03/12/10 - NNHS Newsletter -
- Popular Adage
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
We're continuing to run Big Band Sounds all this week.
"Minnie the Moocher" is a jazz song first recorded in 1931 by Cab Calloway and His Orchestra, selling over 1 million copies. "Minnie the Moocher" is most famous for its nonsensical ad libbed ("scat") lyrics (for example, "Hi De Hi De Hi De Hi"). In performances, Calloway would have the audience participate by repeating each scat phrase in a form of call and response, eventually Calloway's phrases would become so long and complex that the audience would laugh at their own failed attempts to repeat them.
"Minnie the Moocher" was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999.
BONUS #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nTnawq6jk - Minnie the Moocher - Cab Calloway, 1942
BONUS #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6JUA8cjoY&NR=1 - Minnie the Moocher - The Blues Brothers
And speaking of the Blues Brothers.....
years ago when
Paul (Harty -
Bardolph HS, IL - '61 -
(Harty - Hillsboro HS,
IL / American School, IL - of IL),
Eleanor (Buckley Nowitzky -
'69 - of NC) and
('65 - of IL) were flying
out from Fayetteville to St. Louis for a visit, we had a quick stopover
|And who should we see in the airport but the Blues Brothers themselves?? Well, what could we do? We had to take our pictures with them!|
|Thursday, January 25, 2007 - Chicago's O'Hare Airport|
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Betty Spain Uecker ('63) of VA AND My Daughter-in-Law, Kim Woods Harty (Hillsboro HS, IL / Richard Milburn Academy, FL - '03) of IL!
Happy Birthday this week to:
15 - Joan Williams Eberwine ('57) AND Linda Robinson Gillespie ('71) of VA;
16 - Linda May Bond Crayton ('66) of VA AND Jacque Ray Fisher ('66) of NC;
17 – Barbara Brewer (’69) of VA;
18 - Johnny Mitchell ('57) of VA AND Kay Knight Midkiff Evans ('59) of VA AND Aderon Gibbs ('66) of VA AND Wade Scott ('66) of MO;
19 - Cheryl Mays Howard ('66) of VA!
Many Happy Returns to You All!
THIS DAY IN WWII:
|March 12, 1933 - President Paul von Hindenburg dropped the
flag of the German Republic and ordered that the swastika and empire
banner be flown side by side.
March 12, 1933 - Outside Berlin, the first concentration camp opened at Oranienburg.
March 12, 1938 - The "Anschluss" took place as German troops entered Austria.
March 12, 1947 - U.S. President Harry S. Truman established the Truman Doctrine to help Greece and Turkey resist Communism.
THIS DAY IN 1965:
March 12, 1965 - Baseball player Steve
Finley was born in
Union City, Tennessee.
Friday, March 12, 1965 - Sports journalist Steve Levy was born.
From Edna Whitcomb Harrison ('65) of VA - 03/11/10 - "birthday information":
Please add these to
your birthday lists:
Jack Harrison, Class of 1961, March 23
Edna Harrison, Class of 1965, May 31
Why, certainly, Edna! Thanks so much!
Y'all keep those birth dates a-comin'!
From My Niece, Shari, of VA - 03/11/10 - "Silliness at best.":
|A mid day chuckle or 2. Catch ya next
Having reached an age when the
pigment in my hair is starting to fade, I was looking for some natural
approaches to hair dye and stumbled across these at 5 this morning.
I personally stopped fighting my hair's impulses about 15 months ago. It was beginning to look too much like that first guy.
From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of VA - 03/11/10 - "Coffee Filters":
and a lot less expensive...
Coffee filters ..... Who knew! And you can buy 1,000 at the 'Dollar Tree' for almost nothing even the large ones!!
1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave.. Coffee filters make excellent covers.
2. Clean windows, mirrors, and chrome... Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.
3. Protect China by separating your good dishes with a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.
5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
6.. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.
7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.
9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.
10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes..
11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter..
12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters..
13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. It soaks out all the grease.
14. Keep in the bathroom. They make great "razor nick fixers."
15. As a sewing backing. Use a filter as an easy-to-tear backing for embroidering or appliquéing soft fabrics.
16. Put baking soda into a coffee filter, tie to make a small bag and insert into shoes or a closet to absorb or prevent odors.
17. Use them to strain soup stock and to tie fresh herbs in to put in soups and stews.
18. Use a coffee filter to prevent spilling when you add fluids to your car.
19. Use them as a spoon rest while cooking and clean up small counter spills.
20. Can use to hold dry ingredients when baking or when cutting a piece of fruit or veggies.. Saves on having extra bowls to wash..
21.. Use them to wrap Christmas ornaments for storage.
22. Use them to remove fingernail polish when out of cotton balls.
23. Use them to sprout seeds.. Simply dampen the coffee filter, place seeds inside, fold it and place it into a plastic baggie until they sprout.
24. Use coffee filters as blotting paper for pressed flowers. Place the flowers between two coffee filters and put the coffee filters in phone book..
25. Use as a disposable "snack bowl" for popcorn, chips, etc.
OH, YEAH - THEY ARE GREAT TO USE IN YOUR COFFEE MAKERS, TOO!!
WOWZERS! I had heard a couple of these before, but I had no idea that they were so versatile! Thank you so much, Norris!
From the Daily Press - 03/12/10 - "10 pretty good reasons to love Daylight Saving Time":
From http://www.selfgrowth.com - 03/08/10 - "Fitting In":
Trying to Be Normal - By Michael Beck
Stop trying to be normal.
It undermines your success and keeps you in a state of mediocrity. It's
an interesting phenomenon.
From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of IL - 03/11/10 - "When Grandma goes to Court...":
When Grandma goes to Court...
Lawyers should never ask a
Mississippi grandma a question if they aren't prepared for the answer.
In a trial, a Southern small-town prosecuting attorney called his first witness, a grandmotherly, elderly woman, to the stand. He approached her and asked, 'Mrs. Jones, do you know me?'
She responded, 'Why, yes, I do know you, Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a boy, and frankly, you've been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, and you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs. You think you're a big shot when you haven't the brains to realize you'll never amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes, I know you.'
The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do, he pointed across the room and asked, 'Mrs. Jones, do you know the defense attorney?'
She again replied, 'Why yes, I do. I've known Mr. Bradley since he was a youngster, too. He's lazy, bigoted, and he has a drinking problem. He can't build a normal relationship with anyone, and his law practice is one of the worst in the entire state. Not to mention he cheated on his wife with three different women. One of them was your wife. Yes, I know him.'
The defense attorney nearly died.
The judge asked both counselors to approach the bench and, in a very quiet voice, said, 'If either of you idiots asks her if she knows me, I'll send you both to the electric chair.'
From Judy Phillips Allen ('66) of VA - 02/18/10 - "Panda Therapy (#13 in a Series of 19)":
I love these Panda emails! I hope you get the "warm fuzzies", too!
Is it any wonder the world has fallen in love with these animals?
YOU FEEL BETTER ALREADY?
Yes, I do! Thanks, Judy!
Dear Martha Stewart :
I have this brown stain on my nice, white, fluffy butt...
From Jane Chambers of VA - 07/01/09 AND 02/07/10 - "CNC BOOK BROCHURE & AD" AND 61-62 DECADERS ADDENDA:
Contact Dr. Chambers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FINALLY:From ArcaMax Jokes - 03/10/10:
These are real notes written from parents in a Mississippi School District. (Spellings have been left intact.)
My son is under a doctor's care and should not take P.E. today. Please execute him.
Please excuse Lisa for being absent. She was sick and I had her shot.
Dear School: Please ekscuse John being absent on Jan. 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, and also 33
Please excuse Roland from P.E. for a few days. Yesterday he fell out of a tree and misplaced his hip.
John has been absent because he had two teeth taken out of his face.
Chris will not be in school cus he has an acre in his side.
Please excuse Jimmy for being. It was his father's fault.
I kept Billie home because she had to go Christmas shopping because I don't know what size she wear.
Please excuse Jennifer for missing school yesterday. We forgot to get the Sunday paper off the porch, and when we found it Monday, we thought it was Sunday.
Maryann was absent December 11-16, because she had a fever, sore throat, headache and upset stomach. Her sister was also sick, fever and sore throat, her brother had a low grade fever and ached all over. I wasn't the best either, sore throat and fever. There must be something going around, her father even got hot last night.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, April 16, 17, and 18, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1953 will hold its 57-Year Reunion. For details, contact Robert Walker at email@example.com (757) 596-7722 or Betty Burns at firstname.lastname@example.org (757) 223-9488 -CLASS OF 1953
2. Saturday, April 24, 2010,11:30 AM - The NNHS Class of 1954 will hold a 56-Year Mini-Reunion Luncheon at The Chamberlin. For details, contact Mickey Marcella at email@example.com (757) 249-3800 or Betty Hamby Neher at firstname.lastname@example.org (757) 898-5099 or Dr. Harry Simpson at email@example.com (804) 694-0346 - CLASS OF 1954
3. Saturday, June 12, 2010 - George Wythe Schools Closing Celebration. Contact Glory Gill (Wythe school nurse) at 727-2965 / firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to contribute old memories - OPEN TO PUBLIC
4.Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1970 will hold its 40-Year Reunion. Saturday night will be at the Kiln Creek Golf & Country Club. For details, contact Carol Comer Cutler at email@example.com or visit the reunion website at NNHS1970Reunion.myevent.com - CLASS OF 1970
5. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 6, 7, and 8, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1960 will hold its 50-Year Reunion at the Marriott Newport News at City Center. For details, contact Karen Weinstein Witte at firstname.lastname@example.org - CLASS OF 1960
6.Friday and Saturday, October 15 and 16, 2010 - The NNHS Class of 1965 will hold its 45-Year Reunion at the Point Plaza Hotel, 950 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, Newport News, VA 23601. For details, contact Dave Arnold at email@example.com.
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 01/08/10
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 02/21/10
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
To donate, click on the Donate Button on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks! firstname.lastname@example.org
Minnie the Moocher
Written by Cab Calloway (25 Dec 1907 – 18 Nov 1994) and Irving Mills (16 Jan 1894 - 21 Apr 1985)
Recorded by Cab Calloway and His Orchestra, 1931
Folks, here's the story 'bout Minnie the Moocher
She was a red hot hoochie coocher
She was the roughest, toughest frail
But Minnie had a heart a big as a whale
She messed around with a bloke named Smokey
She loved him, though he was coke-y
He took her down to Chinatown
And he showed her how to kick the gong around
She had a dream about the King of Sweden
He gave her things that she was needin'
Gave her a home built of gold and steel
A diamond car, with the platinum wheels
He gave her a townhouse and his racing horses
Each meal she ate was a dozen courses
She had a million dollars worth of nickels and dimes
She sat around and counted them a million times
(hidey-hi's, one mo' 'gain!)
Poor min, poor min, poor min!
"Minnie the Moocher" midi courtesy of http://members.fortunecity.com/ajsmidi/alpcond/alpha_13/m.html - 03/08/10
"Minnie the Moocher" lyrics courtesy of http://www.lyrics007.com/Cab%20Calloway%20Lyrics/Minnie%20the%20Moocher%20Lyrics.html - 03/11/10
"Minnie the Moocher" Image courtesy ofhttp://www.animationarchive.org/2006/09/biography-berny-wolf-1911-2006.html - 03/12/10
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Hillsboro High School's Topper (Band Version) clip art
American School Logo courtesy of http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/grads.asp - 09/05/06
Animated Piano Keyboard Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.cliphoto.com/index0.htm - 01/23/05
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Animated Laughing Woman courtesy of Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 02/23/09
Animated Laughing Jerry courtesy
of Cookie Phillips Tyndall ('64) of VA - 06/14/06
Animated "Happy Little Rabbits We Are" clip art courtesy of http://users.bigpond.net.au/jellery/index.htm - 04/25/09
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2010
Return to NNHS Class of 1965