17/08: not much progress, but no regression, either; update of 03/24/08: "some good days and some bad days; the doctors caring for Herbie are just taking a wait and see approach and playing it by ear day by day"; update of 03/31/08:stays awake longer, off the ventilator longer, now enjoying his beloved opera, card shower requested
13. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA? - recovering from surgery on her ankle
14. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"
15. Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) of VA - suffered second massive heart attack - 01/31/08; update of 03/13/08: "is doing very well. She is taking some kind of cardio rehab therapy and she is feeling well enough that she has gone back to work. She's only working 1/2 days..."
16. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
17. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!
18. Jimmy Shires ('57) of VA - update of 03/30/08: emergency appendectomy caused by ruptured appendix; will be in the hospital 3 - 4 days
19. Catherine Slusser Hudson ('64) of VA - recent surgery on right knee
20. Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - suffered heart attack 02/13/08
21. All of Us
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
2. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 -NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
From Wayne Stokes ('65) of VA - 03/26/08 - "2007 Woman Drivers Awards" (#4 in a Series of 10):
The 2007 Women
|Somebody changed the lines while I was gone, yeah, that's it!|
Thank you to all contestants for giving us all a reason to laugh and smile.
Thank you, Wayne Honey! This is an excellent example of why I decided never to take driver's ed or apply for a driver's license!
From Charlie Snead ('64) of NC - 03/26/08 - "Good thoughts for 2008" (#4 in a Series of 12):
I just felt you'd like this today.
Thank you for being such a friend to so many of us.
Give this heart to everyone you don't want to lose in '08 including me.
"Be kinder than necessary because everyone
The best vitamin for making friends...B 1.
Friends are like balloons; once you let them go, you might not get them back. Sometimes we get so busy with our own lives and problems that we may not even notice that we've let them fly away. Sometimes we are so caught up in who's right and who's wrong that we forget what's right and wrong. Sometimes we just don't realize what real friendship means until it is too late. I don't want to let that happen so I'm gonna tie you to my heart so I never lose you. Send it to some balloons that you think have flown away forever. You may be surprised to see it return. Send this heart to everybody you like.
Thank you so much, Charlie! You were right - I did need this!
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
(Patsy Cline, 1961)
"Crazy" midi courtesy of http://country.mididb.com/country/ - 01/04/05
"Crazy" lyrics courtesy of http://www.patsified.com/lyrics.htm - 01/04/05
Flashing Eye clip art courtesy of http://www.animate.netmegs.com/pixs/set_10.html - 01/04/05
Animated Goofy Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.bravenet.com - 08/12/04
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Marine Corps Seal clip art
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Animated Yehaa Typhoon
clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 08/18/05
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Laughter clip art courtesy of
McCain Rose ('65) of VA - 01/24/06
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Army Seal clip art also courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Thanks again, Al!
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965