01/29/15 - NNHS Newsletter
“Life is a mosaic of pleasure and pain -
grief is an interval between two moments
Sri Sathya Sai Baba
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
It's a little known fact that I'm almost as big a Marty Robbins fan as I am of Frank Sinatra. Shhhh. It'll be our secret. Yes, I know this is really a Bobby Darin song. Don't confuse my "mind" with facts.
BONUS - Eighteen Yellow Roses - Marty Robbins
|... In 1962, Darin began to write and sing country music, with hit songs including "Things" (US #3/UK #2) (1962), "You're the Reason I'm Living" (US #3), and "18 Yellow Roses" (US #10). The latter two were recorded by Capitol Records, which he joined in 1962, before returning to Atlantic four years later. In 1966, he had his final UK hit single, with a version of Tim Hardin's "If I Were A Carpenter", which peaked at # 9. He performed the opening and closing songs on the soundtrack of the 1965 Walt Disney film That Darn Cat!. "Things" was sung by Dean Martin in the 1967 TV special Movin' With Nancy, starring Nancy Sinatra....|
Happy Birthday today to Nancy Keesee (Tucker) Crawley ('57) of TX AND HP Lucas ('65) of VA!
Happy Birthday tomorrow to Jackie Belote Ward ('63) of VA AND Charlie Phillips ('65) of TN AND Brenda Shepard McCoy ('67) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
31 - Lynn Stewart Schroeder ('71) of NC;John Patterson ('59) of TN AND Alan Nesbitt ('64) of NC!
05 - The late Dickie Krause ('57) (deceased - 12/27/99) AND Stephanie Spritzer Gellman ('63) of CT AND Charles Braslow ('65) of the Virgin Islands AND Mark Hutcherson ('66) of VA!
Many Happy Returns to you all!
THIS DAY IN WWII:
Alexandros Koryzis became
Prime Minister of Greece upon the sudden death of his
January 29, 1943 - On the first day of the
Battle of Rennell Island, U.S. cruiser Chicago was
torpedoed and heavily damaged by Japanese bombers.
1944 - The
Battle of Cisterna took place in central
January 29, 1944 - Approximately 38 men, women, and children died in the Koniuchy massacre in Poland.
THIS DAY IN 1965:
|Friday, January 29, 1965 - Ice hockey player Dominik Hašek was born in Pardubice, Czechoslovakia.|
From Judy Phillips Allen ('66) of VA - 01/28/15 - "New meaning for mid flight refueling - beautiful":
|This is so cool! So
relaxing to watch....and beautiful.
New meaning for mid flight refueling - beautiful
OOH! Thank you so much, Dearest Judy!
From George Helliesen ('61) of MI - 01/28/15 - "Men are just happier":
Men Are Just Happier People
What do you expect from such simple creatures?
Men Are Just Happier People
· If Laura, Kate and Sarah go out for lunch, they will call each other Laura, Kate and Sarah.
· If Mike, Dave and John go out, they will affectionately refer to each other as Fat Boy, Bubba and Wildman .
· When the bill arrives, Mike, Dave and John will each throw in $20, even though it's only for $32.50. None of them will have anything smaller and none will actually admit they want change back.
· When the girls get their bill, out come the pocket calculators.
· A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs.
· A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
· A man has six items in his bathroom: toothbrush and toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, a bar of soap, and a towel.
· The average number of items in the typical woman's bathroom is 337. A man would not be able to identify more than 20 of these items.
· A woman has the last word in any argument.
· Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
· A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.
· A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.
· A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't.
· A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change, but she does.
· A woman will dress up to go shopping, water the plants, empty the trash, answer the phone, read a book, and get the mail.
· A man will dress up for weddings and funerals.
· Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
· Women somehow deteriorate during the night.
· Ah, children. A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist appointments and romances, best friends, favorite foods, secret fears and hopes and dreams.
· A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
this to the women who have a sense of humor and who can handle it ....
"Ain't it da truth?!? Thanks, George!
BONUS YELLOW ROSES CROCHET PATTERNS:
BONUS YELLOW FOODS RECIPES:
http://www.yummly.com/recipes/yellow-food - WOWZERS! A plethora of yummies!
DATES TO REMEMBER:
Eighteen Yellow Roses
and recorded by
Bobby Darin, 1963
Marty Robbins, 19__
"Eighteen Yellow Roses" midi (sequenced by Ron Tilden) and lyrics - http://www.jacquedee63.com/eighteenyellowroses.html - 01/30/10 (sic)
Image of Eighteen Yellow Roses courtesy of http://bellagardenflorals.blogspot.com/ - 01/31/10 (sic)
Animated Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty
('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al
Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still missing...)
Air Force Seal clip art courtesy of http://www1.va.gov/opa/feature/celebrate/milsongs.htm - 07/07/06
Animated Military Flags clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Laughing Kitty courtesy of Tom Flax ('64) of VA - 06/03/06
Laughing Jerry courtesy of Cookie Phillips Tyndall ('64) of VA - 06/14/06
Animated Wildly Laughing Dog courtesy of Eva Ellis Madagan ('61) of FL -
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2015