03/25/08 - NNHS Newsletter
“The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing
but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
This is another rerun; we used this same theme exactly three years ago today:
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LjxfNxbZM4 - Angel Baby - Rosie and The Originals (no video)
BIRTHDAYS - TODAY AND UPCOMING:
Happy Birthday today to the late Billy Williams ('57) (d. 21 May 2007) AND Joan McKenna Ward ('60) of VA AND Bill Hobbs ('66) of Northern VA!
Happy Birthday this week to
Gene Collins Glave ('60) of SC;
28 - Elizabeth Tedder Nunnally ('65 and '68) of VA;
29 - David Hatchett ('65) of VA;
31 - Webb Edwards ('57) AND Tina Crowder Wescott Adderholdt ('65) of VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Richard Dawes (NNHS / HHS - '62) of VA - 03/24/08:
Wrong button? remember Bcc. ');
BOY HOWDY!!! I couldn't figure out what went wrong, but my computer went totally berserko just after I hit "Send". I thought I had accidentally changed some settings, but no, I had just sent over 500 addies to all of y'all - just like in a bad dream. Once I realized that, I thought - hoped - that perhaps the filters would block all of y'all from getting any notification at all, but nooooo.......
The moral to the story is - never try to do something such as this when you may be suddenly distracted.
Oh, no - that is any given moment for me, isn't it?!?
Sigh. My deepest apologies to all of y'all. Thanks, Dicky Darlin'!
From Ruth Ann Reece Horace ('67) of FL - 03/24/08:
I recently found your site thanks to Marty (Whitmore McCoy - '67 - of VA) and I have to ask if you are LDS too?
Why, yes, ma'am, I am! For 41 years and 24 days now!
At one point I decided to count heads and see how many among the 500 or so of us on that mailing list were also Latter-day Saints, and found there were about 25 or so of us - not counting two who have passed over to the other side of the veil.
Prior to their deaths, Drum Major Larry Crickenberger ('58) and my brother-in-law (and Bishop), Miles Nowitzky (Granby HS - '50), were also regular subscribers:
Thanks, Ruth Ann!
Wait a minute - stop the train - I think I'm having a flashback. What was your mama's name??
From My #2 Daughter-in-Law, Bethany Winona Harty (Siuslaw HS, OR - '94) of OH - 03/24/08 - "New WordArt for tomorrow":
Brent (Harty - Hillsboro HS, IL - '90 - of OH) told me yesterday that I was turning into you. I took that as a compliment. heheheh
He says I talk about wordart like you do about the newsletter. We can't help it if we're so popular, and people like to send us stuff!
... Do you have any funny quotes -
anything?? Nothing specific
that I'm looking for... It doesn't have to be a quote, just a funny saying, or
something you say... For instance, from last week we had, "Caffeine is not a
drug, it's a vitamin." That was funny.
"A girl's father is the first man in
her life, and probably the most influential."
- David Jeremiah
Perhaps we could ask for others in the newsletter??
There you go, have them send in
sayings for me! But they have to be short. The long ones are brutally hard!
I can do them, but they take a lot of brain power.
Here's my little boy WordArt. I like how the little boy font looks like messy fingerprints. I've been wanting to use that font for a while, but didn't know what to use it on. This quotation worked perfectly for it.
This image I sent to you is a .jpg file; the ones I post on my download page are .png files.
|Mothers of LITTLE BOYS
from son up to son down.
means they don't have a background, so, people open a new
PhotoShop document, get the papers they want, and the photos they
want, and the pretty things they want, put it all together, then
add the words (and only the words, not background) to wherever
they want on the page. It makes a page look really nice, and is
simple if someone else designs the words for you.
I get about 1000 hits a day. In under 2 months, I've crested 104,000 hits.
Brown eyed girl (Eme);
Blue eyed boy (Jimmy)
So they then use the new joint venture on their own blogs or whatever??
Thanks, Lady! Love you! Kiss 'all your pretty babies for me - and we'll try to collect some short sayings for you!
From Me ('65) of NC - 03/25/08 - "Spotted Recently on eBay":
Pop Arnold's Esso Station - Salt and Pepper Shakers (sold):
First Congregational Christian Church - Commemorative Plate (still available):
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/First-Congregational-Christian-Church.html - brand new page!
From Gloria Woolard Price (Hampton HS - '65) of FL - 03/24/08:
Thank you for sending the article about the demolition of Riverside Hospital......where I was born, in there twice for pneumonia (first and second grade), and had my tonsils removed. When I was home last October, my sister (Nat Woolard Cunningham, Hampton HS '60), and I took Mama for a ride and went by there. I told my sister to stop, so I could jump out and take pictures.......now, of course, I'm soooo glad I did.
Another nostalgic memory gone! :(
It's always a good thing to follow those promptings Gloria. I'm glad you did, too! Thanks!
From Chandler Nelms (Hampton HS - '63) of MD - 03/25/08:
Tearing down the old Riverside Hospital. How sad. This would break my parents' hearts if they were still alive. That is where they met....or should I say "re-met".
Originally, Dr. Nelms, who had just graduated from medical school at UVA, took over a practice from an aging doctor in Mathews County. He became my mother's family doctor when she was 13. Years later, after WWII and his divorce from his first wife (my two step-brothers' real mother), he re-met my mother (when I was 7 or 8) who was in nursing training at Riverside.
Besides his practice at the corner of Kecoughtan and Elizabeth Road, he was on staff at Riverside. She had been a stay-at-home mom when she divorced my biological father (who was also a doctor and a graduate from UVA) when I was 4, so she decided to go into nursing.
And the rest, as they say, is history.
WOWZERS! Thank you, Chandler Darlin'! I've double-posted your comment:
From Joe Drewry ('58) of VA - 03/25/08 - "Bobby Hedrick's address":
Several classmates have requested Bobby Hedrick's address.
(It is available from Joe at Jwdvt@aol.com.)
Thanks so much, Joe!
From Judy Phillips Allen ('66) of VA - 03/25/08 - "Easter Egg...":
WILD GIGGLES!!! Thanks, Judy!
From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/25/08 - "Class of 1963 Reunion":
I don't recall seeing it mentioned in
(Fritsche Barnes - '63 - of VA) newsletter entries; are they having an open
Well, now that you mention it,
David, I don't really know!
She invited me,
but as you know, classes
often invite me to join them free of charge as their guest in return for
services rendered in free advertising, help in locating "lost" classmates, and
general excitement building.
So I just don't know! Oh, Barbara.....
Thanks, Brown Eyes!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancerlast week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape; update of 03/24/08: last radiation treatment was Friday; "looking good and feeling pretty good except for very irritated skin and fatigue"
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent (late January) development of congestive heart failure plus the usual .....; update of 03/25/08: not a great deal of change; still ups and downs
6. Evelyn Casey Snead ('57) of VA - gallbladder surgery on 03/12/08
7. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again
8. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08; update of 03/22/08: recovering nicely
9. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08
10. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer
11. Heidi Hice MacKay of MI and her Family - stressing over their beloved patriarch since late January 2008; update of 03/17/08: still needing our prayers
12. Herb Hice of MI and the MacKay Family - triple bypass surgery plus carotid artery cleanup - @ 01/25/08; update of 03/10/08: still being sedated while not on the ventilator, but made it for nine hours on 03/09/08; "holding his own"; update of 03/17/08: not much progress, but no regression, either; update of 03/24/08: "some good days and some bad days; the doctors caring for Herbie are just taking a wait and see approach and playing it by ear day by day"
13. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA? - recovering from surgery on her ankle
14. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"
15. Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) of VA - suffered second massive heart attack - 01/31/08; update of 03/13/08: "is doing very well. She is taking some kind of cardio rehab therapy and she is feeling well enough that she has gone back to work. She's only working 1/2 days..."
16. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
17. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!
18. Catherine Slusser Hudson ('64) of VA - recent surgery on right knee
19. Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - suffered heart attack 02/13/08
20. All of Us
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
2. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/18/08
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/18/08
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
(Rosie & the Originals)
It's just like heaven being here with you
You're like an angel too good to be true
But after all, I love you, I do
Angel Baby, my Angel Baby
When you are near me my heart skips a beat
I can hardly stand on my own two feet
Because I love you, I love you, I do
Angel Baby, my Angel Baby
Oooh, I love you, ooooh I do
No one could love you like I do
oooooooooh oooooooooh oooooooh ooooooh ooooh ooooh oooooooh ooooh oooh
Please never leave me blue and alone
If you ever go I'm sure you'll come back home
Because I love you, I love you, I do
Angel Baby, my Angel Baby
It's just like heaven being with you dear
I could never stay away without you near
because I love you, I love you
I do, Angel Baby, my Angel Baby
Oooooh, I love you, oooh I do. No one could love you like I do.
midi courtesy of
at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/08/05
lyrics - transcribed by Bernadette
also at the suggestion of Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 03/08/05
Thanks again, Dave!
Fly Baby and Bunny clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/pegasus2u_99/Gallery3.htm - 12/31/04
Angel Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/christ-htm/lines-christ1.htm - 12/05/05
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Siuslaw High School's Viking Logo clip art courtesy of http://www.answers.com/topic/minnesotavikings-1000-png - 12/27/07
Hillsboro High School's Topper (Band Version) clip art courtesy of
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Marine Corps Seal clip art
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Animated Military Flag clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965