03/23/08 - NNHS Newsletter
- Matthew 28: 5-6 (KJV)
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Easter Sunday is one of those moveable date holidays, which we have observed here each year in a number of different ways:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/03-27-05-NNHS-Happy-Easter.html - Part I
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/04-08-07-NNHS-Happy-Easter-rel.html - Religious Version
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/04-08-07-NNHS-Happy-Easter-sec.html - Secular Version
Surely your homework is to be found within those pages, so no further assignments will be made today - unless you count the music.
You'll no doubt recognize the strain's of Bach's beloved Passion Chorale ("Ahh, Bach!"), but I've provided you with two sets of lyrics. The first version by LDS poet Karen Lynn Davidson is the one used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as it more closely articulates our doctrines.
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE258kr7GoE - 01/09/08 - Lance - organ / pipe
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQSc4RpFuxU - 07/28/07 - Jeff - fingerstyle guitar solo
BONUS #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcBkfbGWnI - 03/02/08 - Ashland Grace Brethren Church. Shannon Breen directing. Hannah Westfall on Violin
- TODAY AND UPCOMING:
Happy Easter Sunday Birthday to Richard Marshall ('66) of VA!
Happy Easter Monday Birthday this week to Olivia House Brickey ('65) of VA!
Happy Birthday Tuesday to the late Billy Williams ('57) (d. 21 May 2007) AND Joan McKenna Ward ('60) of VA AND Bill Hobbs ('66) of Northern VA!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
HEALTH ALERT AND UPDATE:
1.Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA:
From the Head Cheerleader of 1958, Evelyn Fryer Fish of TX - 03/22/08:
He has recently been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. Please friends, he needs ALL OF YOUR PRAYERS. Thank You.
OHH, Ev! I'm so very sorry to hear this! We'll certainly keep Bobby in our prayers, and we've added him to our Prayer Roll!
2. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA:
From Jean Poole Burton ('64) of RI - 03/22/08 - "Update on Karen Hampton...":
Karen's knee is recovering nicely...we hope to see them when on the sacred soil this coming week!
Love and Happy Easter!
That's great news - thanks, Lady!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 03/18/08 - "The Ultimate Peep Show - Happy Easter!!":
Have a wonderful Easter.
GIGGLES! Thanks, Shari!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 03/19/08 - "Spring up":
OOOH - Pretty! Thanks, Shari!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 03/20/08 - "happy keester- so cute!":
Hope you and your family have a Happy Easter!! Or should I say Happy Keester??
AWWW!!! How cute! Thanks, Joyce!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 03/21/08 - "Fiber-optic flower for you":
THIS FLOWER IS AWESOME, TO YOU FROM ME
You're my friend,
through good times
through happy and sad,
beside me you stand,
beside me you walk,
you 're there to listen,
you're there to talk,
with pain and tears,
I know you'll be there,
throughout the years!
You are all good friends to me
and I am grateful to you.
OOOH!!! Thanks so much, Joyce, this is beautiful!
From Quick Inspirations - 03/22/08 - "Easter Blessings":
From My #1 Daughter-in-Law, Mary Bennett Harty (Litchfield HS, IL - '89) of IL - 03/22/08 - "National Unstable Week":
This coming week is National Mental Health Care week.
You can do your part by remembering to contact at least one unstable person to show you care.
Well, my job is done .....Your turn!
WILD GIGGLES!!! Thanks, Miss Mary! Hug all your "babies" for me - and Happy Easter!
From My Sister, Eleanor Buckley Nowitzky ('59) of NC - 03/22/08:
This is the poem I read at this morning's Easter Cantata practice for the devotional - as you requested.
Jesus and Alexander died at age thirty-three.
One lived and died for self; one died for you and me;
The Greek died on a throne; the Jew died on a cross;
One's life a triumph seemed; the other but a loss.
One lead vast armies forth; the other walked alone.
One shed a whole world's blood; the other gave His own.
One won the world in life and lost it all in death;
The other lost His life to win the whole world's faith.
Jesus and Alexander died at age thirty-three.
One died in Babylon, and one on Calvary.
One gained all for himself; and one Himself He gave,
One conquered every throne; the other every grave.
The one made himself God, and God made Himself less,
The one lived but to blast, the other but to bless.
When died the Greek, forever fell his throne of swords;
But Jesus died to live forever Lord of Lords.
Jesus and Alexander died at age thirty-three.
The Greek made all men slaves; the Jew made all men free.
One built a throne on blood; the other from above.
One won all this earth, to lose all earth and heaven.
The other gave up all, that all to Him be given.
The Greek forever died; the Jew forever lives
He loses all who gets, and wins all things who gives.
- Charles Ross Weede
Thank you, Eleanor, I really like this one! Happy Easter, Lady!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Jerry Allen ('65) of VA - began radiation for cancerlast week of February; it was delayed when he was diagnosed with pneumonia on 02/20/08; update of 03/11/08: recovered from pneumonia, is in his third week of radiation, and seems to be doing well. He is back at work and comes home tired, but overall, he is in pretty good shape.
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP; update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"
3.My Friend Judy of IL - shoulder replacement surgery - 04/22/08
4. Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Me ('65) of NC - recent escalation of shortness of breath, heart and blood pressure problems plus the usual .....; update of 03/12/08: not a great deal of change; still ups and downs
6. Evelyn Casey Snead ('57) of VA - gallbladder surgery on 03/12/08
7. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again
8. Karen Hampton (Hampton HS - '64) of VA - knee surgery on 03/13/08; update of 03/22/08: recovering nicely
9. My Daughter, Adrienne Harty (Hillsboro HS, IL / American School, IL) of NC - slight brain concussion - 03/09/08 - update of 03/14/08: still taking it easy, but probably progressing as well as can be expected
10. Frances Heath Scott ('62) of VA - inflammation of nerves; due to have been released from hospital on 02/27/08
11. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer
12. Heidi Hice MacKay of MI and her Family - stressing over their beloved patriarch since late January 2008; update of 03/17/08: still needing our prayers
13. Herb Hice of MI and the MacKay Family - triple bypass surgery plus carotid artery cleanup - @ 01/25/08; update of 03/10/08: still being sedated while not on the ventilator, but made it for nine hours on 03/09/08; "holding his own"; update of 03/17/08: not much progress, but no regression, either
14. Deloris Jackson Morgan ('66) of VA? - recovering from surgery on her ankle
15. Linda Lamb Stokes (Hampton HS - '66) of VA - surgery of the cervical spine on 3/5/08 to place a new stainless steel plate and screws to eliminate extremely severe pain; update of 03/13/08: "better, but still a bit away from 'good'"
16. Patsy Lewis Hancock ('57) of VA - suffered second massive heart attack - 01/31/08; update of 03/13/08: "is doing very well. She is taking some kind of cardio rehab therapy and she is feeling well enough that she has gone back to work. She's only working 1/2 days..."
17. John London (Warwick HS - '57) of VA - lumbar surgery to fix a spinal stenosis [ laminectomy]; will also involve fusion of vertebrae - 02/05/08
18. Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!
19. Catherine Slusser Hudson ('64) of VA - recent surgery on right knee
20. Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - suffered heart attack 02/13/08
21. All of Us
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Friday and Saturday, May 16 - 17, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1958:
2. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/18/08
3. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008 - NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/18/08
Happy Easter, y'all - and take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Music: Hans L. Hassler, 1564-1612; harm. by Johann Sebastian Bach, 1685-1750
O Savior, Thou Who Wearest a Crown
Text: Karen Lynn Davidson (b. 1943)
O Savior, thou who wearest
O Sacred Head Now Wounded
Bernard of Clairvaux (1091–1153)
"Passion Chorale" midi courtesy of http://romaaeterna.web.infoseek.co.jp/basil/sb038.html - 04/08/06
"O Savior, Thou Who Wearest a Crown" lyrics courtesy of http://www.insideout-acappella.com/lyrics/savior.html - 03/22/08
"O Sacred Head Now Wounded" lyrics courtesy of http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh286.sht - 04/08/06
"Happy Easter" Greeting clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2895/lilycross.html - 04/09/06
Painting, "He Lives" and Harry Anderson's painting, "The Resurrection of Jesus
of http://www.erasmagazine.com/jesus/galeria.shtml - 04/09/06
Muted Flower Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/flowers-htm/flowers_lines_2.htm - 03/22/08
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Litchfield High School's Purple Panther Paw Print courtesy of http://www.litchfield.k12.il.us/ - 06/23/07
Hillsboro High School's Topper (Band Version) clip art courtesy of
American School Logo courtesy of http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/grads.asp - 09/05/06
Marine Corps Seal clip art
Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965