01/19/14 - NNHS Newsletter
Robert E. Lee’s 207th Birthday
“You can have
anything you want - if you want it badly enough.
You can be anything you want to be, have anything you desire,
accomplish anything you set out to accomplish -
if you will hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.”
Robert Edward Lee
(19 Jan 1807 - 12 Oct 1870)
Friends and Schoolmates,
We try to celebrate this
very special day dear to the heart of all Virginians each year.
Ashokan Farewell - Jay
Ungar & Molly Mason Family Band
From My Daughter-in-Law, Laura Adams Harty
- '95) of AL
- 01/18/14 - "RE:
IL - '90):
He says to say, "Laura is
my angel pie. She saved me."
I told him that would be
weird if I were to tell you that, but he made me. He says he wants to
talk, but his throat hurts because of the tube...
Laura! Kiss him for us!
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday tomorrow
Ware Morrison ('63) of VA!
Happy Birthday this week to:
Bruce Sims ('56) of VA
Carolyn Clark Wilt ('57)
Sandra Sherman Filippo ('57)
('63) of NY;
Chandler Nelms (Hampton HS - '63) of
Jeannie Collier Fitzgerald ('65)
Sharon Weaver Knowles ('63) of VA AND
Charis Bean Duke
(Governor Thomas Johnson HS, MD - '85) of PA!
Many Happy Returns to You All!
THIS DAY IN WWII:
January 19, 1945 -
forces liberated the
Łódź ghetto. Of more than 200,000 inhabitants in 1940, less than 900
had survived the
January 19, 1946 - General
Douglas MacArthur established the
International Military Tribunal for the Far East in Tokyo to try
January 19, 1977 - U.S.
Gerald Ford pardoned
Iva Toguri D'Aquino (a.k.a. "Tokyo
January 19, 1983 -
Nazi war criminal
Barbie was arrested in
THIS DAY IN 1964:
Sunday, January 19, 1964 - Singer-songwriter and basketball
Ricardo Arjona was born Edgar Ricardo Arjona Morales in
Sunday, January 19, 1964 - Cyclist
Firmin Lambot (b. 14 Mar 1886 in
died at the age of 77.
1. From Diane Sandler Marcus Marks ('69)
of MD - 01/17/14 - "Change":
Thanks again for
everything you do to keep us all connected!
How wonderful! Thanks for letting us know, Diane!
I've amended your entry
on the Alumni Page for your
('60) of TX - 01/18/14 - "GOSPEL MUSIC
BEANS! Thanks, Glenn!
From Jimmy Smith ('62 / '63) of VA -
01/17/14 - "Paraprosdokians":
Winston Churchill loved them.
They are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or
phrase is surprising or unexpected, and are frequently humorous.
there's a will, I want to be in it.
2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you.
But it's still on my list.
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
5. We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
6. War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in
a fruit salad.
8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
9. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
10. In filling out an application, where it says, 'In case of emergency,
Notify:' I put 'DOCTOR'.
11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street
with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
13. I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you
hit the target.
15. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing
in a garage makes you a car.
16 You're never too old to learn something stupid.
17. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and
harder for me to find one now.
You can’t help but smile.
How adorable! Thanks, George!
MARY ANNA CUSTIS LEE'S
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/general-robert-e-lee-cake-ii/ - "A
luxurious lemony cake with a lemon curd filling, and a coconut citrus
frosting. A beautiful cake for Easter - an old and grand recipe and
worth all the effort. BUT, it is a LOT of effort and very
"Everybody should pay
their taxes with a smile," said Bob. "I tried it but they wanted cash."
DATES TO REMEMBER:
2. Wednesday, February 12, 2014
- The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second
Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at
the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE
JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference.
Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call
Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.