02/11/14 - NNHS Newsletter -
“The heart was made to be broken.”
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Here's another sad pre-Valentine's Day love song!
- Only Love Can Break a
Heart - Gene Pitney
|"Only Love Can Break a Heart" is the title of a popular song
from 1962 (see
1962 in music) performed by the American
Gene Pitney. The song was written by
David (words) and
Burt Bacharach (music) and appears on Pitney's second album
Only Love Can Break a Heart.
Pitney had enjoyed some success as a songwriter prior to breaking through as a performer in his own right. He wrote the songs "Hello Mary Lou", "Rubber Ball", and "He's a Rebel", the latter a number-one Billboard Hot 100 hit for The Crystals in 1962. Ironically, Pitney's success as a singer was beginning at this time, and "He's a Rebel" kept "Only Love Can Break a Heart" from topping the Billboard pop chart, where it spent one week at number two., and two weeks atop the Billboard Easy Listening chart in October and November 1962. "Only Love Can Break a Heart" also reached number 16 on the Billboard R&B chart...
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday today to Harmon Gordon ('63) of VA AND Terry Smith ('63)!
Happy Birthday this week to:
13 - Carla Fine Cripps ('65) of South Australia;
14 - Jimmy Parker ('62) of VA AND My Niece, Renee Dick Romulus (Booker T. Washington HS - '80) of Northern VA;
18 - The late Bill Sawyer ('57) (deceased 05/16/06) AND Brooks Bloxom ('64) of NC!
Many Happy Returns to You All!
THIS DAY IN WWII:
|February 11, 1942 - The
Battle of Bukit Timah was fought in
February 11, 1943 - General
Dwight David Eisenhower was selected to command the
allied armies in
THIS DAY IN 1964:
|Tuesday, February 11, 1964 - Greeks and Turks began fighting in Limassol, Cyprus.|
From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph
HS, IL - '61) of NC - 02/10/14 - "Stuff
You Didn't Know You Didn't Know!":
Stuff You Didn't Know
You Didn't Know!
Thanks, Haul Party!
From Jimmy Smith ('62 / '63) of VA -
"The Things I Owe My Parents":
***************************** 1. My
taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE . 25. My
taught me about JUSTICE.
The Things I Owe My Parents
"If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."
2. My parents taught me RELIGION.
"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."
3. My parents taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"
4. My parents taught me LOGIC.
"Because I said so, that's why."
5. My parents taught me MORE LOGIC .
"If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me."
6. My parents taught me FORESIGHT.
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."
7. My parents taught me IRONY.
"Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about.."
8. My parents taught me about the science of OSMOSIS .
"Shut your mouth and eat your supper."
9. My parents taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
"Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!"
10. My parents taught me about STAMINA.
"You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone."
11. My parents taught me about WEATHER.
"This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."
12. My parents taught me about HYPOCRISY.
"If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!"
13. My parents taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.."
14. My parents taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION .
"Stop acting like your father!"
15. My parents taught me about ENVY.
"There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."
16. My parents taught me about ANTICIPATION.
"Just wait until we get home."
17. My parents taught me about RECEIVING .
"You are going to get it when you get home!"
18. My parents taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
"If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to get stuck that way."
19. My parents taught me ESP.
"Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?"
20. My parents taught me HUMOR.
"When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."
21. My parents taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT.
"If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."
22. My parents taught me GENETICS.
"You're just like your father."
23. My parents taught me about my ROOTS.
"Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?"
24. My parents taught me WISDOM.
"When you get to be my age, you'll understand."
And my favorite:
"One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you !"
taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE .
taught me about JUSTICE.
From My Friend, Alice of NV -
02/10/14 - "Learning":
BOY HOWDY! Thanks, Alice!
From My Friend, Rachel of UT - 02/10/14 - "Accident??":
AMEN! Thank you, Rachel!
From Me ('65) of NC - 02/10/14 - "Snaughlin":
This somehow happens to me all the time!
From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of NC - 02/01/14 - "Dogs (#10 in a Series of 26)":
Happy New Year to dog lovers everywhere!
From Jimmy Smith ('62 / '63) of VA - 02/06/14 - "OLD CANS .... (#1 in a Series of 15)":
He used to go to all the public functions...especially the picture theaters. And he always carried a sugar bag to collect empty bottles and cans. His name was... Albert (Tapper) Torney.
Everyone thought he was a bit eccentric and kids would tease and hassle him. Then it was discovered that he sold the empty bottles but only some of the cans.
After he died in 1998 (aged 86) his large collection of model cars made from aluminum cans was discovered.
This goes to prove..."you shouldn't judge a book by its cover" - or a sculptor by his sugar bag. Some of his collection ---- AMAZING!
WOWZERS! Thanks, Jimmy!
From Joan Lauterbach Krause ('60) of VA - 02/10/14 - "Maxine on cold weather (#1 in a Series of 12)":
In light of more snow. Thought you might enjoy these. :) :)
WILD GIGGLES! Thanks, Joan!
BONUS BROKEN HEART CROCHET PATTERN:
BONUS BROKEN HEART RECIPES:
|Love Hurts: Recipes for a Broken Heart|
www.ajokeaday.com - 02/10/14:
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Wednesday, February 12, 2014
- The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second
Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at
the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE
JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference.
Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call
Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
2. Thursday, March 6, 2014 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have friends in that year, go visit with them.
3. Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
4. Friday and Saturday, July 25 and 26, 2014 - The NNHS Class of 1954 will hold a 60-YEAR REUNION in Newport News. Further info from Dr. Harry Simpson at 804 694 0346 or email@example.com, or Mickey Marcella at 757 249 3800 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Betty H. Neher at 757 898 5099 or email@example.com.
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 02/10/14
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 03/13/11
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
Music by Burt Bacharach (b. 12 May 1928)
Words by Hal David (b. 25 May 1921)
"Only Love Can Break a Heart" midi and lyrics courtesy of http://www.jacquedee63.com/onlylovecanbreakaheart.html - 02/11/10
Title Image courtesy of http://www.320x480.org/typography/only-love-can-break-your-heart/ - 02/11/10
Animated Hearts Divider Line # 63 clip art courtesy of http://onyxk8.tripod.com/bars5.html - 02/11/10
Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of
Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of
VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Animated Coast Guard and USMC Flags clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Animated Pulsing Heart courtesy of http://www.gagirl.com/graphics/graphics.html - 02/12/05 (re-saved 02/13/09)
Marine Corps Seal clip art
courtesy of the late Herbert Hice of MI
- one of my
who served in the South
Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!!
Booker T. Washington logo courtesy of http://ww2.nps.k12.va.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=18567 - 09/25/07
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Animated Laughing Woman courtesy of Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 02/23/09
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al
Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still missing...)
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Laughing Kitty courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 10/08/07
Animated Wildly Laughing Dog courtesy of Eva Ellis Madagan ('61) of FL -
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2014
Return to NNHS Class of 1965