01/10/14 - NNHS Newsletter - Linger
much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves,
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Here's a Golden Oldie from, uh... 21 years ago.....
BONUS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Kspj3OO0s - Linger - The Cranberries, 1993
|"Linger" is a song composed by Irish musicians Dolores O'Riordan and Noel Hogan of the rock band The Cranberries, released in 1993. The song, which has an acoustic arrangement featuring a string section, became the band's first major hit, peaking at #3 in the Republic of Ireland, #8 in the United States and #14 in the UK.|
THIS WEEK'S BIRTHDAYS:
Happy Birthday today to Peggy Taylor Hudson ('57) AND Suzanne Mason Haff (NNHS / Warwick HS - '61) of NC AND the late Bob Parrish ('68) of Northern VA!
Happy Birthday tomorrow to My Brother-in-Law, the late Miles Nowitzky (Granby HS - '50)(d. 07 May 2005) AND Frances Goodson Wang ('65) of MD AND Ron Haney ('65) of VA AND Ron Smith ('65) of VA AND Barbara Dye Hensley ('69) of VA AND FlyLady of NC!
Happy Birthday this week to:
13 - My Grandson, Hunter Huber of AL;
14 - Ronnie Todd ('63);
15 - The late Skippy Weitz ('57) (deceased 22 Nov 2012) AND Mary Markiewich Hux ('67) of VA;
16 - Johanne Coates Richardson ('57) AND Howard Smith ('63) of VA AND Steve Kiger ('66) of VA;
17 - Chuck Anspach ('60) of NC!
Many Happy Returns to You All!
THIS DAY IN WWII:January10, 1941 - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Lend-Lease program was brought before the U.S. Congress for consideration. The program was aimed at aiding Britain in its war effort against Germany.
January 10, 1941 - The
January 10, 1942 - Japanese troops invaded the Dutch East Indies.
January 10, 1946 - The first General Assembly of the United Nations opened in London. Fifty-one nations were represented.
THIS DAY IN 1964:
|Friday, January 10, 1964 - Actor Tony Gardner was born in Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire, England.|
From Jimmy Smith ('62 / '63) of VA - 01/09/14 - "The Perks of Being Over 60 and Heading Toward 70":
The Perks of Being Over 60 and Heading Toward 70
1. Kidnappers are not very interested in you.
2. In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.
3. No one expects you to run--anywhere.
4. People call at 9 pm and ask, Did I wake you????
5. People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
6. There is nothing left to learn the hard way.
7. Things you buy now won't wear out.
8. You can eat supper at 4 pm.
9. You can live without sex but not your glasses.
10. You get into heated arguments about pension plans.
11. You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.
12. You quit trying to hold your stomach in no matter who walks into the room.
13. You sing along with elevator music.
14. Your eyes won't get much worse.
15. Your investment in health insurance is finally beginning to pay off.
16. Your joints are more accurate meteorologists than the national weather service.
17. Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.
18. Your supply of brain cells is finally down to manageable size.
19. You can't remember who sent you this list!
And you notice these are all in Big Print for your convenience.
From George Helliesen ('61) of MI - 01/04/14 - "Paws for a Smile (#7 in a Series of 17)":
BONUS CROCHET PATTERNS (Sorry; not theme-related):
BONUS RECIPES (Sorry; not theme-related):http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bacon-wrapped-smokies/detail.aspx - Bacon Wrapped Smokies - "Time consuming but it is well worth it! The brown sugar and bacon grease combine beautifully and give such a great taste." This is my version of sausage gravy...the best! Pour over hot biscuits (I use store bought.) Follow these directions and you won't be disappointed! Very fattening and Umm Umm Good!" This is a great recipe that you can fix to your taste! The longer it simmers the better. Top with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Enjoy
DATES TO REMEMBER:
Thursday, February 6, 2014 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds
Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month
at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above
Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon
is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have friends
in that year, go visit with them.
2. Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.
http://www.nnhs65.com/requests-prayers.html - updated 12/30/13
http://nnhs.wordpress.com/ - updated 03/13/11
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
Carol Buckley Harty
7020 Lure Court
Fayetteville, NC 28311-9309
2.Go to www.PayPal.com, log in, select "Send Money (Services) to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
3. Just mail it directly to my home. Thanks!
Written by Dolores O'Riordan(b. 06 Sept 1971) and Noel Hogan (b. 25 Dec 1971)
Recorded byThe Cranberries, 1993
"Linger" midi courtesy of http://torgo.978.org/~jw/midi/Cranberries/ - 01/12/13"Linger" lyrics courtesy of http://www.elyrics.net/read/c/cranberries-lyrics/linger-lyrics.html - 01/12/13
Doves and Roses Clip art courtesy of
http://www.bizart.com/valentine/valentines-icons.html - 02/12/05
Flower Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.wtv-zone.com/nevr2l82/bars18.html - 07/18/09
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy ofSarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Animated Navy and Army Flags clip art courtesy of http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/KevsGifsGalore/Patriotic.html - 06/18/03
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Animated Laughing Kitty courtesy of Tom Flax ('64) of VA - 06/03/06
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2014
Return to NNHS Class of 1965