02/06/16 - NNHS Newsletter -
“He was superbly mounted
and his side arms gleamed in the morning sun like burnished silver. A long
black ostrich plume
George Neese of
Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown
Stuart, C. S. A.
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Because I so adore Jeb Stuart, today's theme repeats each year.
BONUS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xIOj1x1xWs - Jine the Cavalry - 2nd South Carolina String Band
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday this week to:
Bob Hines ('66) of VA;
09 - Tina Burroughs Farmer ('62) of VA AND Jean Carroll Garner Barger ('63) AND Janice McCain Rose ('65) of Northern VA AND Elliott Smith ('65) of TX?? AND Mary Frances Southall Waller ('66) of VA;
10 - The late Meyera Ellenson Oberndorf ('58) (deceased - 03/14/15) AND Norm Covert ('61) of MD AND the late Bobby Helmer ('61) (deceased 02/26/11) AND the late Bernie Helmer ('61) (deceased 03/12/99) ANDMike Miller ('65) of NC AND Tommy Jenkins ('66) of VA;
12 - Jon Pearl ('57);
Many Happy Returns to You All!
THIS DAY IN WWII:
|February 06, 1942 - The United Kingdom declared war on Thailand.|
THIS DAY IN 1966:
|Sunday, February 06, 1966 - Singer-songwriter Rick Astley was born Richard Paul Astley in Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire, England.|
From My Friend, Susan, of NC - 02/05/15:
|“Thoughts lead to
acts, acts lead to habits, habits lead to character — and our character
will determine our eternal destiny.”
Thanks so much, Susan!
From Mike Lindsay (Menchville HS - '83) of Northern VA - 02/03/16:
Thank YOU so much. I really enjoy the website. No problem using the letter however you would like. Hopefully it will get some folks will contribute. I don’t get a chance to read the website every day but try to look at least once a week.
I see so many names I recall from my dad and even folks that I knew — Coach (Charlie) Nuttycombe, Coach (Horace) Underwood ('61 - of VA), Dr. (Steve) Hochman ('60 - of VA). It’s a real trip down memory lane. One interesting story—I enjoyed the section on “Our Old Apartments.” I actually have a few pictures from my parents' apartment on Belvedere Road in Huntington Heights before we moved to Colony Road when I was one. Colony Road which, by the way, is the ‘hood' these days.
Even being a little younger than most of the readers, I can vividly recall Sears and Leggett's downtown, Suttle Oldsmobile downtown, playing on the train engine at Huntington Park before it was fenced off.
I’m sending you a check for $50 today. Hopefully that will help your current fundraising. Let me know if I can help in any way.
WOWZERS! Thanks again, Mike! I really appreciate your assistance, and I'm so glad you're enjoying the site. Feel free to share your memories with us anytime!
From Bill Hobbs ('66) of Northern VA - 02/05/16 - "Snow Day In DC":
This man is working during
the storm, while the rest of our Federal employees are taking a snow day
off in D.C.
They'll be back in Congress soon to discuss his pay and benefit cuts.
SO OBSCENELY TRUE! Thank you so much, Billy!
From Wayne Agee ('58) of FL - 02/05/16 - "A FUN TRIVIA TRIP FOR SENIORS":
|OK, clear those cob webs and
think: a good memory jogger.
THE ANSWERS WILL BE ON THE TIP OF YOUR TONGUE, BUT YOU JUST CAN'T QUITE REMEMBER THE CORRECT ANSWER.
DON'T LOOK BELOW FOR THE ANSWERS UNTIL YOU HAVE TRIED TO FIGURE IT OUT. DON'T CHEAT!
This is a test for us 'older kids'!
01. After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, Who was that masked man? Invariably, someone would answer, I don't know, but he left this behind. What did he leave behind?________________.
02. When the Beatles first came to the U.S. In early 1964, we all watched them on The ____ ___________ Show.
03. 'Get your kicks, __ _________ _______.'
04. 'The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to _____ _ _____.'
05. 'In the jungle, the mighty jungle, ____ ____ ____ ____.'
06. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we 'danced' under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the '_____.'
07. Nestle's makes the very best.... _________.'
08. Satchmo was America 's 'Ambassador of Goodwill.' Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was ______ ___________.
09. What takes a licking and keeps on ticking? _______.
10. Red Skeleton's hobo character was named ______ ___ ________ and Red always ended his television show by saying, 'Good Night, and '________ ________ '
11. Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their ______ _______.
12. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front was called the VW. What other names did it go by? ___ & _______.
13. In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, 'the day the music died.' This was a tribute to _______ ____________.
14. We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit. The Russians did it. It was called __________.
15. One of the big fads of the late 50's and 60's was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist. It was called the ______ _____ .
16. Remember LS/MFT _____ _____/_____ _____ _____?
17. Hey Kids! What time is it? It's _____ ______ _____!
18. Who knows what secrets lie in the hearts of men? Only The _____ Knows!
19. There was a song that came out in the 60's that was "a grave yard smash". It's name was the ______ ______!
20. Alka Seltzer used a "boy with a
tablet on his head" as it's Logo/Representative. What was the boy's
From George Helliesen ('61) of VA - 02/05/16 - "Incredible, eh?":
|This bears/bares viewing.
From Candy Hixson Whitley (Ferguson HS - '68) of VA - 02/05/16:
People say these all the time - the worst is using the word "myself"
incorrectly. My husband and myself went to the movies. Eek!!! Idiots!
What happened to I and me?? Please people, learn to speak English,
correctly. Rant over.
Thanks so much, Candy! Rant away anytime - especially on this subject!
From My Granddaughter, Rachel Harty (Collinsville HS, IL - '14) of UT - 02/05/16:
Dihydrogen monoxide prevents us from achieving world peace.
Thanks, Rachel! I needed that!
|“Tell them to stand
From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of NC - 01/05/16 - "TO MY FRIENDS WHO THINK THEY HAVE SEEN EVERYTHING (#27 in a series of 60)":
I think you will enjoy this!
OOH! Thanks, Dools!
|BONUS VALENTINE CROCHET PATTERNS:|
Terry Day's Heart Pocket Note Holder
http://pattern-paradise.com/2014/01/31/free-crochet-pattern-sachets-and-trinkets/ - Maria's Sachets of Love
BONUS SOUTHERN RECIPES:
http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/sweet_potato_bake/ - Paula Deen's Sweet Potato Bake
http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/pineapple_casserole/ - Paula Deen's Pineapple Casserole
- Paula Deen's Shepherd’s Pie
FINALLY:From http://www.ajokeaday.com - 02/05/15:
A large group of ISIS fighters in Iraq were moving down a road when they heard a voice call from behind a sand dune: "One Marine is better than ten ISIS fighters."
The ISIS commander quickly ordered 10 of his best men over the dune where a gun battle broke out and continued for a few minutes, then silence.
The voice once again called out: "One Marine is better than one hundred ISIS 'S.O.B.'s'."
Furious, the ISIS commander sent his next best 100 troops over the dune and instantly a huge gun fight commenced. After 10 minutes of battle, again silence.
The voice called out again: "One Marine is better than a thousand ISIS fighters."
The enraged ISIS commander mustered 1,000 fighters and sent them to the other side of the dune. Rifle fire, machine guns, grenades, rockets and cannon fire rang out as a terrible fight was fought ... then silence.
Eventually, one badly wounded ISIS fighter crawled back over the dune and with his dying words told his commander, "Don't send any more men ... it's a trap. There're two of them."
DATES TO REMEMBER:
|1. Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.|
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 01/20/16
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 03/13/11
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
Carol Buckley Harty
7020 Lure Court
Fayetteville, NC 28311-9309
2.Go to www.PayPal.com, log in, select "Send Money (Services) to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
3. Just mail it directly to my home. Thanks!
Jine the Cavalry!
Jine the Cavalry!
"Jine the Cavalry" midi courtesy of
and extracted by my # 5 son, Nathaniel Harty of IL - 01/18/05
"Jine thCavalry" lyrics courtesy of http://mariah.stonemarche.org/livhis/cavalry.htm - 01/17/05
First J. E. B. Stuart Image courtesy of http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/General_JEB_Stuart.htm - 01/18/05 (re-saved 02/06/09)
Second J. E. B. Stuart Image courtesy of http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/General_JEB_Stuart.htm - 12/11/02 (re-saved 02/06/09)
Large Confederate Divider Bar clip art courtesy of http://www.tennessee-scv.org/Camp1513/clipart6.htm - 01/18/05 (re-saved 02/06/09)
Small Confederate Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.cybergifs.com/confederate/indexr1.html - 05/31/06 (re-saved 02/06/09)
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!
Animated Army Flag clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of
http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Animated Dancing Teddy courtesy of Sandi Bateman Chestnut ('65) of VA - 03/08/11
Ferguson High School's Anchor clip art courtesy of
(FHS - '72) of NC
Collinsville High School (IL) Logo courtesy of http://www.kahoks.org/chs/ - 09/22/07
Animated Laughing Cat courtesy
of Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 07/29/08
Animated Pulsing Heart courtesy of http://www.gagirl.com/graphics/graphics.html - 02/12/05 (re-saved 02/13/09)
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2016
Return to NNHS Class of 1965